Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I see problems with the small fish fighting for territory, depending on your Aquascape. Also - remember the size that the larger fish are likely to increase too. It seems like about 50% 'too much'.
I made changes to the list, and of all of the ones that appear, only 14 am I planning to keep. Obviously I need to take into consideration that although these fish SHOULD ALL get along, doesn’t mean they WILL get a long. My scape has 3 large caves, about 3 or 4 small caves, and swimthroughs.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a lot of fish in a 120 gallon box.

They all lived together in a 180 until the tank had a catastrophic failure. They are waiting here until the 312g is ready.

I got Ick into my system from cross contamination and stupidly, having my QT stacked over my sump. It never bothered me, or any of the fish, but was there.

Since they are all out, I decided to medicate to remove the ick because it was convenient.. 2.5 ppm copper safe and they NEVER miss a beat. As you can see, I like tangs and triggers so I feed, A Lot.
Not to worry you, but what happens if a few start showing signs of sickness and aggression, do you have a place to put them?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who are curious on how the aquascape looks and functions, here’s a picture, an old picture, but a picture:
1664309265001.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry you, but what happens if a few start showing signs of sickness and aggression, do you have a place to put them?
You're not going to worry me. I'm kind of good at this part.

What sort of sickness are you suggesting? I've got essentially everything on hand to treat 99% of our common and not so common sicknesses.

What about aggression? There isn't any. Let's say the Desjardini starts being a jerk.. feed heavier. Still not working, I have 3 other quarrentine tanks currently running.

Those Issues are a non issue if you are prepared for them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. And what you say makes total sense. But what happens when you QT a fish for several weeks, added a whole bunch of things to the QT fish, you put him in the DT and after all that he still gets sick, then gets all the others sick. Then what?

huh.. you don't add more things or the timer starts over.

They should not infect other fish unless you didn't treat for some disease they had.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing I meant to say - I think its important that you either buy fish quarantined - or at least can observe them at a store for some time (even if you have to put down a deposit). The higher the stocking density - the more likely that all the fish will be affected - and even with 14 fish in a 90 gallon - its 'a lot' - (I didn't see the re-vamped list) - but just your clowns alone are going to be territorial as well. Just my opinion. Good luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They should not infect other fish unless you didn't treat for some disease they had.
Exactly - Each QT for each fish (unless you have multiple tanks) - takes its own time - 4 weeks with copper - then prazipro - then 2 weeks observation. Depending on the species

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It takes time to recover though, and even though they don‘t show signs it can still come up

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I meant to say - I think its important that you either buy fish quarantined - or at least can observe them at a store for some time (even if you have to put down a deposit). The higher the stocking density - the more likely that all the fish will be affected - and even with 14 fish in a 90 gallon - its 'a lot' - (I didn't see the re-vamped list) - but just your clowns alone are going to be territorial as well. Just my opinion. Good luck
It would be a heavily stocked tank. What would be your suggestions/changes if this was your list?

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a 64 gallon tank which is 3 months old and currently only stocked with a few inverts (I had a mantis shrimp in there but I've moved her to a smaller tank to turn my 64 into a fish tank). I'm new to the hobby, and I made a massive long stocking list which I whittled down to about 10 mostly small fish and it's probably still too many. I want one of every fish in the ocean in my tank, but I'm going to work my way through my list from least aggressive to most aggressive and stop when I think it's getting crowded or when I'm struggling with nutrients.

I currently have two clowns in QT (normal ones, I prefer them to the fancy pants varieties!) and I'm intending to have every fish on my list in QT for at least a month so I think it's going to take me most of a year to fill the DT because at 16.5g my QT tank won't accommodate more than 1 or 2 small fish at a time. I'm lucky to live near one of the best LFS in the UK that fully quarantines and copper treats all their stock, so I'm only doing observation in my QT tank unless I spot any problems that need medicating.

Are you planning to set up a tank thread for this stocking list? I'd like to follow along, I'd be very interested to see how close your final stocking list ends up to your initial plan.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time to recover though, and even though they don‘t show signs it can still come up

I don't know what you mean by recover...

You could treat all fish with copper/prazi, then you don't worry about missed signs so much. That is also an option.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a heavily stocked tank. What would be your suggestions/changes if this was your list?
If you're going with a heavy stock (which I do as well) you'll need to accept a few things.

One being not all Fish are suitable for heavily stocked tank. Naturally, slow or skittish eaters may get starved out.

Go fish by fish to ensure you have a suitable environment for them to thrive. Sand sleepers need a lot of sand, cave sleepers, Need plenty of them.

Feeding heavy is your friend, which also means you should be prepared to remove excess built up nutrients.

Aggression sometimes can't be helped. I threw in the towel on Scopas tangs after having 3 Mean ones. My 5" Desjardini killed a 6" CBB overnight after into because they looked too similar. I love me some Gem tangs, I hate their attitudes so I don't keep them any longer.

It can Absolutely be done, within reason. You gotta buy in though.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a 64 gallon tank which is 3 months old and currently only stocked with a few inverts (I had a mantis shrimp in there but I've moved her to a smaller tank to turn my 64 into a fish tank). I'm new to the hobby, and I made a massive long stocking list which I whittled down to about 10 mostly small fish and it's probably still too many. I want one of every fish in the ocean in my tank, but I'm going to work my way through my list from least aggressive to most aggressive and stop when I think it's getting crowded or when I'm struggling with nutrients.

I currently have two clowns in QT (normal ones, I prefer them to the fancy pants varieties!) and I'm intending to have every fish on my list in QT for at least a month so I think it's going to take me most of a year to fill the DT because at 16.5g my QT tank won't accommodate more than 1 or 2 small fish at a time. I'm lucky to live near one of the best LFS in the UK that fully quarantines and copper treats all their stock, so I'm only doing observation in my QT tank unless I spot any problems that need medicating.

Are you planning to set up a tank thread for this stocking list? I'd like to follow along, I'd be very interested to see how close your final stocking list ends up to your initial plan.
I actually am creating a build thread on this atm since my last build thread I kinda forgot about. I’ll post a link here in a bit so everyone can follow along

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with a heavy stock (which I do as well) you'll need to accept a few things.

One being not all Fish are suitable for heavily stocked tank. Naturally, slow or skittish eaters may get starved out.

Go fish by fish to ensure you have a suitable environment for them to thrive. Sand sleepers need a lot of sand, cave sleepers, Need plenty of them.

Feeding heavy is your friend, which also means you should be prepared to remove excess built up nutrients.

Aggression sometimes can't be helped. I threw in the towel on Scopas tangs after having 3 Mean ones. My 5" Desjardini killed a 6" CBB overnight after into because they looked too similar. I love me some Gem tangs, I hate their attitudes so I don't keep them any longer.

This, so much of this ^

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your stocking order for the fish you have now? Did it take you those years?
So, first it went the Foxface. This guy was added in I believe January of 2020, so almost a week or so after the tank was cycled. This guy went in with a pair of Amphiprion occelaris hybrids (Black Photons specifically). Next in was my Copperband Butterfly. This guy went in during the phase of the uglies. Aiptasia was all over the place and so it gave me a source to feed the CBB from.

In February of 2020 I added my Blue Eye Bristletooth. This guy was added for algae cleanup in the tank. I also lost the first of the Occelaris Hybrids during this time. Also in this month, I added my first Naokoae Fairy Wrasse.

In March of 2020, I lost the second of the Occelaris hybrids so I added a third to replace the dead one. Another fish I added to this tank in March was a Silver Belly Wrasse.

I believe in May I lost the Naokoae to jumping and in June I lost the Silver Belly due to the coarse sandbed. Then I also lost my final Occelaris Hybrid and left it at one around this period.

Next was my Jade Wrasse. This guy was added as a juvenile in June/July of 2020. She was added due to an issue with Euphyllia Eating Flatworms on my Torch.

In September of 2020, I had my main influx of Wrasses. The first one was the Radiant Wrasse. Then I also added my Cebu Lubbock’s Fairy in this time. There was no particular reason as to why these guys were added other than the colours.
I also added my Swallowtail Angel in this month. I thought the swallowtail would be the last fish but…

In September of 2021 I got myself a beautiful Black Margin Fairy Wrasse. Again, no particular reason other than displaying. I also got another Lubbock, however this time it was an Indonesian variant.

Next time I got a fish was in I believe November of 2021. This was my infamous Hoplolatilus chlupatyi, reason why I got this was was due to the interest it sparked in me. Again, I thought this would be the last fish.

Undortunately in March of 2022 I lost the chlupatyi however I didn’t get any other fish.

In July of this year, I got my flasher wrasse. This was to replace my Chlupatyi but also I love the colours in him.

Then, in I believe August I had a move of fish from my nano. The first fish to be moved was my linear blenny, this was due to main going at my SPS. And the second fish to be moved was my second Naoko, this was due to an issue with his fins which is now healed. I also lost my Black Margin Fairy unfortunately, however he was quite large already. Early on in August (possibly actually July time) I got a Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp Pair.

I think that’s all correct however I may be out (I lost some records of when I got certain fish).

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll definitely follow your advice, I’ll be posting in my new thread shortly, so I’ll be going step by step on what I do

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, first it went the Foxface. This guy was added in I believe January of 2020, so almost a week or so after the tank was cycled. This guy went in with a pair of Amphiprion occelaris hybrids (Black Photons specifically). Next in was my Copperband Butterfly. This guy went in during the phase of the uglies. Aiptasia was all over the place and so it gave me a source to feed the CBB from.

In February of 2020 I added my Blue Eye Bristletooth. This guy was added for algae cleanup in the tank. I also lost the first of the Occelaris Hybrids during this time. Also in this month, I added my first Naokoae Fairy Wrasse.

In March of 2020, I lost the second of the Occelaris hybrids so I added a third to replace the dead one. Another fish I added to this tank in March was a Silver Belly Wrasse.

I believe in May I lost the Naokoae to jumping and in June I lost the Silver Belly due to the coarse sandbed. Then I also lost my final Occelaris Hybrid and left it at one around this period.

Next was my Jade Wrasse. This guy was added as a juvenile in June/July of 2020. She was added due to an issue with Euphyllia Eating Flatworms on my Torch.

In September of 2020, I had my main influx of Wrasses. The first one was the Radiant Wrasse. Then I also added my Cebu Lubbock’s Fairy in this time. There was no particular reason as to why these guys were added other than the colours.
I also added my Swallowtail Angel in this month. I thought the swallowtail would be the last fish but…

In September of 2021 I got myself a beautiful Black Margin Fairy Wrasse. Again, no particular reason other than displaying. I also got another Lubbock, however this time it was an Indonesian variant.

Next time I got a fish was in I believe November of 2021. This was my infamous Hoplolatilus chlupatyi, reason why I got this was was due to the interest it sparked in me. Again, I thought this would be the last fish.

Undortunately in March of 2022 I lost the chlupatyi however I didn’t get any other fish.

In July of this year, I got my flasher wrasse. This was to replace my Chlupatyi but also I love the colours in him.

Then, in I believe August I had a move of fish from my nano. The first fish to be moved was my linear blenny, this was due to main going at my SPS. And the second fish to be moved was my second Naoko, this was due to an issue with his fins which is now healed. I also lost my Black Margin Fairy unfortunately, however he was quite large already. Early on in August (possibly actually July time) I got a Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp Pair.

I think that’s all correct however I may be out (I lost some records of when I got certain fish).
Don’t you think the tang came in a bit early? We’re there any issues down the road?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you think the tang came in a bit early? We’re there any issues down the road?
Great question!
Honestly, the tang did go in rather early however I personally find it’s not an issue with Ctenochaetus species - as I said, these lay low and don’t really care about other fish.
Only real aggression I saw was when the Genicanthus went in, other than that the tang ignored everything else. The only issues down the road I hit were the deaths of fish and as you can see some of them did cause a stop on when I added other fish.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question!
Honestly, the tang did go in rather early however I personally find it’s not an issue with Ctenochaetus species - as I said, these lay low and don’t really care about other fish.
Only real aggression I saw was when the Genicanthus went in, other than that the tang ignored everything else. The only issues down the road I hit were the deaths of fish and as you can see some of them did cause a stop on when I added other fish.
What did you do to resolve the issue between Tang and Angel, other than time passing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back