It's all @Paul B's fault... my journey to an immune reef (hopefully!)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The Fish whispers I just came back from the fish market about to make my mix. What you guys think about me adding some garlic into the mix ?

@Mr. Paul B. @Mr. Atoll @Mr.Lasse

Simple question simple answer, don't. I have never used any garlic what so ever and won't feed any foods containing it. IMO it is nothing more than snake oil and long term will damage fishes livers.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/ Equalise the temp of the fish in the bag by floating it for 2o to 30 mins.
2/ Mix the water from the DT with the bag over another half hour or so.
3/Release the fish with the water in the bag into the DT.

No QT and all very simple really.
Thank you I have not OT for it's hard to remember but 25 to 30 years

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never QTd a fish in my 37 years keeping marines. Around 27 years without a serious outbreak of disease since I changed my ways to keeping them.
I can remember getting fish from the airport from the south pacific I had a 30 gallon that I usually put the fish in for awhile it was in the living room to so it was a DT but I had a 225 and a 150 then too, under gravel filter and then wet dry bio balls

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The Fish whispers I just came back from the fish market about to make my mix. What you guys think about me adding some garlic into the mix ?

@Mr. Paul B. @Mr. Atoll @Mr.Lasse

I'm afraid to say anything. :confused:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can remember getting fish from the airport from the south pacific I had a 30 gallon that I usually put the fish in for awhile it was in the living room to so it was a DT but I had a 225 and a 150 then too, under gravel filter and then wet dry bio balls

So one of the books i have is the encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish. Under the setup of both fresh and salt it starts with how to setup a under gravel filter. I still use bio balls on my pond in a wet/dry filter.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run a UG filter. :D

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run a UG filter. :D
So do I

20180128_124435.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First year i ran my tank went berlin method with only filtration being an air stone protein skimmer.
After that either the random decision to deep clean my sand bed or just a year of running and not doing it before or some other reason for my failure. Turned into 4 months of fighting cyano then hair algae, then bubble algae.

Used to run walstad method on my planted tank. Might go back, co2 dosing NKP and csm+b, plants grow faster but its a lot more time intensive.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first used a UG filter with 4 uplifts and a 4 outlet air pump that vibrated so much your teeth's fillings would fall out and mirrors and photographs would fall off the wall the neighbours would ask me to stop constantly drilling the walls. :eek:

I then changed to UGRF (Under Gravel Reverse Flow) using a Hagen 403 (i think it might have been) which had 2 inputs and 2 outlets. I secured the outlet pipes into the uplifts (now downflows) with baby bottle teats. I just cut the tips off and stretched them over the 12mm pipes. However, they rotted in time but didn't seem to case any problem I had the downflow pipes in each back corner and the UG filter was made up of Rena interlocking filter plates then 2" of calcium plus a layer of gravel a thing called a gravel tidy over the calcium plus ( a gravel tidy was a flexible plastic mesh) This was topped off with 2" of coral sand. I remember it all so well :rolleyes:

Back