OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to get texture pics. Someone got in the way.
Really love the colors of my trachy.
20230203_152412.jpg
20230203_152421.jpg
20230203_152450.jpg

PS im not sensitive. Yes, i got me a vermetid infestation.

I have seen reports of possum wrasse and 6 line helping control them. Right now, no one has any of those nearby.

6 line is a demon.. so out of the story.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses can’t get to the worm while it’s in the tube. The reports of wrasses eating them are likely based on crushing the tube first. I have the thin tubed vermetids and so far bumble bee snails seem to be making an impact on them. I find bumble bees on top of the tubes so I guess they can get their little siphons down in the tube to get the worm IDK but it seems to be working.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wrasses can’t get to the worm while it’s in the tube. The reports of wrasses eating them are likely based on crushing the tube first. I have the thin tubed vermetids and so far bumble bee snails seem to be making an impact on them. I find bumble bees on top of the tubes so I guess they can get their little siphons down in the tube to get the worm IDK but it seems to be working.
thanks for that bit of information. Most of the places I buy from, dont have any. I'll try and get some in spring. Winter orders are a no go.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks for that bit of information. Most of the places I buy from, dont have any. I'll try and get some in spring. Winter orders are a no go.
Reef Cleaners had some and they're shipping again.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in this weather
John (Reef Cleaners) will ship them to you, but with cold weather in your area you’d do best with the overnight shipping. I just got 60 BB’s from him last week. Luckily enough I’m in the free usps range with mild temps.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
John (Reef Cleaners) will ship them to you, but with cold weather in your area you’d do best with the overnight shipping. I just got 60 BB’s from him last week. Luckily enough I’m in the free usps range with mild temps
I'll find a nice week to order. Im not saying no to reef cleaners at all.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get texture pics. Someone got in the way.
Really love the colors of my trachy.
20230203_152412.jpg
20230203_152421.jpg
20230203_152450.jpg

PS im not sensitive. Yes, i got me a vermetid infestation.

I have seen reports of possum wrasse and 6 line helping control them. Right now, no one has any of those nearby.

6 line is a demon.. so out of the story.
Nice to get an update on Eli!

I know what you mean about shipping in this weather. I made the mistake of getting excited with availability and pricing through an online fish supplier on a few fish I've been watching for a while and placed an order. When they let me know they could not ship due to weather, I realized what an idiot I am for placing the order in the middle of winter without thinking about it! It is supposed to still ship next Tuesday (at least the weather should be warmer then in my area, but still not great), so I hope all goes well. I did let them know in an email that I would prefer to wait for warmer weather, so we'll see if the shipment is still on Tuesday.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to get an update on Eli!

I know what you mean about shipping in this weather. I made the mistake of getting excited with availability and pricing through an online fish supplier on a few fish I've been watching for a while and placed an order. When they let me know they could not ship due to weather, I realized what an idiot I am for placing the order in the middle of winter without thinking about it! It is supposed to still ship next Tuesday (at least the weather should be warmer then in my area, but still not great), so I hope all goes well. I did let them know in an email that I would prefer to wait for warmer weather, so we'll see if the shipment is still on Tuesday.
TDLR :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to the lfs to see if they could get bumble bee snails... I don't have confidence in the locals no longer.

They kept raising their eye brows at me and thought I was talking about freshwater assassin snails. I told them I needed to get rid of vermetid snails, and .... We'll anyhow, they'll keep an eye out, their catalog didn't have any listed.

I'm just going to enjoy my coffee now.

Edit: I have seen emerald crabs eat the snails.... The only issue is... Crab....

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, going to my LFS is a lot like going to my local hardware store. The employee comes up and ask if there is anything they can help me with / what I am looking for... I tell them and I either get a blank look or bad information. Maybe I am the problem.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me, going to my LFS is a lot like going to my local hardware store. The employee comes up and ask if there is anything they can help me with / what I am looking for... I tell them and I either get a blank look or bad information. Maybe I am the problem.
Typical Home Depot.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually had an employee of a LFS (saltwater manager in fact) argue with me that an Astrea snail was a cerith. I allowed them to sell them to me for $0.99. I was at another store the other day and they refused to drop the price on a fish that they had mislabeled. She said they don't care what it actually is, only what they ordered it as. If the store sends them the wrong fish they just label it that way.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I actually had an employee of a LFS (saltwater manager in fact) argue with me that an Astrea snail was a cerith. I allowed them to sell them to me for $0.99. I was at another store the other day and they refused to drop the price on a fish that they had mislabeled. She said they don't care what it actually is, only what they ordered it as. If the store sends them the wrong fish they just label it that way.
That can work in your favor too

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back