Is this normal

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up and found shrimp like this is he dead ? I have looked at him for about 2 mins and he didn’t move!!

Attachments

• filtered-333C8E86-BD93-4252-9893-65032874129C.mp4
    1.8 MB

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't open the video but chances are that your shrimp have just had a shed and that it's his old shell you can see! :)

Can you share a picture?

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't open the video but chances are that your shrimp have just had a shed and that it's his old shell you can see! :)

Can you share a picture?
How often do they do that ? And should I leave the shed in or take it out ?

Attachments

• IMG_6697.png
    IMG_6697.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 41

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a shrimp mold! :) I always leave it in there, it'll get eaten by the other creatures in the tank. It's not harmful.

As to how often, google says every 28 days or so when they release their larvae.

You can read more here :)

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a shrimp mold! :) I always leave it in there, it'll get eaten by the other creatures in the tank. It's not harmful.

As to how often, google says every 28 days or so when they release their larvae.

You can read more here :)
I know you have said it is normal, but is it normal for them not to move, he has been like this for about 3 -5 hours !

Attachments

• IMG_6698.jpeg
    IMG_6698.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 37

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye I wouldn't worry too much about it - mine hangs on the back wall and stay mostly to them selves just after they mold. :upside-down-face:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The molt is an exoskeleton and looks just like the shrimp. It’s not alive. When the shrimp molts, they are very soft and delicate (and vulnerable)!and usually hide for a while (1-2 days) while their new outer layer hardens

I see both the shrimp and the molt. I would say he’s fine and just tired from the process. It’s normal for them to be shy afterwards. I think they sometimes eat the molt to restore vitamins, maybe that’s why he’s staying near it

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The molt is an exoskeleton and looks just like the shrimp. It’s not alive. When the shrimp molts, they are very soft and delicate (and vulnerable)!and usually hide for a while (1-2 days) while their new outer layer hardens

I see both the shrimp and the molt. I would say he’s fine and just tired from the process. It’s normal for them to be shy afterwards. I think they sometimes eat the molt to restore vitamins, maybe that’s why he’s staying near it
Thank you

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the most susceptible to predators after they molt until their new shell hardens so they just kind of hide and not draw attention to themselves. I also leave the molt in the tank.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the most susceptible to predators after they molt until their new shell hardens so they just kind of hide and not draw attention to themselves. I also leave the molt in the tank.
I think he’s dead, I don’t know what could have happend I will put a picture on but you can’t see very well. His tentacles are orangey his body is covered in a film type thing and is eyes are glazing over, he still hasn’t moved from the position, so should o take him out ?

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpeg
    IMG_6703.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6702.jpeg
    IMG_6702.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 25

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s dead, I don’t know what could have happend I will put a picture on but you can’t see very well. His tentacles are orangey his body is covered in a film type thing and is eyes are glazing over, he still hasn’t moved from the position, so should o take him out ?
Some times shell fish die from a molt gone bad. I believe that there can be multiple reasons. One that I know of is insufficient iodine. I doubt that because your salt mix should keep it at appropriate levels as you don’t have a lot of demand. Unfortunately starting out we will lose some of our pets, it sucks but all part of reefing. Sorry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back