Is this Ich?

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ich.jpg

if you look closely you can see a single white dot on the side of my orchid dotty back, all the fish in the tank were quarantined a minimum of one month and I have never seen signs of disease, however I recently introduced a Y. Corris Wrasse after one month in quarantine and he was chased and harassed until he found a way to jump through the mesh at the back of the tank and onto the floor, but I never saw signs of ich on him alive or dead. Any ideas or input is most welcome.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ich.jpg

if you look closely you can see a single white dot on the side of my orchid dotty back, all the fish in the tank were quarantined a minimum of one month and I have never seen signs of disease, however I recently introduced a Y. Corris Wrasse after one month in quarantine and he was chased and harassed until he found a way to jump through the mesh at the back of the tank and onto the floor, but I never saw signs of ich on him alive or dead. Any ideas or input is most welcome.
Could be sand.
Keep an eye out.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No treatment in QT, just observation for a month. Sorry the photo was taken later in my cycle which is heavy Blue kind of like modified AB blue/WWC so I'll try to get a shot when the whites/reds are up higher.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No treatment in QT, just observation for a month. Sorry the photo was taken later in my cycle which is heavy Blue kind of like modified AB blue/WWC so I'll try to get a shot when the whites/reds are up higher.
A one month observation period won’t screen much for ich, and won’t do anything for flukes.
What you should do is watch the spot. If it drops off and new spots don’t develop, that’s good. If the single spot is still there after 72 hours and no new spots develop, that means it is probably just a missing scale. If the spot goes away, but new spots develop over a day or two, then that s probably ich.
Jay

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll do that, it would be a nightmare to try to catch him out. I read somewhere else the ich lifecycle was 4 weeks or something but I guess that is incorrect. What is the preferred quarantine method? I read about the Tank transfer method but it seemed way too time consuming

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll do that, it would be a nightmare to try to catch him out. I read somewhere else the ich lifecycle was 4 weeks or something but I guess that is incorrect. What is the preferred quarantine method? I read about the Tank transfer method but it seemed way too time consuming

In a tank with fish in it, ich can stay active for months/years. In a tank with no fish in it, ich dies out within 45 to 75 days, depending on water temperature.

Tank transfer is rough on the fish and only treats ich, not velvet or flukes.

Here is my recommended quarantine process:

Jay

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty fish ... my poor guy has something weird going on with his right eye at the moment... looks puffed up and white. not getting worse, maybe today a bit better after last few days. think he might've injured himself on something as opposed to infection but what do i know. i hope he makes it. behavior is same as usual otherwise... good luck with yours !!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back