Is this red bubble algae?

DecadentCommand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

When ever I research bubble algae it seems like everyone has green algae. Mine looks to only be growing on Cyanobacteria which I also have in my tank (dealing with that). Do you think that's why maybe it's pink? Does anyone else think it's bubble algae?

I've only heard of two fixes: 1. siphoning it out and 2. emerald crabs

Any other solutions?

Then as a sidenote. I'm new to salt water.. but it seems like every week I'm dealing with a different kind of algae. Is it me? or is this a constant pain expect in the hobby? In which case I might just cut my losses before I spend too much.

20190815_200548[1].jpg

OP
OP
DecadentCommand

DecadentCommand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it has bubbles. Does Cyano grow bubbles? Because if it does that's awesome. I got some Chemi-clean coming tomorrow to knock that out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
_+1 cyano. Take a turkey baster and blow on it. Should dislodge, then net or siphon the loose material. Darken lighting a little and check phospahet level and add chemiClean if needed.

OP
OP
DecadentCommand

DecadentCommand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks guys. I feel alot better. I'll update this thread in a few days after the Chemi-clean has had the opportunity to put in work.

OP
OP
DecadentCommand

DecadentCommand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK you guys were right. I treated with Chemi-clean and it took away all the pink algae and no more bubbles.

The bubbles must of been a red herring by it was CYANO.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then as a sidenote. I'm new to salt water.. but it seems like every week I'm dealing with a different kind of algae. Is it me? or is this a constant pain expect in the hobby? In which case I might just cut my losses before I spend too much.

When starting there are all sorts of algae blooms that come and go as your tank finds balance. Takes several months.

After, there are still algae/pest problems that can happen or be introduced. They are less frequent especially with good care and precautions.

Its not so much the expense as it is the PITA it is when you allow it to get out of hand, just watch for pests and bad algae and try to nip in the bud. Don't throw the towel in over what may happen in the future, the hobby is far too fun for that.

True bubble algae looks like little red "pebbles" or marbles, they have a semi hard shell that you can pop. Don't pop them. Not fun, but slow growing and somewhat easy to manage or get rid of.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back