Is this normal?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... my tank is a cheap tank that the first LFS sold us, so it has no rear chamber or a sump or anything... (Every time something like this happens I get more and more upset at them for giving us such bad recommendations when we got our first set up ever)
So the air pump will have to remain in there for now.
I am thinking about getting a bigger tank already with a sump tank on the lower level, but I need some time to get my budget ready...

Wally seems to be liking the extra bubbles. He ate his lunch like a champ (and so did Mr Goby).
He is swimming around like a happy fish, but he still goes to the corner a lingers there, but so far only one time he lay on the sand like before and it was only for a few seconds... so hopefully the extra bubbles fix the problem!

thank you so much for taking the time to help me!
Where are you located? I have a 75 gallon tank and stand sitting in storage. I am in NW Indiana. I was gifted my 90 gallon set up from a true Saint who by doing so made my year. I simply can not sell the 75 for profit after being gifted my replacement for no cost so it would be yours. If you are close enough to make trip that is.

for the time being, you could get And cut a 2 liter bottle or PVC pipe and have the bubbles travel up the tube or bottle, and the bubbles would go to the surface, but you’ll still get some micro bubbles in the tank just a lot less. Still would oxygenate water the same I believe. The other option would be to get a cheap 5-10 gallon hang on back filter, and put the air stones in the rear chamber of the HOB and put fine filter floss between the pump and the exit and bubbles will get caught in floss so no bubbles

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? I have a 75 gallon tank and stand sitting in storage. I am in NW Indiana. I was gifted my 90 gallon set up from a true Saint who by doing so made my year. I simply can not sell the 75 for profit after being gifted my replacement for no cost so it would be yours. If you are close enough to make trip that is.

for the time being, you could get And cut a 2 liter bottle or PVC pipe and have the bubbles travel up the tube or bottle, and the bubbles would go to the surface, but you’ll still get some micro bubbles in the tank just a lot less. Still would oxygenate water the same I believe. The other option would be to get a cheap 5-10 gallon hang on back filter, and put the air stones in the rear chamber of the HOB and put fine filter floss between the pump and the exit and bubbles will get caught in floss so no bubbles
Oh... thank you for your offer! I am in California... so driving by is not an option. But honestly:

I think I can fit the air stone in the HOB filter that I have now, maybe I can try that. But if it is not an issue for the fish, I don't mind the bubbles...

Again, thank you so much!!!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observe where she sleeps, if she sleeps there she might be hosting that area.

I just moved tanks, have reduced lighting which I guess confused them (your lights are not too strong either) and a pair hosts a filter intake laying on the sand and they chill/lay on the sand right next to it like when they are sleeping even at daytime a LOT.
I am thinking that might have something to do with the location where he sits on the sand. Wally has always liked that corner. And he was doing the hosting movements to the heater that is right above the corner.
But since I put the bubbles up he seems to have perked up for sure and he is no longer laying on the sand like heavy breathing...
The way I see it is, if it is just the hosting on the sand, that is not gonna kill him, but if it is something else, I should think about the worse so that I can try and fix it before a tragedy strikes...
Thank you for your reply!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... thank you for your offer! I am in California... so driving by is not an option. But honestly:

I think I can fit the air stone in the HOB filter that I have now, maybe I can try that. But if it is not an issue for the fish, I don't mind the bubbles...

Again, thank you so much!!!
(*But honestly: it was a heart emoticon but it doesn't show on the thread) @ilikefish69

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I wanted to give you guys an update.
After I put the air pump on the tank Wally took a couple of hours to get back to normal.
He has been swimming happily all over the tank, he no longer lays on the sand and he is breathing very nice and slow.
Both him and Mr Goby are eating well, and our 10 little hermit crabs are working around the clock without issues.
So it looks like Wally's issue was in fact lack of oxygen.
I thank you all so much for helping us out!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back