Is this what I think it is??

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been noticing this red algae for awhile in my tank so I cracked open of vibrant to see if that would help get rid of it. It has helped a little but I’m noticing new patches popping up in the sand and the diatoms that once a memory are back too.

So I guess my question is is this cyano? I don’t want to treat until know for sure, thanks.

0FA28303-8AA0-4151-87D5-C3A207DA4765.jpeg 2D31AF9C-B226-4250-964B-D735CB37B59D.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Cyano.
Check N and P are in normal ranges, blow it off, suck it out, increase flow in that area if possible.
Make sure your RODI is running below 5ppm.
I’ve heard some say after using a vibrant they got Cyano, but no proof of that.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been noticing this red algae for awhile in my tank so I cracked open of vibrant to see if that would help get rid of it. It has helped a little but I’m noticing new patches popping up in the sand and the diatoms that once a memory are back too.

So I guess my question is is this cyano? I don’t want to treat until know for sure, thanks.

0FA28303-8AA0-4151-87D5-C3A207DA4765.jpeg 2D31AF9C-B226-4250-964B-D735CB37B59D.jpeg
Looks like it.

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Cyano.
Check N and P are in normal ranges, blow it off, suck it out, increase flow in that area if possible.
Make sure your RODI is running below 5ppm.
I’ve heard some say after using a vibrant they got Cyano, but no proof of that.
I noticed it before using Vibrant, helped a little bit didn’t eradicate completely. My n & p are normal, rodi at 0 so I’ll try physical removal during my next water change.
Thanks!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cynobacteria is a symptom of imbalance that usually happens when consumers & competitors are limited during new tank start up.

Because Cynobacteria has unique methods that assimilate both nitrogen & phosphate when it’s not available in the water volume, it will outcompete other photosynthetic organisms when N & P are low.

Vibrant treats symptoms and contributes to other nuisance algae.

What are the nutrient levels in your tank, particularly nitrogen & phosphorous.

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cynobacteria is a symptom of imbalance that usually happens when consumers & competitors are limited during new tank start up.

Because Cynobacteria has unique methods that assimilate both nitrogen & phosphate when it’s not available in the water volume.

Nitrate 5 ppm (Red Sea test kit)
Phosphate 0.12 ( Hanna)

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because Cynobacteria has unique methods that assimilate both nitrogen & phosphate when it’s not available in the water volume, it will outcompete other photosynthetic organisms when N & P are low.

So should I stop dosing vibrant? I was thinking about using KZ cyanoclean.

Attachments

• C4C9A43C-9618-490C-94E8-69E15E2B07FE.jpeg
    C4C9A43C-9618-490C-94E8-69E15E2B07FE.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 47

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your phosphate is a little high, I do know of others that maintain that level and do fine. Something else to consider, even though those are the readings, algae consumes nutrients and it is possible the reading could be actually higher. again, just a thought.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP DOSING CHEMICALS

The picture that I saw is not a serious problem. Allow your system biochemistry to mature. You should relax and practice Zen.

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your phosphate is a little high, I do know of others that maintain that level and do fine. Something else to consider, even though those are the readings, algae consumes nutrients and it is possible the reading could be actually higher. again, just a thought.
STOP DOSING CHEMICALS

The picture that I saw is not a serious problem. Allow your system biochemistry to mature. You should relax and practice Zen.
I’m very much relaxed, the red algae had all but disappeared until I noticed a resurgence

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still researching ways to lower it, I’m currently using phosguard but any other suggestions are welcomed

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still researching ways to lower it, I’m currently using phosguard but any other suggestions are welcomed

I don't like using chemicals unless necessary. What are your routine water changes?

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been set up since July, if I read tank thread correctly.
You have a very new tank at less than 6 months old. How was tank inoculated with bacteria.
Dr Tim’s. Around that time maybe a month earlier, but I do agree it is still a new tank. I’m reading some posts about cyano and vibrant so I’m gonna stop dosing and see what happens

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many strains of Cynobacteria.

In one extreme cases with a thick red mat, after serious gravel vac, I used Boyd ChemiClean. Even though I saw no cyno after first 48 hours, I did a second 48 hour treatment. That was two months ago. It looks better now.

My system was a wreck, yours looks pristine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many strains of Cynobacteria.

In one extreme cases with a thick red mat, after serious gravel vac, I used Boyd ChemiClean. Even though I saw no cyno after first 48 hours, I did a second 48 hour treatment. That was two months ago. It looks better now.

My system was a wreck, yours looks pristine.
I wouldn’t say pristine lol but it’s much better than it was about a month or two ago. I thought I’d won the battle but it’s slowly coming back but I’m gonna try and remain calm and rely on siphoning before I try any more chemicals

Back