OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kupang Damsel:1 Philip:0. So I put a handheld mirror in front of my tank and it definetly got the attention of my Damsel. It started flashing at the mirror and started breathing hard and getting agitated. It tried to mix it up with one of my clowns. It went up to it and started flashing and my clown held it's ground and it went back to the mirror. It never got close enough or distracted enough for me to net it though.

Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave the net in the tank where the damsel tends to eat and when you feed quickly swoop him up. The key is to get him as close as possible to the surface when feeding. I was able to grab both my angel and tang that way. Good luck!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried the bottle trap for my sixline, and he was the most interested in it, but he just never went in. what i ended up doing was a rescape + sixline removal so i ended up draining most of the tank and he was quite easy to catch at that point. if u have a lot of buckets on hand that's probably the quickest albeit not easiest

idk if there's a disease issue going on, but the aggression may lessen over time. ideally i think you'd want the gramma in first and then add a damsel, but i dealt with an uber aggressive flame angel recently and i was kinda floored how it went from super aggressive to only kinda aggressive to really chill in about a week. but i've found grammas to be really.. whimpy lol, so idk if it'll handle an aggressive damsel for that long

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried the bottle trap for my sixline, and he was the most interested in it, but he just never went in. what i ended up doing was a rescape + sixline removal so i ended up draining most of the tank and he was quite easy to catch at that point. if u have a lot of buckets on hand that's probably the quickest albeit not easiest

idk if there's a disease issue going on, but the aggression may lessen over time. ideally i think you'd want the gramma in first and then add a damsel, but i dealt with an uber aggressive flame angel recently and i was kinda floored how it went from super aggressive to only kinda aggressive to really chill in about a week. but i've found grammas to be really.. whimpy lol, so idk if it'll handle an aggressive damsel for that long

I have read that a Royal Gramma will eventually toughen up and fight back and end up standing it's ground. I've also read that the damsel will eventually stop paying attention to the Royal Gramma. I've also read that it will keep on attacking until it dies so IDK. I guess all 3 are possible. Going to try the bottle traps tomorrow. If I catch either the damsel or royal gramma I'll call it a sucess. If not I may just let nature take it's course.

By that I mean I'll take out all the rocks, jump in and eat the damsel.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish sticks for dinner!

20190501_181928.jpg 20190501_182048.jpg 20190501_182216.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong work!

Thanks. It was actually pretty easy. I used two bottles. Took about 20 minutes. Maybe a little longer. I put the bottles in and kept watching as the Kupang Damsel tried to go ham on everyone in the tank. It started attacking one of my clowns but my clown fish held it's ground. I hoped this greed would play into its demise. It kept darting at anyone that got near the bottle. It kept going in just a little and I was tempted to try to get a net to cover the top but knew it would escape if I wasn't patient enough. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and was already thinking I had failed. I was thinking that I was never going to get it out. Came back inside and immediately saw my bottle caught one clown and one longnose Hawkfish. I saw the Kupang Damsel swimming and said darn I guess it won this round and I wouldn't be able to use the bottle trap any more because I've read they learn really fast. I looked a little closer and said holy crap he's inside the bottle. The rest is history! Well not yet. He's been banished to the sump and will be taking a trip to the LFS soon. Maybe not until as late as Saturday or Sunday so hopefully he is comfy in there!

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm. Fish sticks for supper! The spot could be a wound from escape into the rocks. Keep an eye out and dose some cannabis oil before bed to chill out the tank. If anybody steals that idea, I want I cut of that cash cow! Reef safe cannabis dose! There is a money maker.
@Sod Buster too late!
upload_2019-5-1_19-28-18.jpeg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back