Is this ich?

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a juvenile blue tang and it looked great for the first week. I just noticed today some white spots on his tail and side of body. I’ve never dealt with fish disease before and try to buy from stores that quarantine. I know this blue tang was quarantined before I bought it supposedly

Curious as to what this is?
I looked at photos of ich and it seems like ich is smaller white dots but I’m not sure

Please let me know thoughts
Thanks

19BFF029-8B3D-4C03-A052-4E771A4E2BF1.jpeg 0AB4ABA2-C976-4599-8841-DFC39E81EB40.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a juvenile blue tang and it looked great for the first week. I just noticed today some white spots on his tail and side of body. I’ve never dealt with fish disease before and try to buy from stores that quarantine. I know this blue tang was quarantined before I bought it supposedly

I looked at photos of ich and it seems like ich is smaller white dots but I’m not sure

Thanks

19BFF029-8B3D-4C03-A052-4E771A4E2BF1.jpeg 0AB4ABA2-C976-4599-8841-DFC39E81EB40.jpeg
@vetteguy53081

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

I’m would try and get a more clear pic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks

It does not look like ich - but does look like an injury of some kind - from shipping, other fish, etc. Assuming I'm looking at the places you are - there may also be some part of stress coloration. Have you QT'd it or treated it at all with anything that would take care of flukes? As mentioned - a better picture would be helpful - the fins do look a bit clamped in the pictures

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like ich - but does look like an injury of some kind - from shipping, other fish, etc. Assuming I'm looking at the places you are - there may also be some part of stress coloration. Have you QT'd it or treated it at all with anything that would take care of flukes? As mentioned - a better picture would be helpful - the fins do look a bit clamped in the pictures
Alright yeah stress coloration could make sense. I didn’t QT or treat with anything and I’m not sure how extensive the store’s quarantine procedure is. Just tried to take some more pics and this is the clearest photo I could get

Attachments

• 578AC0D2-6E1F-42BF-9A4C-B57C9EAD94AA.jpeg
    578AC0D2-6E1F-42BF-9A4C-B57C9EAD94AA.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the terrible photo but I just noticed now that the lights are blue that there are a few tiny dots that look more like ich on his fin and body. Thoughts?

Attachments

• D3FD0B91-0888-4DF7-8C9B-23BCF30627C6.jpeg
    D3FD0B91-0888-4DF7-8C9B-23BCF30627C6.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 55

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks

Tough pics to work with as there are spots on the glass and fish is distant but there is nothing suggesting ich in pics. These guys do pick up sand onto their skin which can be gone by morning. Ich generally moves and multiplies in 24-36 hours and this time frame will help determine

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the terrible photo but I just noticed now that the lights are blue that there are a few tiny dots that look more like ich on his fin and body. Thoughts?
I am no expert. I have seen other posts and it looks like it may be ick but I honestly cant help.

@vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal

Would know

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough pics to work with as there are spots on the glass and fish is distant but there is nothing suggesting ich in pics. These guys do pick up sand onto their skin which can be gone by morning. Ich generally moves and multiplies in 24-36 hours and this time frame will help determine
Alright thanks for the response! The specks I’m noticing may just be sand. I’m just hyper aware now that I noticed the weird white bruise area. I was thinking the same thing- wait until tomorrow and go from there. Hopefully he’ll be looking better. If not I may just return him to the store as I unfortunately don’t have a spare tank large enough to set up a QT tank for him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright thanks for the response! The specks I’m noticing may just be sand. I’m just hyper aware now that I noticed the weird white bruise area. I was thinking the same thing- wait until tomorrow and go from there. Hopefully he’ll be looking better. If not I may just return him to the store as I unfortunately don’t have a spare tank large enough to set up a QT tank for him
Saw the bruise which may be injury and should heal on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The first images seem to show a bite mark - what other fish are in with it?

The last photo has a couple of smaller white spots that could be ich, or could be sand or something else like mucus plugs. The trick there is to watch them closely every day. If the spots just go away, it was sand or something else that was minor. If the spots stay there for days, in the same location, it isn't ich, likely mucus plugs. Ich will show as tiny white spots that come and go and change location day to day, gradually increasing in number.

Jay

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first images seem to show a bite mark - what other fish are in with it?

The last photo has a couple of smaller white spots that could be ich, or could be sand or something else like mucus plugs. The trick there is to watch them closely every day. If the spots just go away, it was sand or something else that was minor. If the spots stay there for days, in the same location, it isn't ich, likely mucus plugs. Ich will show as tiny white spots that come and go and change location day to day, gradually increasing in number.

Jay
Only other fish are yellow watchman goby, hi ray fin goby, sailfin tang, yellow blenny, and possum wrasse. Not sure what could have caused the bruise

Thankfully the store took him back yesterday and put it in their quarantine tank. They confirmed it looks like early stages of ich. I’m now planning on using Kordon Ich Attack to treat the tank for management, thankfully I don’t see any ich on the other fish yet but I want to be safe rather than sorry

Has anyone used Ich Attack before?

Thanks for the help everyone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other fish are yellow watchman goby, hi ray fin goby, sailfin tang, yellow blenny, and possum wrasse. Not sure what could have caused the bruise

Thankfully the store took him back yesterday and put it in their quarantine tank. They confirmed it looks like early stages of ich. I’m now planning on using Kordon Ich Attack to treat the tank for management, thankfully I don’t see any ich on the other fish yet but I want to be safe rather than sorry

Has anyone used Ich Attack before?

Thanks for the help everyone
That product is touted as a natural herbal remedy. It contains napthquinolones which do have cytologic activity. However, this material does not show up in any of my fish disease formularies. As with many “reef safe” medications, the dose needs to be low enough not to harm the invertebrates, but that also makes the material less toxic to the targeted parasites.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back