Is this too much? Fish stocking

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a 4’ 91 gallon tank that’s been running for over 2 months now. I made a stocking list but I’ve been constantly changing it. I am making the preparations for a Reef so I do need my fish reef safe, or at least not prone to nip too much. I don’t want to over crowd, but I don’t want to look at the tank and just see 3 or 4 fish out and about. Here’s the list:

Currently own:

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

Stocking plan:

Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Ecsenius midas - (Midas Blenny)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Halichoeres chrysus - (Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
x 4 Pseudanthias bimaculatus - (Bimaculatus Anthias)
x 1 Pseudanthias squamipinnis - (Lyretail Anthias)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon meleagris - (Leopard Wrasse -female-)
Opistognathus rosenblatti - (Blue Dot Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)
Stonogobiops draculus and Alpheus bellulus - (Dracula Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair)

What do you guys think? I know I’m taking a chance with the Angel hybrid, but if anyone knows how valuable that specimen is, you know I’m going to try my hardest to have it co-exist with coral. Can the solo male or female Lyretail Anthias mix with the Bimac Anthias and not cause problems with the others? Will the fact that there are more Anthias keep the lone male or female lyretail happy or should I just cut it from the list? Any recommendations when it comes to keeping Blue Dot Jawfish and goby/pistol shrimp pairs and what type of shrimp to get? Any stocking suggestions or cuts? Really any info from you guys. I’m hoping to hear @icantthink ‘s thoughts and comments on this, and hopefully he’ll like I used the scientific names lol. Thank you everyone!

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert. but that seems like lots of fish in a 90 gallon tank

That many wrasses might be an issue as well as you have two of the same family listed .

I have 139 gallon and only two wrasses from two seperate families and the established wrasse would chase the other into hiding for 3 months before he finally accepted him

Again I am no expert but i can see a few potential issues with your list

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd keep it at about 12-13 small fish (under 4 inches) or less unless you have crazy good filtration. As you stock, you will find that less fish is actually better. On paper, people (myself included) always want two of everything. They usually stop at about 1/2 or 3/4 of their plan. Less fish will make for easier maintenance, a more peaceful setting, and a good aesthetic. I'd take away the foxface, stick to 3 anthias, and remove a few wrasses. I hope that this helps!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is too many fish. High fish loads have been done with proper nutrient export. But based on an average tank and gut intuition it is too many fish. I never had experience with anthias so people with more experience should be able to tell you.
I would cut around half the fish load.
I would to worry about jawfish and a goby in a tank this large. However, blue spotted jawfish do better in cooler water.

Good luck and Happy Reefing

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to just go slow and see how things do. Add the things you most want and when you start encountering problems then you know you're reaching capacity. I also suggest an acclimation box and fish trap as I'm guessing aggression will be your limiting factor.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

I think you need to slow way down and read a bit more. I have the same tank and have 9 fish and its busy. Could i add more sure but my fish are happy and not aggressive.

First and foremost think utilitarian.

Mag Foxface get big and can get mean.
Diamond goby burry everything.
I would stick to two wrasses.
Leopard wrasses are hard to keep alive.
If you enjoy not seeing animals in your tank then get a pistol shrimp and goby. And will burry things he doesn’t like.

But hey your tank buy them all and prove us wrong.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd keep it at about 12-13 small fish (under 4 inches) or less unless you have crazy good filtration. As you stock, you will find that less fish is actually better. On paper, people (myself included) always want two of everything. They usually stop at about 1/2 or 3/4 of their plan. Less fish will make for easier maintenance, a more peaceful setting, and a good aesthetic. I'd take away the foxface, stick to 3 anthias, and remove a few wrasses. I hope that this helps!
Thx for answering me. I appreciate your suggestions. Thinking it a bit further and on what you said, I’m gonna cut some fish. Will cutting off a Halichoeres, say I cut off the Yellow Coris, and only keep one Halichoeres, which will be the Earmuff, be better? I do want to keep the Foxface as it is a utilitarian fish, and they are slow growing. I know many many people keep that specific Foxface in a tank my size and do well with no issues. Obviously I don’t plan on keeping him in there forever, as I know he’ll eventually get cramped. Is there a reason why you would keep that low number of Anthias? In my past experience, and other people, keeping only 2 or 3 Anthias is something just begging for trouble, and that’s why I am aiming for more Anthias this time.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

I think you need to slow way down and read a bit more. I have the same tank and have 9 fish and its busy. Could i add more sure but my fish are happy and not aggressive.

First and foremost think utilitarian.

Mag Foxface get big and can get mean.
Diamond goby burry everything.
I would stick to two wrasses.
Leopard wrasses are hard to keep alive.
If you enjoy not seeing animals in your tank then get a pistol shrimp and goby. And will burry things he doesn’t like.

But hey your tank buy them all and prove us wrong.
1664239521403.gif

I’ll slow down I’ll slow down. What you said interests me. I’ll go one at a time. I have never met or kept an aggressive foxface. They do get big and I will upgrade his tank when he gets to a certain size. I have kept sand sifting gobies before, and I have never had a problem where they sink rocks or cause them to collapse. The reason I chose the Diamond is because others I’ve kept pick up the sand and dump them all over rocks and coral, and they say the Diamond isn’t prone to do that.
I definitely want to try out if I can keep a leopard wrasse. I’ve got some tricks I want to implement, although I know they aren’t fool proof. I wouldn’t say keeping them would be impossible though. Now I’ve never kept a goby/pistol shrimp pair, so I’m definitely questioning it, and now I don’t know if it’s worth it lol. Is there any other stocking changes you would suggest if it was your tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are not slow growing... they grow fast! That is like their thing :) And magnificent gets bigger than a one spot. I never had a foxface or real algae issues... soo hmm :) Guess the snails eat it!

I have a 80g and 15 fish in it (and 2 more in the fuge). The bioload is pretty massive so that is something to keep in mind if you want corals that like lower nutrients. I wanted to add a few more fish but even my peaceful species are kind of *****... I think they know there is no more room. lol

Only two of my fish are "bigger" - copperband and yellow tang

Here is my list:

Male bluestar leopard wrasse (was female, turned male 4 years later and also turned fairly aggressive, pretty much won't let me add new fish now but no longer torments tank mates)
Royal gramma
Percula clown x2
China wrasse
Radiant wrasse x2 -
I bought 2 because they are tricky but they both lived through QT, they spawn but eventually they will probably both turn male and one will have to be removed.
Earmuff wrasse
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly
Marine Betta
Tailspot blenny
Springer damsel
Flame angel -
also kind of a jerk to anyone nearby, I may remove this fish.
Hasslets goby

Sump:
Starkii damsel -
she and the flame have beef
Multibar angelfish - will be moved to it's own tank soon, probably grow it out and replace the flame with it.

I feed very very heavy, have a 20g fuge and a skimmer rated for 200g and dose DIY nopox. It used to be a mixed tank but I switched to softies because I don't have time to make sure numbers stay where they should :)

I have had a few losses here or there and have removed a handful of fish while stocking for aggression/just didn't work issues... tried two different bristletooths... both turned horrible and ended up with the yellow tang instead. I had a second leopard wrasse (Kuiters) but after a few years, lost it... it got spooked and injured itself. Ugh. It was also a huge dick though... I had to remove an orange dot wrasse because it was a jerk and I wanted radiants more. I could not keep any flasher wrasses as other wrasses (leopard/halichoeres) would torment them. They all got rehomed.

It was basically trial and error to find a group of fish who would work.

I don't think I could add anything else at this point without removing some fish except maybe a goby or jawfish since they sit on the bottom. I might remove the Flame angel... I am kind of getting sick of his ****.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I don’t want anyone to think I’m trying to prove them wrong. Every one has there own opinions and experience and I accept that. Like everyone, people learn something new every day. I’m just trying to be successful, and if I’m able to keep something successfully that for others is something hard and daunting, hey I’m happy with that.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are not slow growing... they grow fast! That is like their thing :) And magnificent gets bigger than a one spot. I never had a foxface or real algae issues... soo hmm :) Guess the snails eat it!

I have a 80g and 15 fish in it (and 2 more in the fuge). The bioload is pretty massive so that is something to keep in mind if you want corals that like lower nutrients. I wanted to add a few more fish but even my peaceful species are kind of *****... I think they know there is no more room. lol

Here is my list:

Male bluestar leopard wrasse (was female, turned male 4 years later and also turned fairly aggressive, pretty much won't let me add new fish now)
Royal gramma
Percula clown x2
China wrasse
Radiant wrasse x2 -
I bought 2 because they are tricky but they both lived through QT, they spawn but eventually they will probably both turn male and one will have to be removed.
Earmuff wrasse
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly
Marine Betta
Tailspot blenny
Springer damsel
Flame angel -
also kind of a jerk to anyone nearby
Hasslets goby

Sump:
Starkii damsel -
she and the flame have beef
Multibar angelfish - will be move to it's own tank soon

I feed very very heavy, have a 20g fuge and a skimmer rated for 200g and dose DIY nopox. It used to be a mixed tank but I switched to softies because I don't have time to make sure numbers stay where they should :)

I have had a few losses here or there. I had a second leopard wrasse (Kuiters) but after a few years, lost it... it got spooked and injured itself. Ugh. It was also a huge dick though... I don't think I could add anything else at this point without removing some fish except maybe a goby or jawfish since they sit on the bottom.
Yeah my one spot was the same size as my scopas and now hes at least an inch longer and hes a thick boy. I sometimes scare him so others can eat and hoping he eats less. :winking-face-with-tongue:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I set up a 4’ 91 gallon tank that’s been running for over 2 months now. I made a stocking list but I’ve been constantly changing it. I am making the preparations for a Reef so I do need my fish reef safe, or at least not prone to nip too much. I don’t want to over crowd, but I don’t want to look at the tank and just see 3 or 4 fish out and about. Here’s the list:

Currently own:

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

Stocking plan:

Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Ecsenius midas - (Midas Blenny)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Halichoeres chrysus - (Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
x 4 Pseudanthias bimaculatus - (Bimaculatus Anthias)
x 1 Pseudanthias squamipinnis - (Lyretail Anthias)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon meleagris - (Leopard Wrasse -female-)
Opistognathus rosenblatti - (Blue Dot Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)
Stonogobiops draculus and Alpheus bellulus - (Dracula Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair)

What do you guys think? I know I’m taking a chance with the Angel hybrid, but if anyone knows how valuable that specimen is, you know I’m going to try my hardest to have it co-exist with coral. Can the solo male or female Lyretail Anthias mix with the Bimac Anthias and not cause problems with the others? Will the fact that there are more Anthias keep the lone male or female lyretail happy or should I just cut it from the list? Any recommendations when it comes to keeping Blue Dot Jawfish and goby/pistol shrimp pairs and what type of shrimp to get? Any stocking suggestions or cuts? Really any info from you guys. I’m hoping to hear @icantthink ‘s thoughts and comments on this, and hopefully he’ll like I used the scientific names lol. Thank you everyone!
Way too many and you want to consider oxygen levels for these fish and should you have a disease outbreak, youre going to be in a dilemna with Quaranting and Fallow

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most leopard wrasses aren't all that difficult if you can get them eating, and disease free. Some I would totally avoid, unless you buy it pre-QTed and already eating frozen. Choati, Kuiters and Vivien's being particularly difficult. If you choose to get one, I would recommend fully QTing them. I've found that they're actually quite hardy if they make it through QT.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I don’t want anyone to think I’m trying to prove them wrong. Every one has there own opinions and experience and I accept that. Like everyone, people learn something new every day. I’m just trying to be successful, and if I’m able to keep something successfully that for others is something hard and daunting, hey I’m happy with that.
I think you will realize after you start adding fish you will see them getting cramped and establish hierarchy in the tank. This is what made me stop buying fish.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 80g and 15 fish in it. The bioload is pretty massive so that is something to keep in mind if you want corals that like lower nutrients. I wanted to add a few more but even my peaceful species are kind of *****... I think they know there is no more room. lol

Here is my list:

Male bluestar leopard wrasse (was female, turned male 4 years later and also turned fairly aggressive, pretty much won't let me add new fish now)
Royal gramma
Percula clown x2
China wrasse
Radiant wrasse x2
Earmuff wrasse
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly
Marine Betta
Tailspot blenny
Springer damsel
Flame angel -
also kind of a jerk to anyone nearby
Hasslets goby

I have had a few losses here or there. I had a second leopard wrasse (Kuiters) but after a few years, lost it... it got spooked and injured itself. Ugh. It was also a huge dick though... I don't think I could add anything else at this point without removing some fish except maybe a goby or jawfish since they sit on the bottom.
Thx for your answer. I do plan on having a lot of heavy filtration. With more fish comes more bioload, so for filtration I will have a skimmer rated for a tank like you mentioned, a reefmat, biomedia, supplements, and some dosing to help out with phosphates and nutrients. In my opinion, I wouldn’t keep a Zebrazoma tang in my tank, let alone an Acanthurus. Too boisterous, aggressive, and cover to much water too quickly. I am happy it has worked for you though.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you have a very cool stocking list with a lot of cool fish on it. Those wrasse in particular excite me!
Maybe go on the wrasse lovers thread or ask someone like I Can't Think directly? He's always helped me with my wrasse questions.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my one spot was the same size as my scopas and now hes at least an inch longer and hes a thick boy. I sometimes scare him so others can eat and hoping he eats less. :winking-face-with-tongue:
Poor bugger

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you have a very cool stocking list with a lot of cool fish on it. Those wrasse in particular excite me!
Maybe go on the wrasse lovers thread or ask someone like I Can't Think directly? He's always helped me with my wrasse questions.
YES! Thats a great idea. Thank you. I was hoping @icantthink would answer to my posts but he hasn’t yet lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

leopards are not that difficult... many of the fish on the list is fine, it is just so many that even the peaceful ones may get aggressive and then you have deaths or have to remove and rehome.

I tried two bristletooths before the yellow and BOTH were HORRIBLE and MEAN!! The yellow is the only one that was mild for me. I totally gave up on bristletooths.

My leopards/Halichoeres would not let me keep any flasher wrasses, period. They were tormented. I caught and sold the flashers.

I think what it comes down to is my tank is too small to do a lot of mixing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back