OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed this vacuum method on the first portion of the mix station plumbing. I’ll take pics and see if it works. I’m letting the cement cure for a couple hours.

In the meantime…the Skims Leopard 75 pump is, I think, not constructed properly.

47DDB7EA-C11D-445E-91EA-395F1BAFB436.jpeg

The o-ring did definitely need to be reseated…I also coated it with silicone grease. The pump is really constructed oddly, but after letting it sit a couple days with water in it here is where the leak continues…

34DEC418-727F-4966-B506-382489C5D7EC.jpeg

I don’t think I can fix this issue…maybe.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on Mixing Station

The vacuum technique worked. I used the shop vac to create the vacuum in the pipe. I used purple primer this time and encircled the joints hoping the primer gets pulled into any holes where the vacuum would be pulling air. Then followed up the primer with the Oatey Fusion cement I used earlier.

A654A5E3-04A6-4FCE-BCB1-A7F0CF1480D5.jpeg

F653F57D-FA7B-4E13-BFB1-FF684A24FF0D.jpeg

Somewhat of a purple massacre but at this point I just want to correct the joints.

94BC99A0-455F-4608-B1D4-BD23E2CE0725.jpeg

No leaks after ~24 hours of curing…

7CE100F0-362E-497F-85B3-F04A6D723797.jpeg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The repairs to the Skimz Leopard L75 just didn’t work.

The crazy glue worked on the front seam…but my efforts on the O-ring connection between the motor block and the white plate were fruitless. It’s still leaking from behind that white plate.

CA6CF0FC-86F4-46F8-A97E-73B083CD1CA9.jpeg

I even used plumbers putty to surround the internal cavity that compresses against the motor block.

03000FF7-515F-489D-8C07-845AC12B1CE6.jpeg

or even replacing the O-ring and coating it with silicone

851ED1B6-0C0B-426E-B1CE-C08BBDB7ACC2.jpeg

nothing worked.

I’m going to say that this pump has a problem with the design. This o-ring just isn’t positioned correctly

6C7E3F97-683F-4ECC-A544-3236BB70ED85.jpeg

Ugh…

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI Upgraded Mixing Station Next Steps...

Giving up on the very badly designed Skimz Leopard L75 pump I've started looking around for a replacement. My current situation is that I have a new Ecotech L2 already plumbed into the new CADE ( sitting there dry )....but it's a good pump that can handle pushing water up the six feet and mixing two tanks at once. But I do not want to use a pump of that quality on a mixing station. But if I did move the L2 to mixing station duties then I would need something for the CADE return.

I have two Ecotech returns, one M2 and one M1...plus an M1 backup pump sitting in my emergency bin. I could use one of these but again these are years old and two have been in service for a while.

What if I bought a new pump for the CADE?

I was looking at the Neptune COR 15 or COR 20. These would be great in that they integrate with the APEX -- blockage, heating, etc are nice but not drawing me to it.....I like the COR15 because it has no power brick but I think is under powered for the ~180 gallon display. And the COR 20 has the worst reviews I've ever seen on a return pump.

Now I'm just thinking to keep the L2 for the CADE and pick up a new Jebao MDP-8000. It seems powerful based on the specs via Amazon. And it's only $139.99 so I'm not going to feel all that guilty buying another pump.

6166TzTJPvS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51kic628laS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A cheap DC pump like this could be all I need. And the reviews seem positive. This could be a nice pump for a mixing station.

Package includes:
MDP-8000 DC return pump, power adapter, controller, PVC adapters: 3/4" , 1", 1-1/4" Barbed Adapters: 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" --- so it has the parts I need.

Power wise:
65-watt 110-120v 60hz and a max flow: 2113gph, max head: 17ft

Dimension: 8x5x6 inch

I could go one model higher for an extra $30, The MDP-13000 and get a Max Flow: 3566gph and a Max head: 19.6ft....

Not sure. But these Jebao's are a cheaper way to go.

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI Upgraded Mixing Station Next Steps...

Giving up on the very badly designed Skimz Leopard L75 pump I've started looking around for a replacement. My current situation is that I have a new Ecotech L2 already plumbed into the new CADE ( sitting there dry )....but it's a good pump that can handle pushing water up the six feet and mixing two tanks at once. But I do not want to use a pump of that quality on a mixing station. But if I did move the L2 to mixing station duties then I would need something for the CADE return.

I have two Ecotech returns, one M2 and one M1...plus an M1 backup pump sitting in my emergency bin. I could use one of these but again these are years old and two have been in service for a while.

What if I bought a new pump for the CADE?

I was looking at the Neptune COR 15 or COR 20. These would be great in that they integrate with the APEX -- blockage, heating, etc are nice but not drawing me to it.....I like the COR15 because it has no power brick but I think is under powered for the ~180 gallon display. And the COR 20 has the worst reviews I've ever seen on a return pump.

Now I'm just thinking to keep the L2 for the CADE and pick up a new Jebao MDP-8000. It seems powerful based on the specs via Amazon. And it's only $139.99 so I'm not going to feel all that guilty buying another pump.

6166TzTJPvS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51kic628laS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A cheap DC pump like this could be all I need. And the reviews seem positive. This could be a nice pump for a mixing station.

Package includes:
MDP-8000 DC return pump, power adapter, controller, PVC adapters: 3/4" , 1", 1-1/4" Barbed Adapters: 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" --- so it has the parts I need.

Power wise:
65-watt 110-120v 60hz and a max flow: 2113gph, max head: 17ft

Dimension: 8x5x6 inch

I could go one model higher for an extra $30, The MDP-13000 and get a Max Flow: 3566gph and a Max head: 19.6ft....

Not sure. But these Jebao's are a cheaper way to go.
If you're not set on having a DC pump, look into Danner Mag pumps. I have a Mag-12 on my mixing station and am super happy with it. Lower max flow than the -8000 but almost the same at 10ft head (assuming the Jebao stats are accurate, they've always had a too good to be true feeling to me). The mag's are a little noisy compared to a DC pump but pretty much bomb proof and AC means simply plug it in and pump go whirr; easy to control (and monitor) with APEX and no controller to fry. Just my 2c :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Jebao MDP-8000 -- well, it's meant to be run outside of water. Water is used to cool the motor. So scratch that idea.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Isaac, are you sure the Skimz Leopard pump is unfixable? I was wondering if there was some molding flash or scratches on the surfaces where the o-ring seals to the body. Is there any cracks or nibbles on the o-ring?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Isaac, are you sure the Skimz Leopard pump is unfixable? I was wondering if there was some molding flash or scratches on the surfaces where the o-ring seals to the body. Is there any cracks or nibbles on the o-ring?

I tried a replacement O-ring of the same size. I don't feel any nicks or any malformations on either ring. My concern is that I had to seal the front of the housing with super glue, and this is a part that has joints...so its already failing the QA. Looking around and it seems these Leopard pumps tend to leak.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that certainly sucks. Can you take a picture of the inside of the white housing? (The part that matches up to pic 4 of post 84) I wonder if the designers miscalculated the squeeze on the o-ring or too much lead in chamfer.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing to finish up the Saltwater Mixing Station

…I picked up a cosmetic packaging damage from Amazon warehouse, yet still unused Iwaki MD-40RXT. Super deal on Amazon. Hopefully it works.

image.jpg

Got my AC plug with a light in it that should work great…

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Will get this in the system after work…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like how this comes with the output angled.

image.jpg

Looks like I can change the angle easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second times the charm, hopefully.

~175 gallon saltwater mixing station plus 120 gallon RODI storage is replumbed with the new Iwaki MD pump. All this to hopefully get the new Cade system up and running soon.

ABA88835-A2B2-46B1-B1FE-DD5B456BA1B4.jpeg

Letting things cure overnight and will leak test in the morning. I hope this side of things is done.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the Mixing Station

I recorded the initial test so I could share it more easily.

So two issues found:

One tiny leak and the Iwaki not starting on its own.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some reading. Seems like a lot of pool pump posts out there with similar issues — and the hummm- on-starting is typically a starter capacitor. dang. Never easy…ugh.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back