Is this too much? Fish stocking

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say your fish list is too long. 18 fish in a 90g as a newish reefer who isnt going to QT the more fragile fish is a recipe for heart break and a empty wallet imo.

I would pick 10 you like and then if you can add more as time goes on, great. If not.. you will know better and should stop additions.
Mentioning QT is a dangerous thing to do haha.
I agree with you for the most part however the QT is iffy - There are ways to run without QT (I have never QTed my fish, out of 21 total). Don’t get me wrong, QT isn’t a bad thing to do or anything, I just dislike it as I find more fish die in QT then they do in an established reef tank where micro fauna is constantly stable. But let’s not get into that here haha… could end up with another 5 pages of people arguing over QT.

^this

I was going to say 2-3 bigger fish only. I have a tang, copperband, and a dwarf angel (that one kind of medium).
I agree with both of these. I may have a lot of fish in my 4’ tank but the most of them are medium if not small. I think my only large fish are;
- Genicanthus melanospilos (Even then, I would argue these are medium sized)
- Siganus magnificus (Again, I would argue these are medium sized as well)
- Halichoeres chloropterus (This guy has the potential to become quite large as well)
- Chelmon rostratum (Again, I would argue these are more so medium as not many ever exceed 4-6 inches)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap I even found a video... here is an observation tank for two bluestars from 3 years ago. I sold one and I still have the other but it is male now. This was a 10g tank.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you for the most part however the QT is iffy - There are ways to run without QT (I have never QTed my fish, out of 21 total). Don’t get me wrong, QT isn’t a bad thing to do or anything, I just dislike it as I find more fish die in QT then they do in an established reef tank where micro fauna is constantly stable. But let’s not get into that here haha… could end up with another 5 pages of people arguing over QT.

I agree with both of these. I may have a lot of fish in my 4’ tank but the most of them are medium if not small. I think my only large fish are;
- Halichoeres chloropterus (This guy has the potential to become quite large as well)
- Chelmon rostratum (Again, I would argue these are more so medium as not many ever exceed 4-6 inches)
What do you think on the revised list overall? If I cut the Anthias it’ll push me down to 14 fish in total

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I cut the anthias group, it’ll take me down to 14 fish…is that a little better?
That to me is perfect! I keep my stocking around 13-14 on my 4’ tank… although I will admit I did take it up to 15 at one point.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya but you are from the UK so when people from the UK tell me they don't QT then I can't really use that information in any useful way. We don't buy from the same wholesalers.

Paul does not QT but if you told paul you were going to put 18 fish in a 90g that is new, he would tell you the fish will get sick and stress.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but you are from the UK so when people from the UK tell me they don't QT then I can't really use that information in any useful way. We don't buy from the same wholesalers.

Paul does not QT but if you told paul you were going to put 18 fish in a 90g that is new, he would tell you the fish will get sick and stress.
Who’s Paul?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not planning on adding all of them in a few months, I’m talking several if not 1 or 2 years

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who’s Paul?

he wrote a book or something haha... nah just an old fart (kidding Paul) with a old old tank that is 50 years old...
I’m not planning on adding all of them in a few months, I’m talking several if not 1 or 2 years

ya sure but 1-2 years is a new tank still. More-so with dry rock anywho.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is true, also over here the medications were limited to are all risks to the health of the fish. You guys are able to have more medications that aren’t as risky.

Who’s Paul?
Paul is probably one of the most well known people on here, his tank is something like 40-50 years old at this point.
I am still stocking my tank 2 years after it’s been setup, my nano will probably still be getting stocked for the next 3 years or so. But then again, I am into rarer things so, not only will it take years but it will take quite a hit on the bank.

I’d recommend taking 3-4 years before fully stocking the tank. That way you know you’re set on the last few fish.
Here’s my stocking plan for my nano so far;
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia (trio)
- Wetmorella tanakai (Pair)
- Centropyge multicolour

I’m still figuring out the final 2-3 fish for this tank. And I’m sure I will still be trying to figure it out in 2-3 years.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The bigger fish that would go into my tank if I followed the list would be

a: Siganus magnificus (Magnificent Foxface)
b: Genincanthus bellus (Bellus Angelfish - but I don’t think this is really a bigger fish and more on the medium side)
c: Ctenochaetus flavicauda (Whit’s Tail Bristletooth tang- again a medium sized fish but I‘ll count him as a bigger fish because of his attitude)
d: Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, also over here the medications were limited to are all risks to the health of the fish. You guys are able to have more medications that aren’t as risky.

Paul is probably one of the most well known people on here, his tank is something like 40-50 years old at this point.

I am still stocking my tank 2 years after it’s been setup, my nano will probably still be getting stocked for the next 3 years or so. But then again, I am into rarer things so, not only will it take years but it will take quite a hit on the bank.

I’d recommend taking 3-4 years before fully stocking the tank. That way you know you’re set on the last few fish.
- Centropyge multicolour

I’m still figuring out the final 2-3 fish for this tank. And I’m sure I will still be trying to figure it out in 2-3 years.
That’s actually a good idea.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me try the list again…

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)
Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Ecsenius midas - (Midas Blenny)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Opistognathus aurifrons- (Pearly Headed Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)

That would be 14 fish. Is this better? Could I add a leopard in there?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the leopard in an observation tank for a month. I QT'd all my leopards and I never lost one to QT... to other things, even lack of QT but never QT itself. You can have sand in the QT... they don't really seem to mind it. They are just poor shippers.
I've QT'd multiple leopards and other assorted "sensitive wrasse" in copper safe at 1.6 for two weeks, followed by Prazi.

This is the way Mike at Dr reef does his wrasse in QT but he switched to copper power at 1.5-1.6 a bit ago.

I've actually never lost a wrasse in QT (that didn't jump) and I use copper every single time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've QT'd multiple leopards and other assorted "sensitive wrasse" in copper safe at 1.6 for two weeks, followed by Prazi.

This is the way Mike at Dr reef does his wrasse in QT but he switched to copper power at 1.5-1.6 a bit ago.

I've actually never lost a wrasse in QT (that didn't jump) and I use copper every single time.

Ya, I don't think there is anything wrong with using copper but the OP seems very scared to QT wrasse and wants to skip it. Observational would be better then no QT at all.

Leopards are sensitive to shipping and can have internal parasites and flukes that cause problems. I never had a leopard I felt was sensitive because it was in a QT tank.... I think people got them all wrong.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don't think there is anything wrong with using copper but the OP seems very scared to QT wrasse and wants to skip it. Observational would be better then no QT at all.

Leopards are sensitive to shipping and can have internal parasites and flukes that cause problems. I never had a leopard I felt was sensitive because it was in a QT tank....
If op isn't QTing anything, chances are they will be afforded the opportunity to make an entirely new list again in not too long.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told it’s also a great idea if someone is looking to buy a leopard wrasse, they should get one from a hobbyist that keeps them in the tank healthy:thinking-face:. For example, to get one from a member of Reef2Reef that has had success with them

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Centropyge multicolour

What was your stocking order for the fish you have now? Did it take you those years?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If op isn't QTing anything, chances are they will be afforded the opportunity to make an entirely new list again in not too long.
Honestly, this isn’t always true, QT isn’t always mandatory.

Back