Is this Uronema? Join my QT adventure...

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question for the moment...both fish were scheduled to go into the display tomorrow. Would you still go ahead with the healthy (apparently) Rhomboid?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question for the moment...both fish were scheduled to go into the display tomorrow. Would you still go ahead with the healthy (apparently) Rhomboid?

I think this wrasse is suffering a mechanical injury and not disease. I would probably watch a few more days to be sure but I think he would be fine.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks
I just went down to feed and I got a strong feeding response. Unfortunately I don't think he got much, if anything. He seems to miss the mysis. Here is one more video which probably confirms the spinal injury:

Doesn't look good. I was hopeful from the previous video.

It is a waiting game now. Let the fish rest, low stress and wait it out. That is all you can do. I have seen about 10% of fish recover from this. Unlikely but possible.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish told me once he equates a fairy wrasses spine to a stack of dimes. I’ve never heard something so true in my life

I'm not at all convinced that these situations are always due to trauma.
It doesn't always come on suddenly, and some of these fish don't act flighty nor are they observed to bash into things.
For example, my current laboutei took about 36 hours to develop the full blown 'spinal injury' syndrome.
I suspect an idiosyncratic reaction of some individual fish to medications or some other aspect of the water.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not at all convinced that these situations are always due to trauma.
It doesn't always come on suddenly, and some of these fish don't act flighty nor are they observed to bash into things.
For example, my current laboutei took about 36 hours to develop the full blown 'spinal injury' syndrome.
I suspect an idiosyncratic reaction of some individual fish to medications or some other aspect of the water.
I am suspect also, to which it is a discussion you and I have had as well. It always seems to happen in the presence of copper...

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...after a couple days more observation, I was confident that the Pintail's issue was not disease related, so I put the Rhomboid in the display Sunday evening. Early yesterday, the Rhomboid was hanging out in the top corner of the tank and letting itself get taken around by the flow a bit. I attributed it to just being in a new tank. By the evening he seemed to be behaving more normally...swimming around and eating so that appears to be going well thus far.

As for the Pintail, nothing has changed. He still can't eat and even though I've dosed the full course of Erythromycin and added Epsom Salts, his swimming has not improved and his eye is slightly worse. The eye is now the size of a small pea.

I'm not sure how much longer I should wait this out...

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...after a couple days more observation, I was confident that the Pintail's issue was not disease related, so I put the Rhomboid in the display Sunday evening. Early yesterday, the Rhomboid was hanging out in the top corner of the tank and letting itself get taken around by the flow a bit. I attributed it to just being in a new tank. By the evening he seemed to be behaving more normally...swimming around and eating so that appears to be going well thus far.

As for the Pintail, nothing has changed. He still can't eat and even though I've dosed the full course of Erythromycin and added Epsom Salts, his swimming has not improved and his eye is slightly worse. The eye is now the size of a small pea.

I'm not sure how much longer I should wait this out...

That is your call, I euthanized a wrasse with a “spinal injury” after he stopped eating and starting wasting away.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is your call, I euthanized a wrasse with a “spinal injury” after he stopped eating and starting wasting away.
Yeah it's tough to say. His lack of activity seems to have reduced his need for food, because his stomach doesn't looked sucked in at all. He looks pretty good aside from the injury. It's entirely possible he is eating when I am away too...there seems to be less mysis on the bottom than I am putting in. I'm still getting a feeding response, he just doesn't strike while I am sitting there.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's tough to say. His lack of activity seems to have reduced his need for food, because his stomach doesn't looked sucked in at all. He looks pretty good aside from the injury. It's entirely possible he is eating when I am away too...there seems to be less mysis on the bottom than I am putting in. I'm still getting a feeding response, he just doesn't strike while I am sitting there.

I would give it time then, mine would just lay on the bottom and breathe. He had stopped eating a week prior and he was obviously wasting away.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rhomboid is doing well and seems to have become comfortable in its new home.

The Pintail is an interesting case...the erythromycin seems to be working, because the eye infection has gotten much better. It seems like his immune system is working. Unfortunately I still don't see him eating, the swimming isn't improving, and he is now often hanging near the top with his mouth above the water line.

OP
OP
F

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am happy to close this thread despite not having good news. I euthanized the Pintail over the weekend. Amazingly, his eye healed from the injury despite his weakened state. Unfortunately, he was floating at the top for a couple days and was barely breathing when I euthanized him.

Since my current tank is fully stocked, I won't be QT'ing again for awhile. But I think in the future I will use 40 gallon breeders for any wrasses. It will be interesting to see if these "spinal injuries" are just that, or something else altogether. I may even keep a camera on the QT!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am happy to close this thread despite not having good news. I euthanized the Pintail over the weekend. Amazingly, his eye healed from the injury despite his weakened state. Unfortunately, he was floating at the top for a couple days and was barely breathing when I euthanized him.

Since my current tank is fully stocked, I won't be QT'ing again for awhile. But I think in the future I will use 40 gallon breeders for any wrasses. It will be interesting to see if these "spinal injuries" are just that, or something else altogether. I may even keep a camera on the QT!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sorry for your loss :(

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.2%
Back