Is this Ich, velvet or perhaps flukes?

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My bristletooth started having some white spots appear the other day after a power outage that shut off the tank for a few hours. Poor thing was stressed. At first it was a few, then more and then too many. I performed a 20% water change and tested the water, all good on that (0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate and 7.8 ph which I know is a little low but I have had this tank set up for several months now). I also added the recommended dose of prazipro and the color improved and started picking at the rocks again a little. However throughout the day I fiest noticed its slime coat sloughing off which made me think brook for a hot second. Thankfully that did stop within a few hours, but that also brought up the idea of perhaps mucus plugs? Then I definitely saw black ich which I know is turbellaria and is sometimes a secondary infection after velvet has set in place. My eyes are not as good as they used to be so I need ya'lls help! Does this look like ich or velvet? I have had velvet in other fish and this tang looked like it had a powder dusting earlier along with what looked like large enough trophonts. I have all the meds ready for pretty much everything and setting up a hospital tank as I write this.

I have also attatched a video which hopefully helps? 20230914_192952.jpg 20230914_194800.jpg

Attachments

• 20230914_194910.mp4
    18.8 MB
OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, This is a 75 gallon flowr with this white tail bristletooth tang, the lemon peel angel, 2 clowns and 3 damsels. Everyone gets a long well! The clowns and damsels show no sign of any infection other than what looks like an occasional white spot on one of the damsels.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you upload the video as a YouTube link - general attachments don’t always work.
With velvet, the white dusting usually doesn’t appear. The main symptom is going to be fast breathing associated with swimming into flow.
I’d be inclined to say ich from the pics alone, so treating with copper in qt wouldn’t hurt, and could catch velvet as well.

OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok! Thank you for the heads up on that!

Just uploaded on yt!
Here is the link

I was suspecting ich at first due to the stress but then everything else started appearing which made me second guess myself. My lemon peel is experiencing rapid breathing but thankfully is moving around like normal.

OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I know this stressed out the fish more, the whole ordeal was done in less than 15 seconds. So far it seems to be ok. Almost done setting up the hospital tank, which is actually bigger than their current home Very slowly converting all of my old freshwater tanks to salt.

OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently both are in qt and neither are looking so good. I have the tank already at therapeutic levels of copper but they are now laying on their sides and heavily breathing. I'm running 2 airstones and 3 hobs to create enough aeration. The tang was ok at first and was swimming around, that was around 3 am ish. I first did a fw dip and that seemed to perk them up. I then did a ruby rally bath before placing them in the qt tank. Should I take them out and place them in another tank (certainly not back in the dt)? I have a small 10g that I can set up asap

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently both are in qt and neither are looking so good. I have the tank already at therapeutic levels of copper but they are now laying on their sides and heavily breathing. I'm running 2 airstones and 3 hobs to create enough aeration. The tang was ok at first and was swimming around, that was around 3 am ish. I first did a fw dip and that seemed to perk them up. I then did a ruby rally bath before placing them in the qt tank. Should I take them out and place them in another tank (certainly not back in the dt)? I have a small 10g that I can set up asap

I'm concerned that the fish have been even more stressed by moving them to a QT. So - the tang and the angelfish are in there? What size tank are they in now? Is it smaller than the 10 gallon? If not, I don't see any benefit to moving them to the 10 gallon.

Don't forget, if these fish DO have an external parasite issue, all of the fish in your display have been exposed.

I think you may have jumped the gun with so many treatments at once - praziquantel, then moving the fish, then FW dip, Ruby Reef and Copper is a lot of stress.

I don't see black ich on the tang. that typically shows up on newly acquired fish. The spots in the first picture could be ich, but could also be dust/debris or mucus plugs.

Jay

OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned that the fish have been even more stressed by moving them to a QT. So - the tang and the angelfish are in there? What size tank are they in now? Is it smaller than the 10 gallon? If not, I don't see any benefit to moving them to the 10 gallon.

Don't forget, if these fish DO have an external parasite issue, all of the fish in your display have been exposed.

I think you may have jumped the gun with so many treatments at once - praziquantel, then moving the fish, then FW dip, Ruby Reef and Copper is a lot of stress.

I don't see black ich on the tang. that typically shows up on newly acquired fish. The spots in the first picture could be ich, but could also be dust/debris or mucus plugs.

Jay
Thanks for replying Jay! So I moved them initially to a 125g qt tank. I should have scattered them out but it was roughly 24 hours in between prazi/ water change and then putting them in the fw dip/ruby bath (did a shorter bath time) and then in the 125 qt tank. I was following the advice of someone on a fb group post (probably my first mistake). Sadly the angel just passed but the tang still is moving. I do too, feel like it was too much so I took the tang out of the 125 and put it in a 10g that I set up. It seems to be doing better. I will be trying to forgo adding additional stress. I mistook the potential bacterial infection for black ich (I did successfully treat black ich in a new pbt tang once that later passed due to something else a few years back). For the others, should I place them in the 10g qt too? I worry that it's a small space. Is ttm the preferred way to treat ich these days? I'm still very new to sw diseases despite being semi-knowledgable about what they do to fish. Totally different from the freshwater side!

OP
OP
Fanaticfishlady

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh oops! I tried to reply on my phone but included all of the previous posts still trying to get used to this forum

Thanks for replying Jay! So I moved them initially to a 125g qt tank. I should have scattered them out but it was roughly 24 hours in between prazi/ water change and then putting them in the fw dip/ruby bath (did a shorter bath time) and then in the 125 qt tank. I was following the advice of someone on a fb group post (probably my first mistake). Sadly the angel just passed but the tang still is moving. I do too, feel like it was too much so I took the tang out of the 125 and put it in a 10g that I set up. It seems to be doing better. I will be trying to forgo adding additional stress. I mistook the potential bacterial infection for black ich (I did successfully treat black ich in a new pbt tang once that later passed due to something else a few years back). For the others, should I place them in the 10g qt too? I worry that it's a small space. Is ttm the preferred way to treat ich these days? I'm still very new to sw diseases despite being semi-knowledgable about what they do to fish. Totally different from the freshwater side!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back