is Tracky dead

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv not saw my tracky open and its feeding tenticles for few weeks!
there is like white bone plates coming through in centre of body" is this its skeleton ?

IMG_20200201_161126.jpg
IMG_20200201_161142.jpg
IMG_20200201_161211.jpg

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doesn’t look happy. I would not say its dead until most/all of the green flesh is gone. I would do an iodine dip, place it in low flow and light, and attempt target feeding when lights are out.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wy this got like this? was doing ok for week in tank and was feeding on pellets 2 times week!
im dosing tropic marin balling 60ml day so should have all trace elements right?
it did get few pecks from my Moorish idol but did not look that bad!

is it because tank is only running 4 months and just getting diatoms uglies ?

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doesn’t look happy. I would not say its dead until most/all of the green flesh is gone. I would do an iodine dip, place it in low flow and light, and attempt target feeding when lights are out.
iv got some brightwells lugols iodine if that's ok? never used iodine before! how long you dip for buddy ?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv got some brightwells lugols iodine if that's ok? never used iodine before! how long you dip for buddy ?

That will work. I take tank water and stir in enough iodine to make it a light tea color. I let the coral soak for about 10mins, nothing crazy. People have different methods, but for me this works.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral is not dead,its closed up. give it a dip in your iodine.about 10 drops in a whip cream size container. Stop feeding.your alk should be around 9.5 -10... If it fluffs back up try feeding 1/4in piece of raw shrimp or scallops.,once a week

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral is not dead,its closed up. give it a dip in your iodine.about 10 drops in a whip cream size container. Stop feeding.your alk should be around 9.5 -10... If it fluffs back up try feeding 1/4in piece of raw shrimp or scallops.,once a week
my alk is always at around 8.4 dkh and thank you for reply and help

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually close up when water params start going bad,when something is picking at it,to much light or flow.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh,you can repeat the dip every 3 days for 2 weeks.if it has a bacterial infection

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh,you can repeat the dip every 3 days for 2 weeks.if it has a bacterial infection
my water is ok in alk/calc/mag but no phosphate or nitrate as new setup! iv put into light at around 120 par tracky was getting lot more few weeks when feeding at around 220par

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dipped in iodine few weeks ago and moved to par of around 140par and lower flow!

i also started dosing brightwells neophos and neonitro few weeks ago to get nutrients off zero

does my tracky look better than was?

IMG_20200221_153507.jpg
IMG_20200221_153530.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed few times a week but don't know if feeding as don't ever see any feeding tenticles ?

when I first had coral I noticed the small clear/white tenticles come out at times! I never see anymore!

do they have to show tenticles to feed?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, yes. I wouldn't bother feeding it anything, really. Get some Reef Roids or Reef Chili and squeeze a mix of it at the coral. If it triggers a feeding response, squeeze a little more. Do this with pumps, including return, off. They are not large food eaters, they are passive plankton feeders and get a vast majority of their nutrients from the light so feeding is really unnecessary. Moderate to moderately strong lighting is preferred.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, yes. I wouldn't bother feeding it anything, really. Get some Reef Roids or Reef Chili and squeeze a mix of it at the coral. If it triggers a feeding response, squeeze a little more. Do this with pumps, including return, off. They are not large food eaters, they are passive plankton feeders and get a vast majority of their nutrients from the light so feeding is really unnecessary. Moderate to moderately strong lighting is preferred.
Thank you for top reply bud"

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back