Is this ich or velvet?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went downstairs and looked at my tang (Blue eye kole), one side of him has white specks.. is this ich?

image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it’s velvet in it’s early stages since the spots are all grouped kind of closely to eachother

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it’s velvet in it’s early stages since the spots are all grouped kind of closely to eachother
Does not look like velvet to me but the picture is not perfect. Is this a new fish? 90% plus of all new tangs have velvet or ich in my experience. Actually in my experience it is 100%.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely lymphocystis which is viral and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet ?
What is your maintenance schedule and what foods are you feeding?
What test kits are you using ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a better image of it..
3222EE2D-4F68-4D6B-B334-CD24FD002937.jpeg
Sometimes (more often than not) nobody can identify a disease based on just seeing a few spots. It takes some additional symptoms to develop in order to determine what the cause is.

I see a few larger diffuse spots - so that rules out ich or velvet. For ich, the spots will be smaller, and more discrete, with sharper detail. Velvet doesn't show spots until later on in the infection - at first you'll just see rapid breathing. It could be Lymphocystis, but those lesions usually show up on the trailing edges of the fins first.

Could be random knocks/scrapes. Could also be the start of flukes.

In the end, the fish's history will also help tell us what the likely issues might be:

How long have you had the fish?
Did it go through any quarantine?
Is it breathing normal, feeding normal?

Jay

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely lymphocystis which is viral and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet ?
What is your maintenance schedule and what foods are you feeding?
What test kits are you using ?
Red Sea test kits, my water change is every weekend, Hes fed every day (Usually throughout the day/evening depending on where I am that day)
- Mysis and Brine,
- Algae (Film & Macro)
- Algae wafers.
I wonder if this was anything to do with it because a few days ago I came home and saw this.
0CF54D75-B97A-4FFF-A6FA-5A85F1A049D1.jpeg

I don’t know if that was stress but the next day he was back to normal and looking Brown with yellow tips on the tail. Usually when he “Displays” his stripes and spots are electric blue and the tail is bright yellow so I don’t think it was displaying.
In the end, the fish's history will also help tell us what the likely issues might be:

How long have you had the fish?
Did it go through any quarantine?
Is it breathing normal, feeding normal?

Jay
It’s breathing normally, no sign of anything after September, everyone else in the tank is happy as it is and eating everything and anything.
I have had it coming on 2 years and it went through QT at the LFS (I don’t personally QT because I find my fish to survive better and my LFS does QT every month or so, so usually I try to get a fish after they QT)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea test kits, my water change is every weekend, Hes fed every day (Usually throughout the day/evening depending on where I am that day)
- Mysis and Brine,
- Algae (Film & Macro)
- Algae wafers.
I wonder if this was anything to do with it because a few days ago I came home and saw this.
0CF54D75-B97A-4FFF-A6FA-5A85F1A049D1.jpeg

I don’t know if that was stress but the next day he was back to normal and looking Brown with yellow tips on the tail. Usually when he “Displays” his stripes and spots are electric blue and the tail is bright yellow so I don’t think it was displaying.

It’s breathing normally, no sign of anything after September, everyone else in the tank is happy as it is and eating everything and anything.
I have had it coming on 2 years and it went through QT at the LFS (I don’t personally QT because I find my fish to survive better and my LFS does QT every month or so, so usually I try to get a fish after they QT)

I just now noticed the time/date stamps on these messages - so now I'm confused! The original spots showed up back at the beginning of September? Nobody responded until yesterday (sorry). If the same spots are in the same location since then, it is definitely not lymphocystis, ich or velvet and is also unlikely to be flukes - all of those diseases will progress or resolve in that amount of time. All I can tell you is the fish may have some scarring from a previous injury.

Jay

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just now noticed the time/date stamps on these messages - so now I'm confused! The original spots showed up back at the beginning of September? Nobody responded until yesterday (sorry). If the same spots are in the same location since then, it is definitely not lymphocystis, ich or velvet and is also unlikely to be flukes - all of those diseases will progress or resolve in that amount of time. All I can tell you is the fish may have some scarring from a previous injury.

Jay
Yeah, the spots appeared in September then vanished completely a week later. I’m still confused at what it was and wonder if the abnormal colouration was a hint to what it was but it’s strange he went very light (The brown was almost a light maroon).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back