B26F9045-6E5E-4026-83FF-FEFB57ABB279.jpeg
CCC115A9-BD30-4994-A790-E89AC59DD214.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a small tear in the bead. At this point I would return tank or empty it salvaging water and cut and scrape away silicone from top to bottom and clean well with alcohol using a Non-lint cloth and apply an even bead of Aquarium sealant such as aqueon sealant and smooth into corner and allow to dry a full day and leak test it

OP
OP
TerraCaelus

TerraCaelus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the silicone is so clean, is that a newer tank?
IT HAS BEEN RUNNING LESS THAN A YEAR BUT I HAVE HAD THE TANK FOR A LITTLE OVER 2 YEARS... TOOK AWHILE TO BUILD AND HAD TO PUT THE PROJECT ON HOLD TO PAY VET BILLS... ITS A MARINELAND 60 CUBE..NO WARRANTY AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. FOR NOW I HAVE PUT A TENSION STRAP AROUND THE TANK TILL I CAN DEAL WITH IT. WILL BE HARD TO FIND ANOTHER I DONT THINK THEY MAKE THEM ANYMORE. THE TANK ITSELF IS OLD BUT WAS UNUSED IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE TANK WAS MADE 2011ISH

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With that picture definitely a seam failure. For that to be fixed all glass panes would need to be removed and re assembled or I would try and find another tank as soon as possible. Definitely would leave the strap on as well!

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the all caps typing I was at work and we are required to type in all caps and I wasn’t thinking about how I basically yelling in my post.
I was wondering about that thanks for the explanation lol.
That definitely looks like the start of a failure. If your comfortable with a reseal it can be done. Please make sure you do it correctly. If it was just pealing on the inside part there's people that have only pulled only the inside bead and just placed a new bead on the one seam inside. In this case ime this will not work as it's not the inside bead but the whole seam failing. The whole tank will need to be disassembled, each panel cleaned, and then reassembled. If you decide to do this I can certainly give more details. I'd recommend looking for a temporary tank like a rubbermaid container etc asap. move everything over with lights, heat, etc for peace of mind while you decide what to do. Strapping the tank is a good idea but it will still fail and since you saw this ahead of time I'd hate to see you come home to it auctually leaking, that's a horrible scenario most of us dread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back