Is this normal? (cloudy water from messed sand)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little backstory: I’m doing a copper treatment inside the DT. All corals were removed.

To prevent any anoxic areas, I got an extremely strong and focused pump and blasted all areas of rocks and sand. I made a hurricane storm to ensure oxygen reaches all parts of rocks/sand. I use a shallow sand and I’ve done this before…no risk to the fish.

I just want to know if this cloudiness is “normal” for a tank? Does it mean I’m not maintaining my sandbed enough? I used rinsed dry sand a few months ago.

5F1C54A1-7EC8-4000-B790-7FAE9192FEE5.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand accumulates everything that dissolves & does not make the overflow, so it's normal.
Unless you vacuum the sand all the time stuff finds its way there.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok then. Probably one of the two sand or detritus. Detritus builds up quick in places too. I like to blast mine out every couple of weeks. Just a guess from what I see on this end. Does it do this every time you blast the rock and sand?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok then. Probably one of the two sand or detritus. Detritus builds up quick in places too. I like to blast mine out every couple of weeks. Just a guess from what I see on this end. Does it do this every time you blast the rock and sand?
Yes. I blew the sand a few days ago and it did the same cloudiness. I always struggled with little particles in my water column even when I don’t stir the sand. I’m trying to figure out if it’s detritus or if it’s fine sand?

I even ran diatom filters for 2 days. Although my water clarity was extremely clear, I still had floating bits. Seems like it just keeps producing no matter what I do.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little particles in my water column even when I don’t
This could be from the diatom filter? They use diatomaceous earth correct? I have experienced this not tank related. Where whatever you do can't get "foggy" water gone. This diatomaceous earth is super fine powder it can filter and settle out, but any aggravating it can make it foggy again. Could rule that out by taking a sample, and run a dim flashlight over it. If its diatomaceous earth it with have a glint to it as light hits crystal surfaces. However almost looks like when I blow rocks out. I could make it this foggy probably right now in mine with detritus in the rocks.(overdue) If I had to bet. Either fine sand, detritus, or any of the above. Also maybe when you had clear water it could be plankton of some kind.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back