Is this Uronema? Join my QT adventure...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking spinal injury as well, but it doesn't look that bad. It can be recoverable, and given how mild it looks I think he'll be okay. Just keep doing what you're doing.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a spinal injury. If he is eating well, he may recover. The fact the fish can still right itself and is eating are good signs IMO. It may just be a very minor injury and hopefully it will recover.

I'm thinking spinal injury as well, but it doesn't look that bad. It can be recoverable, and given how mild it looks I think he'll be okay. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Beautiful fish. Best of luck :)

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. It's still eating but seems to have progressed to him being upside-down. I'm not that hopeful at this point, but I will keep feeding until he stops eating.

Should I continue with the treatment of General Cure?

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive today. Not eating very much (but still eating), but given that it is barely moving, maybe it doesn't need as much food. It doesn't look gaunt, so I guess that's good.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive today. Not eating very much (but still eating), but given that it is barely moving, maybe it doesn't need as much food. It doesn't look gaunt, so I guess that's good.

Has his ability to swim improved at all?

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has his ability to swim improved at all?

If anything, it appears to have gotten a little worse. I'm not that optimistic.

Anecdotal reports seem to suggest that if this fixes itself, it will take 2-3 weeks. I feel bad about the fish's current condition (although I doubt it feels anything like humans would), but I will keep trying for a few weeks, or until it stops eating.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, it appears to have gotten a little worse. I'm not that optimistic.

Anecdotal reports seem to suggest that if this fixes itself, it will take 2-3 weeks. I feel bad about the fish's current condition (although I doubt it feels anything like humans would), but I will keep trying for a few weeks, or until it stops eating.

Unfortunately that’s how mine went it slowly stopped eating and trying to swim. Took about two weeks total.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately when I came home, the fish was basically folded in half and no longer eating or able to swim well. I assume at this point it would be best to euthanize? Or should I wait?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately when I came home, the fish was basically folded in half and no longer eating or able to swim well. I assume at this point it would be best to euthanize? Or should I wait?

I would probably euthanize

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I did euthanize it last night. It stopped eating completely and just stayed folded over. It could barely swim at all anymore. Time to get a soft net top for QT and start the process all over again.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I did euthanize it last night. It stopped eating completely and just stayed folded over. It could barely swim at all anymore. Time to get a soft net top for QT and start the process all over again.

Sorry for your loss

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful fish. :( This hobby can be harsh at times.
Thanks. I'll be getting another one soon, and will never QT with a hard canopy again. I went with a hard canopy only to avoid the evaporation loss. Now I guess I'll be topping up 2x a day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, spinal injuries get worse before they get better. I think swelling has a lot to do with that. Adding epsom salt is a good idea to aid this in the future. One TSP per 5 gallons.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, spinal injuries get worse before they get better. I think swelling has a lot to do with that. Adding epsom salt is a good idea to aid this in the future. One TSP per 5 gallons.
Thanks for this. I'm just curious...are you suggesting that maybe I gave up too soon? I'm not taking offense, just trying to learn. I'm a little annoyed with myself that Epsom salt and a bit more patience might have saved it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I'm just curious...are you suggesting that maybe I gave up too soon? I'm not taking offense, just trying to learn. I'm a little annoyed with myself that Epsom salt and a bit more patience might have saved it.
Honestly my personal experience isn’t very good with these. I have had probably 6 fish with it and one made a recovery. It got very bad and he hid for a couple weeks or more before emerging. I don’t know how he survived that long but he did. He made a good recovery until he jumped out of a tiny hole in the lid (implies quite the recovery).

Most of the time minor spinal injuries turn to serious ones in a few days and it goes rough. It’s impossible to know, but I wouldn’t feel bad at all about your decision to euthanize.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t feel bad at all about your decision to euthanize.
Me either. You as the observer can see best.

I've never had one recover either, but I've never had one this mild either (initially). I've seen others get them to pull through when it wasn't too bad, and I was hopeful you'd be another. :(

Things happen beyond our best control.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly my personal experience isn’t very good with these. I have had probably 6 fish with it and one made a recovery. It got very bad and he hid for a couple weeks or more before emerging. I don’t know how he survived that long but he did. He made a good recovery until he jumped out of a tiny hole in the lid (implies quite the recovery).

Most of the time minor spinal injuries turn to serious ones in a few days and it goes rough. It’s impossible to know, but I wouldn’t feel bad at all about your decision to euthanize.

Me either. You as the observer can see best.

I've never had one recover either, but I've never had one this mild either (initially). I've seen others get them to pull through when it wasn't too bad, and I was hopeful you'd be another. :(

Things happen beyond our best control.

Thanks everyone. I've learned a lot from all of you, and that is one of the fun things about the hobby. I'm hopeful a net screen top will prevent this from happening ever again. I'll post when I get some new fish in QT.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I've learned a lot from all of you, and that is one of the fun things about the hobby. I'm hopeful a net screen top will prevent this from happening ever again. I'll post when I get some new fish in QT.
A gentler net will be better than say a metal mesh. Such fragile creatures. We are glad to help, friend! :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back