Its been a while!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I dont plan on putting any fish in for a lil bit maybe week or 2. Longer if I need to wait for cycle.

Did your tank just get ugly for a bit? And what did you do to fix?
It was cloudy for a bit, so I waited until it cleared up, tested for ammonia and nitrite, and then added a blue chromis once they were both 0. I still went through an ugly stage though.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok thanks! I'll roll with it and see what happens.

How did your leak test go on the 110?
I didn't end up filling it today. I resealed the edges and am planning on tomorrow afternoon. Glad yours went well though!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Off to a good start

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Filled it this afternoon, so far no drips!!! If it holds overnight I'll be filling the sump and test running with the pumps on. I'm not far behind you!

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I ended up using that whole bottle for the first day of cycling. It said to do 25mg per 10 gallons. That was 5 shots of 15ml for my system. Idk if I should pick up another bottle or just let it play out. The rest of the instructions says 10ml per 10 gallons for 2 more days

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice! I ended up using that whole bottle for the first day of cycling. It said to do 25mg per 10 gallons. That was 5 shots of 15ml for my system. Idk if I should pick up another bottle or just let it play out. The rest of the instructions says 10ml per 10 gallons for 2 more days
I think if you're planning on adding fish right now they suggest the 10ml for the next few days, but if you're going to wait to add fish, I'd let it start nitrifying with the one bottle. It'll kickstart the cycle. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels before adding any fish. Once they're both at zero you're ready to slowly start adding fish.

From my understanding, the bacteria in a bottle is supposed to start your cycle while somehow detoxifying the ammonia and nitrite so that it's safe to add fish even though there may still be some present.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I'm waiting a bit before putting fish in. Actually to be honest I'm not much of a fish guy lol. I'm letting my wife and daughter pick the fish. I love my corals!!! I really debated just going coral only.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I'm waiting a bit before putting fish in. Actually to be honest I'm not much of a fish guy lol. I'm letting my wife and daughter pick the fish. I love my corals!!! I really debated just going coral only.
That's pretty much what the 110 is going to be. My wife wants me to set it up as a frag tank. CUC and minimal fish.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from work and noticed my sump was at the lower limit of water. I added some water yesterday mid day. I do have an ato I haven't put on but may have to. Other then that need to figure out why I've evaporated that much so far. Maybe it could be that there's a heater in that room idk

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got home from work and noticed my sump was at the lower limit of water. I added some water yesterday mid day. I do have an ato I haven't put on but may have to. Other then that need to figure out why I've evaporated that much so far. Maybe it could be that there's a heater in that room idk
Do you have a lot of surface agitation? That'll increase your evaporation a lot. I go through about a half gallon a day in my 75.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my first water test just for giggles. I'm so use to using a raw shrimp to do cycles and waiting for ever for everything to level out. And then the ugly phase. Well I used the flucal cycle bottle. Juat had enough to do day one per the bottle. Here's my results as of to day. It's only been 3 days

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

This thing cycled already?? If so wow

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these branches that I realy like but not sure where to add them. The wife says they look like male things lol
20220103_125018.jpg
Ooh I like the branches. :)

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my first water test just for giggles. I'm so use to using a raw shrimp to do cycles and waiting for ever for everything to level out. And then the ugly phase. Well I used the flucal cycle bottle. Juat had enough to do day one per the bottle. Here's my results as of to day. It's only been 3 days

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

This thing cycled already?? If so wow
It’s very possible that it has been cycled! If you want to be sure it can efficiently convert waste then you could add a bit of pure ammonia and see how long it takes for that to be converted.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is fish day! My wife and daughter are in charge of stocking the inhabitants so let's see what they come home with today.

Back