ISO: Brooding Anglers

kmmika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I am a scientist (postdoc) at the University of Chicago who is interested in studying the genetics and development of anglers. To carry out my work, I need very particular species (listed below) and am striking out with the usual suppliers. I thought I'd turn to the true heroes of organismal research- you all. Any help or leads on any of the species listed below would be fantastic and I'm happy to answer any questions! Ideally, I need at least 2 from any particular species, and I only really need one or two species but any of the below should work. The fish will be housed in a large connected system of salt-water tanks, or quarantine, and well cared for. Thank you in advance!

Lophiocharon:
*Marble-mouthed Angler
Three-spot Angler
Hutchin's Angler

*Histiophryne:
Bougainville's anglerfish
Cryptic anglerfish
Queensland frogfish
Psychedelic frogfish
Histiophryne pogonius
Histiophryne narungga

Rhycherus:
Tassled frogfish
Glover's anglerfish

*Top choices, if somehow there are options. But I'll take what I can get!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den has some of these species, perhaps one or two per week. I’d check every day at 6:00 PM EST.

Quality marine has 2-4 of these species available at any given time, but you’ll need to find a company that will buy from them and sell to you. QM supplies many online retailers. They don’t sell direct to consumer and you’ll need a retail storefront to sell live fish to set up an account, which doesn’t apply to many as I understand

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kmmika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you so much for the info! I've been watching Diver's Den (though I admit, I've missed some days) and have found a lot of Antennarius (which unfortunately don't brood) but not the other angler species. Knowing the 6pm EST timing may help though! And thanks for the the Quality Marine lead! I'll see if a LFS to me can help me out. :)

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a couple sargassum frogfish help out?
I may be able to collect and send you a couple during summer time. This for research and not for profit right? Let me make sure I can ship them wthout getting in trouble!?!?

OP
OP
K

kmmika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi chris85! Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, Sargassum frogfish reproducing using rafts of eggs and don't brood and no one has figured out how to successfully rear those eggs in aquaria. I really wish they would work though! On the off chance I give up on my reproducing dreams and move to adult samples (a more limiting study), this is 100% for research and not to turn a profit. I'd link to the lab website but it hasn't been updated in so long it says we work on salamanders and not fish....

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi chris85! Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, Sargassum frogfish reproducing using rafts of eggs and don't brood and no one has figured out how to successfully rear those eggs in aquaria. I really wish they would work though! On the off chance I give up on my reproducing dreams and move to adult samples (a more limiting study), this is 100% for research and not to turn a profit. I'd link to the lab website but it hasn't been updated in so long it says we work on salamanders and not fish....
Ok I do alot of collecting and they are on the list of species!! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't for profit for legal purposes with the wildlife and fisheries!! If you need some help with setting up a breeding system I may be able to help. I had my system where it would produce one species of critter at a time. I have done peps, molly millers, few species of killifish and a few others. Two in the top and average 5-10 out the bottom. I was working with saltwater mollies, but recently had a boo boo and I have to redo my system.

Do you have any pictures of the eggs? maybe I could collect some off the sargasum when it comes in. I have always had a problem with even keeping two in a tank together!! How to you get them to pair with them being lets say hungry all the time?

Please do I am always looking for more breeding sources!!!

OP
OP
K

kmmika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I do alot of collecting and they are on the list of species!! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't for profit for legal purposes with the wildlife and fisheries!! If you need some help with setting up a breeding system I may be able to help. I had my system where it would produce one species of critter at a time. I have done peps, molly millers, few species of killifish and a few others. Two in the top and average 5-10 out the bottom. I was working with saltwater mollies, but recently had a boo boo and I have to redo my system.

Do you have any pictures of the eggs? maybe I could collect some off the sargasum when it comes in. I have always had a problem with even keeping two in a tank together!! How to you get them to pair with them being lets say hungry all the time?

Please do I am always looking for more breeding sources!!!

If you have any ideas for breeding anglers, I'd gladly love to listen! I've reached out to a number of people but everyone kind of agrees that as on now success only comes from having brooding species, great water parameters, and a bit of luck (hence the list of species I'm searching for). I would love to be able to work with the other angler species if we could crack pelagic reproduction!

This is the only link I can find about Sargassum Fish spawning: https://breedersregistry.org/journa...e-spawning-of-sargassum-fish-histrio-histrio/
It looks like you just need A LOT of space to keep multiple of this species together and the egg rafts are translucent.

Thanks for the interest and assistance!

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will stick around.... and keep us updated. Please

Mirya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you so much for the info! I've been watching Diver's Den (though I admit, I've missed some days) and have found a lot of Antennarius (which unfortunately don't brood) but not the other angler species. Knowing the 6pm EST timing may help though! And thanks for the the Quality Marine lead! I'll see if a LFS to me can help me out. :)

You can also sign up for Diver's Den to e-mail you in the afternoon what fish they are likely going to put up for sale that evening at 6pm. Here is the link: https://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/DDemailSignUp_form.cfm

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back