OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d plan on at least a 20 gallon for all your fish. You’ll need to do copper or chloroquine phosphate if you are using bio media from your tank.

Dang. I already have a spare 15 gallon (Fluval flex) on hand. Got rid of the 20 long in the move. I said I'll never use this again. D'oh! Lol.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of that damsel. They are mean little suckers and can be a huge headache once established. I agree the behavior looks like aggression issue. Not ruling out ich though. Look for darting across the tank, scratching on the sand or rock, head twitching and sitting in front of power-heads from any of the fish. This would indicate parasitic infection. Most likely ich or flukes.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of that damsel. They are mean little suckers and can be a huge headache once established. I agree the behavior looks like aggression issue. Not ruling out ich though. Look for darting across the tank, scratching on the sand or rock, head twitching and sitting in front of power-heads from any of the fish. This would indicate parasitic infection. Most likely ich or flukes.

Bummer. From what I remember reading Kupang Damsels were one of the less aggressive ones. I looked it up and yeah I guess they are jerks. Shame as it is so pretty. Guess we'll see what happens. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d plan on at least a 20 gallon for all your fish. You’ll need to do copper or chloroquine phosphate if you are using bio media from your tank.

Wait I'm a little slow sometimes. Just thought about this again. So copper power is or is not copper or chloroquine phosphate? It's copper right? Or is it actually something else?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. From what I remember reading Kupang Damsels were one of the less aggressive ones. I looked it up and yeah I guess they are jerks. Shame as it is so pretty. Guess we'll see what happens. Thanks everyone.
A less aggressive UFC fighter is still a UFC fighter haha. To each is own, just trying to inform so you can make informed decisions.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chloroquine phosphate is a prescription based medicine procured through your local veterinarian and filled online and picked up locally to you.
It works on most fish but not great for some or most wrasses.
It's known to treat a bunch of different conditions one being Ich

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK

Ok, thanks, ordered.

Reef safe right? Just don't try to get any on the corals more or less?

I've done it 3 times over the last 2 years and have noticed no stress from the corals. Just make sure to follow the online instructions. Get a teaspoon of food/rodi water, 1 scoop metro, 1 scoop focus and let it soak for 30 min or so.

I'd add a bag of carbon if you don't already run it also to soak up any metro that leaks.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some CP for my QT process, first going to Chloroquine Phosphate then to prazi then observation before going to the DT.
Seems the least lengthy process for a full decent QT. IMO
There are some great threads here on R2R about Chloroquine Phosphate
It's not a cure all but is effective on many predators

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish don't take copper very well, so CP works in its place. It is hard to get a vet prescription for it, but available on the Ebay market. 2 weeks for the stringy poo.
Screenshot_20190313-114223_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some CP for my QT process, first going to Chloroquine Phosphate then to prazi then observation before going to the DT.
Seems the least lengthy process for a full decent QT. IMO
There are some great threads here on R2R about Chloroquine Phosphate
It's not a cure all but is effective on many predators

What about the copper power? Because that's what I already have. Just figuring out if/when I QT if I should just use it because I already have it or if there is a reason that I shouldn't. I also have the Hanna copper checker, which I believe works on copper power.

This probably sounds bad but I'm going to ride the no QT train for as long as I can. Hopefully that will be a long time but it may be a matter of hours depending on how things go lol. So far so good... No losses of any fish or corals (not that I think QT is necessarily relevant for corals but just mentioning it).

Hopefully I don't jinx myself!

Jedi knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that the royal gramma is stressed out probably buy other fish in the tank picking on it I don’t think it has ich but If it does treatment immediately those fish are to pretty to lose

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth or
@Humblefish have that knowledge committed to memory, the two different copper treatments and the fish that don't do well with it. That is humbles food recipe from one of his threads I took a screenshot of a long time ago. The guy w/ the funky avatar and screen name that replied has spot on advice always. Fmb....? He knows his stuff also.
Edit: Frt.....jumble, not fmb

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that the royal gramma is stressed out probably buy other fish in the tank picking on it I don’t think it has ich but If it does treatment immediately those fish are to pretty to lose

Thank you. I will be sure to watch and post pics. Hoping for the best but I'll be prepared for the worst just in case.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real update today. The Royal Gramma stayed in hiding all day. Didn't come up to eat when I fed the tank. I found it's hidey hole, this was one of my diamond Goby's spot so hopefully he doesn't kick it out.

I got a coral feeder and tried to squirt some selcon soaked food right by it. It just looked at the food. Didn't even try to get any. I'll try again tomorrow and so on if it doesn't come up for food.

20190429_155914.jpg 20190429_155933.jpg 20190429_164440.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great example of where QT comes in handy. Helps them to adjust to tank life and accepting prepared foods, and makes it easier to keep an eye on them and watch for signs of disease.

In your tank, they can disappear into the rocks and you won’t see them for days...

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great example of where QT comes in handy. Helps them to adjust to tank life and accepting prepared foods, and makes it easier to keep an eye on them and watch for signs of disease.

In your tank, they can disappear into the rocks and you won’t see them for days...
True...

I'm hopeful though. I think it's going to just take a few days to adjust and soon it will be swimming around and eating with the rest of the gang. That's the wishful thinking at least. Looks to be well protected from the damsel in it's little cave so let's see what happens.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's getting a little more comfy. Swam out a little more when I left it alone. I saw the Kupang Damsel lurking around closely but hopefully it takes a chill pill.

Excuse the kiddos. They are a little grumpy themselves lol.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some good and bad news. The good news is the Royal Gramma came out and ate with the rest of the tank. I fed pretty heavily to make sure it ate good. The bad news is that it is taking a beating from the damsel.

Any chance the Damsel stops trying to kill it?

Also it does have a dot on its bottom fin. You think it's ich? See pics and vids below.

20190430_174402.jpg 20190430_174328.jpg 20190430_174327.jpg 20190430_174243.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back