Is this Uronema? Join my QT adventure...

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was mostly just lethargic, but then he went upside down for a bit before ending up right side up under the sponge.

I was scheduled to do the final water change after the last dose of GC tonight, which I did.

His breathing is still heavy but it has definitely improved. His mouth is more open than normal too, which I forgot to mention previously. He came out and swam fairly normally for a bit too, but I am not optimistic yet.

It’s so weird...I’ve had many fairy wrasses over the years and this has never happened.

I’m not trying to wish anything bad on you but watch him carefully. Mouth being locked open is a sign of Uronema. I’m hoping it may be an injury but just watch him.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you suspected Uronema on your previous wrasse. It might be a good idea to treat for it just in case. 90 min Acriflavine bath then 2 scoops of metro per 10G. You also need to feed Metro with focus. Do both for 14 days

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video of the behavior would be immensely helpful.

Overall would you say the fish behaves as if a sinker was tied to his tail or as if it is overly buoyant?

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you suspected Uronema on your previous wrasse. It might be a good idea to treat for it just in case. 90 min Acriflavine bath then 2 scoops of metro per 10G. You also need to feed Metro with focus. Do both for 14 days

Thank you.

I did do this from the first day of QT prophylactically...that is, I had copper power at 1.75ppm, food soaked in general cure which I fed for 14 days, dosed Furan-2, Metroplex, and Kanaplex.

Everything was going very smoothly up until this point. I'll update tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video of the behavior would be immensely helpful.

Overall would you say the fish behaves as if a sinker was tied to his tail or as if it is overly buoyant?

I'm not sure how to answer that...he was kind of floating through the water in the normal position, but when he got in the flow he turned upside down. He is not vertical if that helps. He looks buoyant, except he is not floating to the top.

I'll post a video tomorrow...hopefully he is still alive!

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am hoping you guys can help me. We've got more evidence and symptoms today. He now has an eye that is popping out on one side that was not there yesterday. This could be because he damaged it today. Here is the video:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this appears to be a spinal injury. Very common with these fairy wrasses, they spook easily and if your tank lights come on with a timer or in a pitch black room it can cause the darting and then the injury.

The eye could be a secondary injury since the fish no longer has completed control.

Is the fish still eating?

The injury is mild compared to some I have seen.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this appears to be a spinal injury. Very common with these fairy wrasses, they spook easily and if your tank lights come on with a timer or in a pitch black room it can cause the darting and then the injury.

The eye could be a secondary injury since the fish no longer has completed control.

Is the fish still eating?

The injury is mild compared to some I have seen.

Thank you for replying.

I have it in the basement next to a window that is getting gradual sunlight starting at 6am. I also have an LED over the tank with a 45 min sunrise/sunset. It probably got spooked some other way.

What should I do at this point? The spinal injury is kind of wait and see, but what about the eye injury?

He was eating yesterday, I'll report back on today shortly.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I think I agree and the eye could also be from an impact injury

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying.

I have it in the basement next to a window that is getting gradual sunlight starting at 6am. I also have an LED over the tank with a 45 min sunrise/sunset. It probably got spooked some other way.

What should I do at this point? The spinal injury is kind of wait and see, but what about the eye injury?

He was eating yesterday, I'll report back on today shortly.

You can dose pure USP Epsom Salts at 1 Tablespoon per 5G for swelling, you can also use Maracyn as directed for secondary eye infection.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks
I just went down to feed and I got a strong feeding response. Unfortunately I don't think he got much, if anything. He seems to miss the mysis. Here is one more video which probably confirms the spinal injury:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. This hobby can be really frustrating at times. Usually it's coral. But now it's getting fish through QT.

Somewhere between this morning - when the pintail was fine - and this evening, something happened to him. Looks like another spinal injury.

He was listless in the current so I took off the power head and just have the HOB filter and sponge filter providing water movement at the moment.

He is now resting underneath the sponge but looks to be breathing heavily too. I'm not certain what's going on.

The Golden Rhomboid seems to be fine still. And they were schedule to be moved to the display tomorrow night. I'm so annoyed.

This hobby is brutal. I have a gorgeous laboutei fairy wrasse in QT. Was swimming, eating, etc, got through GC in water and food, no sign of disease at all.
And then, over about a day, losing ability to swim, tail weighted down, upside down, stopped eating.
So that's where we are. Removed all meds, added some magnesium for all the good that will do.
Just waiting for it to die, or miraculously recover. So discouraging.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose pure USP Epsom Salts at 1 Tablespoon per 5G for swelling, you can also use Maracyn as directed for secondary eye infection.
Thanks.

Is the API Erythro just as effective? I don't have access to the Fritz product locally.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks
I just went down to feed and I got a strong feeding response. Unfortunately I don't think he got much, if anything. He seems to miss the mysis. Here is one more video which probably confirms the spinal injury:

Unfortunately I don’t think he is going to survive.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is brutal. I have a gorgeous laboutei fairy wrasse in QT. Was swimming, eating, etc, got through GC in water and food, no sign of disease at all.
And then, over about a day, losing ability to swim, tail weighted down, upside down, stopped eating.
So that's where we are. Removed all meds, added some magnesium for all the good that will do.
Just waiting for it to die, or miraculously recover. So discouraging.
Sorry to hear. Very frustrating.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back