It's always exciting when...

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always exciting when you realize your first coral is starting to encrust and is growing!! :) Actually this Corky Sea Finger gorg is my third coral after my first two corals died at my hands making this gorg the first of my replacement corals and the first to begin to encrust. I also noticed the base of it is getting thicker with new polyps growing from it. :) As you can see I captured my Redhead goby gazing up at it lovingly. LOL. This is her hangout.

I have a question... In the left side of the attached photo I have a digitata that suffered horribly from the algae that kept getting on it through my ugly phase. The flesh paled out and I think most of the polyps bailed, all except two. The ugly phase is pretty much done and I think the flesh might be colouring up again so my question is.... Will the two remaining polyps spread out and cover the frag again or is the best I can hope for new growth?

20220726_171055_compress77.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you shared correct photos of a corky sea finger gorg?
Yours looks like some kind if clove polyps, like firework cloves maybe.
Google search and the images came up in other picture I shared

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-235416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-235416_Chrome.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220726-235408_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-235408_Google.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you shared correct photos of a corky sea finger gorg?
Yours looks like some kind if clove polyps, like firework cloves maybe.
Google search and the images came up in other picture I shared
I know it's a gorg for sure. It was listed as a corky. This is the second one, the first one died. I was actually at the LFS when I bought it. Another member posted one that looked like this as well. It might be a different gorg but it's definitely not a clove polyp.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok zoomed in closer on one them images from Google that I shared ,so disregard my above post ha ha
LOL... Ya, I know for sure it's a gorg. It came from an LFS that knows it's corals. Admittedly though I too thought it was a clove when I first saw it in the store. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... Ya, I know for sure it's a gorg. It came from an LFS that knows it's corals. Admittedly though I too thought it was a clove when I first saw it in the store. :)
Yeah looked so much like a little colony of clove polpys when first looked then thought ummm why she saying gorg so best look into it more and yeah I was wrong totally ( often happens ha ha)
But answer to your post, I am excited when coral still alive after few weeks/months,had terrible luck with 3 torches, ranging from alive for 2 days /few weeks and longest 3-4 months,not sure if pest,lights or was just to new a tank as first one that lasted longest was at tanks 9 month stage,but could quite simply be wild got torches and read dont do so well as tank raised torches so staying away from torches and euphlia for time being.all other corals going great so aslong as alive but preferably growing/entrusting then that would be what's exciting ^_^

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looked so much like a little colony of clove polpys when first looked then thought ummm why she saying gorg so best look into it more and yeah I was wrong totally ( often happens ha ha)
But answer to your post, I am excited when coral still alive after few weeks/months,had terrible luck with 3 torches, ranging from alive for 2 days /few weeks and longest 3-4 months,not sure if pest,lights or was just to new a tank as first one that lasted longest was at tanks 9 month stage,but could quite simply be wild got torches and read dont do so well as tank raised torches so staying away from torches and euphlia for time being.all other corals going great so aslong as alive but preferably growing/entrusting then that would be what's exciting ^_^
I know exactly what you mean. I know my first two died (which were also gorgs) because I totally had the wrong light (it was the stock light and this tank is meant for freshwater) and no flow. After that I upgraded the light and got two powerheads I added this gorg and a couple others. Wow, what a difference the light and powerheads made! I just recently upped the light intensity and I think that has also helped. I wasn't really paying attention to this coral because it's always so fluffy. It wasn't until it started closing for the night that I really looked at it and that's when I noticed the growth on it. At first I was like "what the heck is happening to the base" then I realized it was encrusting. I had no idea what an encrusting coral looked like. Haha.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back