Status
Not open for further replies.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's only the beginning. Millions of dogs and cats are in need of homes. It boggles my mind that so many people choose to make MORE dogs, on purpose, just so they can have exactly what they want (which btw probably can be found in a shelter somewhere).

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take the slippery slope over puppy mills any day of the week. Less euthanized dogs and cats is a win in my book.
Are Puppy Mills the one's to blame for over population? They are definitely not good but doesn't seem to address the real problem of overpopulation. I can only speak from my personal observation, but how many pet shops selling puppies and kittens are around these days? I very rarely see them anymore where there used to be one in ever mall. Not anymore. I think the real problem are the backyard breeders on Craig'sList cranking out Chihuahuas and Pitbulls no stop. My idea was to make it that you have to be licensed to breed dogs and cats or face a fine, limited number of license could be handed out per year.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that buy high bred dogs are not going adopt mixed breed homeless animals for the most part.

Unfortunately here the rules for adoption are so stringent and sometimes weird they are an obstacle to adoption.

Until owners act responsibly there is no easy solution for the problem.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is alway a legal way around. I do agree that rescues and purebreds need to both be looked after.

penguin_free

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about leaving Schatzi (the rottie in my avatar pic) unfixed; it would be a lot of fun to raise a littler of rottie pups. But it would be tough to let them go ! So I did have her fixed at a little over 6 months old.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I abhor the idea of puppy mills, this law is targeting the wrong end of the supply chain. I think the law will cause more problems than it solves.

I can easily see unscrupulous shop owners "routing" puppies through shelters so they can say the puppies "originated" there....while the ethical pet store owners (the ones who actually gave a dang about the dogs, took care of them with vet visits and vaccinations and quality food) go out of business.

So short sighted and sad.

ETA: says the 3 rescue mom

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I abhor the idea of puppy mills, this law is targeting the wrong end of the supply chain. I think the law will cause more problems than it solves.

I can easily see unscrupulous shop owners "routing" puppies through shelters so they can say the puppies "originated" there....while the ethical pet store owners (the ones who actually gave a dang about the dogs, took care of them with vet visits and vaccinations and quality food) go out of business.

So short sighted and sad.

ETA: says the 3 rescue mom
Eh. On the other hand, consumers are prettt blind to where stuff comes from. By passing the law it created a huge buzz and brought the problem to light.
I'd also kinda equate it to cyanide fishing in way. If you can get super awesome fish super cheap, folks buy them. Yea the fish is gonna die or have long term health problems, but the unscrupulous supplier makes his money. So by stopping this one (really really high volume ) supply of unhealthy animals , it brings both the the problem to light and stops the scumbags from having easy access to a sales outlet for his inbred puppies.

So imo, the law is there to stop sales to the ignorant , inform the ignorant , and prevent those that just don't care the puppy's mother and father are brother and sister as long as it's cute and $65 from supporting scum.

He always has been. But the people of California continue to re-elect him.
The last guy didn't work out so good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope it's only the beginning. Millions of dogs and cats are in need of homes. It boggles my mind that so many people choose to make MORE dogs, on purpose, just so they can have exactly what they want (which btw probably can be found in a shelter somewhere).

Where do you think the millions of homeless dogs and cats come from? Do you really think the problem is people breeding pure-bred dogs and cats (which is what you're implying). How many people buy/adopt a dog - and 'can't afford it' and give it up? How many people buy/adopt a dog, cant afford to get it spayed/neutered and they have unwanted puppies (that are given up)? How many people buy a dog/cat irresponsibly that doesn't fit into their lifestyle and decide to 'give it up'. etc etc etc.

Im not at all for 'puppy mills'. The issue with puppy mills, though, is not that 'there are too many dogs', the issue with puppy mills is that the animals are kept in horrible conditions. Why not just license breeders and require that any 'pet store' that sells an animal only buy an animal from a state-licensed facility. The OP seems to be correct in their assessment that this has little to do with puppy mills per se (as that is an easily fixed problem) - but rather an animal rights agenda - many of whom feel that keeping fish/coral/etc in aquaria is cruel and should be banned.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP seems to be correct in their assessment that this has little to do with puppy mills per se (as that is an easily fixed problem) - but rather an animal rights agenda - many of whom feel that
Sadly, this one is actually about puppy mils.
Folks that live here often forget the scale of the Ca economy and the volume that entails. That's a LOT of puppies. A LOT.

Heck, the fresh fish section at Costco makes me shudder. If there are that many fish in just one store headed to the dumpster , imagine the volume of fish to supply all the stores in the country.
No wonder the penguins had a mass chick die off this year. There's no fish to feed them. (That's another thread I suppose.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back