Is this rare? If so, How rare is it?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by MSB123, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MSB123

MSB123 Check out my new 20 gallon frog fish build! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

I recently (Tuesday) received an about 4-5" volitan lionfish. He is in my 45 gallon QT tank right now, and I have a feeder fish (freshwater molly) that had somehow survived my last batch of fish and was living in the QT tank. The lionfish ate the molly on the first day I had him, and then today, he is eating rods predator food off of a stick!! I know he is wild caught, he was never in a big facility, he was caught on Friday. How rare is it to see lionfish eating prepared so fast?
    Thanks,
    MSB

2. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Pretty common. They are hardy and tend to go for frozen pretty readily.

pcon, Reefing Madness and Tuffyyyyy like this.
  3. Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa Well-Known Member

Most all the lionfishes I owned aet market prawns the first day in my tank, the pickier will eat frozen food 2 days later so they are more readily eat anything that drop in water.

4. MSB123

MSB123 Check out my new 20 gallon frog fish build! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

Thanks- plus he ate a small laboutei wrasse his first day in qt- I'm so ****** with him, but also with my brother, who was in charge of putting him in qt, according to him, "I moved the wrasse over to the other qt tank yesterday" needless to say, there goes 250 down the drain,... and any chance of my brother ever being in charge of something ;)

5. Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA I got 600 dollars fish lasted less than a minute in my tesselata tank before, I was underestimated its power and ability to swallowed down a 11 inches Angelfish....

6. MSB123

I feel your pain :)

7. MSB123

Has Anyone else had this problem?

rickysreef likes this.
  8. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Lionfish are the Oscars/Bass of the salt water. Anything that it can fit in its mouth will eventually get in there.

ThunderGoose and Bunnee911 like this.
  9. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Having once seen the result of a 10" lionfish consuming a 15" blackedge moray . . . I'd have to agree.

~Bruce

rickysreef and ThunderGoose like this.
  10. MSB123

Looking back, he is now about 8” and eating a silverside a day. He doesn’t pick on anyone else and most of my fish are considerably smaller. I think I got really lucky!
    image.jpg

11. MSB123

Looking back, he is now about 8” and eating a silverside a day. He doesn’t pick on anyone else and most of my fish are considerably smaller. I think I got really lucky!

12. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Please be careful to not let it go hungry!

13. Mr. Limpid

Mr. Limpid Active Member

What type of Angel was it that you paid $600 for?

14. MSB123

I try not to - but I do keep a few damsels just in case

15. nereefpat

nereefpat Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would think those clownfish are on borrowed time.

Awesome fish though.

saf1 and Fotibear like this.
  16. MSB123

Thanks! I have a breeding pair of Darwin’s and gold stripe maroons, both are pretty large.

17. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

They are unless they are hosting a nem. Lion fish are pretty no doubt. However, has a active scuba diver I always am armed to bag as many has possible in certain areas. Dislike it I do but they are a pest.

chefjpaul likes this.
  18. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Taste good if cooked properly

19. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I bet. I've personally never tried it nor would know how to properly filet or handle them.

Draft saved Draft deleted