Is this Uronema? Join my QT adventure...

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I've learned a lot from all of you, and that is one of the fun things about the hobby. I'm hopeful a net screen top will prevent this from happening ever again. I'll post when I get some new fish in QT.

BRS has 1/8 plastic mesh for $11 a roll

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two new fish coming in from two different sources this week. One has their salinity at 1.019 and the other at 1.025. I'll be QT'ing at the same time in the same tank. What should I start the QT salinity at? Is this enough of a difference to hurt either fish if I just pick one level or the other? I don't drip acclimate.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two new fish coming in from two different sources this week. One has their salinity at 1.019 and the other at 1.025. I'll be QT'ing at the same time in the same tank. What should I start the QT salinity at? Is this enough of a difference to hurt either fish if I just pick one level or the other? I don't drip acclimate.
1.019 is where we keep our tanks, salinity can be reduced without causing too much stress to the fish. Increasing is a different story, that would be very tough on the fish.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.019 is where we keep our tanks, salinity can be reduced without causing too much stress to the fish. Increasing is a different story, that would be very tough on the fish.

So I would have the QT at 1.019 which would be fine for one fish, obviously. Are you saying the fish in 1.025 can go into 1.019 without drip acclimating, without a problem?

I'll be running this QT with a soft net top, which means there will be evaporation. Again, I will start with 1.019, but is there any reason to continue QT at 1.019, or can I just let the evaporation take the salinity to 1.026 over the course of several days? Thanks.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can acclimate your fish for 1.019.It's easier on the fish.When finished with your QT, raise salinity slowly.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would have the QT at 1.019 which would be fine for one fish, obviously. Are you saying the fish in 1.025 can go into 1.019 without drip acclimating, without a problem?

I'll be running this QT with a soft net top, which means there will be evaporation. Again, I will start with 1.019, but is there any reason to continue QT at 1.019, or can I just let the evaporation take the salinity to 1.026 over the course of several days? Thanks.
I’m saying you can drop it over the course of 20-60 minutes whereas the inverse would be more risky. They’d probably survive a sudden drop but I wouldn’t recommend that course of action.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this thread's title is now deceiving, but I'll continue to update here anyway haha. I received a new juvenile Golden Rhomboid yesterday. I also got a new Pintail Fairy Wrasse. This bad situation has a silver lining, because the Pintail I received is probably the best specimen I have ever seen. It's incredible. I'll post pictures when I get a chance...it's snowing today in New England and the QT is in the basement, so lighting isn't great.

Anyway, I acclimated yesterday. The tank had 1ppm Copper Power when they went in. I also dosed Furan-2, Metroplex, and Kanaplex. Today I raised the Copper Power to 1.25ppm. I just fed them for the first time and they are eating voraciously...good sign. I'm feeding Mysis soaked in Focus and General Cure.

Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is still going really well. They are eating a ton and while I haven't seen them poop yet, the poop on the bottom of the tank looks normal.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, in the last unsuccessful round of QT, I used an acrylic top so I didn't lose water to evaporation. This resulted in the jumping Rhomboid dying from a spinal injury. This go-round I made a screen frame and soft net from BRS. But I also wrapped it several times in Saran Wrap, which keeps the top soft while eliminating evaporation. In fact the soft net was probably unnecessary, as I could have just wrapped the frame in Saran Wrap. I feel bad I had a Rhomboid die because I didn't think of this trick before.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that overall the quality of fish now compared to what it was in the 90s, or even 10 years ago is not even close to the same.

Not sure what has changed, but the stuff you saw and read about in only books is seemingly the case with a lot of fish brought in.

Was just at a so called good lfs over the weekend, bacterial infections, brook, swim bladder issues and ich was abound . Might be everyone is trying to compete with the Jones’s and bring in cheaper fish to compete price wise .

Currently I have a juvenile emperor and a flame wrasse in qt, although they are eating, have little confidence they will turn out alright.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that overall the quality of fish now compared to what it was in the 90s, or even 10 years ago is not even close to the same.

Not sure what has changed, but the stuff you saw and read about in only books is seemingly the case with a lot of fish brought in.

Was just at a so called good lfs over the weekend, bacterial infections, brook, swim bladder issues and ich was abound . Might be everyone is trying to compete with the Jones’s and bring in cheaper fish to compete price wise .

Currently I have a juvenile emperor and a flame wrasse in qt, although they are eating, have little confidence they will turn out alright.

It actually seems worse than it was just a few years ago, in my opinion.

Hopefully in the long-term, people can figure out how to breed most of these fish and we won't have to pull them out of the ocean and we can buy fish that are healthy from the beginning.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...I'm happy to report both fish are doing very well and were moved to the second sterile tank on Sunday evening. I gave the first dose of General Cure Monday morning...so far, so good. I'm hoping they can go into my display on 03/31!

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. This hobby can be really frustrating at times. Usually it's coral. But now it's getting fish through QT.

Somewhere between this morning - when the pintail was fine - and this evening, something happened to him. Looks like another spinal injury.

He was listless in the current so I took off the power head and just have the HOB filter and sponge filter providing water movement at the moment.

He is now resting underneath the sponge but looks to be breathing heavily too. I'm not certain what's going on.

The Golden Rhomboid seems to be fine still. And they were schedule to be moved to the display tomorrow night. I'm so annoyed.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. This hobby can be really frustrating at times. Usually it's coral. But now it's getting fish through QT.

Somewhere between this morning - when the pintail was fine - and this evening, something happened to him. Looks like another spinal injury.

He was listless in the current so I took off the power head and just have the HOB filter and sponge filter providing water movement at the moment.

He is now resting underneath the sponge but looks to be breathing heavily too. I'm not certain what's going on.

The Golden Rhomboid seems to be fine still. And they were schedule to be moved to the display tomorrow night. I'm so annoyed.

Man how I know the feeling, I will say heavy breathing isn’t typical for a spinal injury. I’m assuming there isn’t an ammonia problem since the other fish is doing ok.
When you say listless in the powerhead what do you mean? Like he couldn’t stay out of it? If he was seeking heavy flow I would wonder if Velvet got through your QT. The worst part is Wrasses don’t typically show the classic symptoms so it can be tough to diagnose. What level did you keep your copper at? How did you test? Did it ever drop below 1.50ppm?

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reading on the Ammonia Alert badge. When I say listless, I mean he was getting blown around by the power head, not seeking flow. It was very similar to the Golden Rhomboid earlier in the thread. The only difference seems to be the heavy breathing.

Copper never dropped below 1.75ppm. I tested with Hanna Checker.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reading on the Ammonia Alert badge. When I say listless, I mean he was getting blown around by the power head, not seeking flow. It was very similar to the Golden Rhomboid earlier in the thread. The only difference seems to be the heavy breathing.

Copper never dropped below 1.75ppm. I tested with Hanna Checker.[/QUOTE

He’s not swimming vertical is he? If he is swimming vertically then it could be a spinal injury and the heavy breathing could be from exhaustion

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s not swimming vertical is he? If he is swimming vertically then it could be a spinal injury and the heavy breathing could be from exhaustion

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was mostly just lethargic, but then he went upside down for a bit before ending up right side up under the sponge.

I was scheduled to do the final water change after the last dose of GC tonight, which I did.

His breathing is still heavy but it has definitely improved. His mouth is more open than normal too, which I forgot to mention previously. He came out and swam fairly normally for a bit too, but I am not optimistic yet.

It’s so weird...I’ve had many fairy wrasses over the years and this has never happened.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back