It's weekend !! Time for a water change. . . Yay or Nay ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From viewing many threads weekly, I have come to notice weekend often means water change as Sunday is Church.
There are various feelings on water changes. Some do it and some don't. Some do it because their water tests or livestock suggest a need to perform this task while others do it because they feel obligated.
I do daily water changes of 2 gallons but in reality. . I hate water changes. So why do I do it- because Ive seen a huge improvement with coral color and growth and also remove nutrients and replenishes traces at the same time. I have a mixing station and should have no problem getting it done but yet procrastinate often. For a few years, I did a change maybe twice a year and corals also did well, minus the growth I get now.
When water changes don't get done, we often overlook a single element such as calcium, mag, alk and even trace elements.
As out tanks mature and corals grow, they consume more and then when they are in trouble, we resort to an ICP test and results say " We're Lazy". . . LOL
In reality, water changes are the most cost effective way to manage coral.

How do you feel about water changes?
Do you do yours on weekends only?
How much time do you spend doing water changes and do you find it annoying but must get done or do you accept it must be done?
What is your method of doing water changes (siphoning, automatic unit (AWC),

1692975164984.png
1692975200842.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a set time, but I am a water change person. I always have mix available and all that I have to do is to move some hoses and turn some valves. I like to do it in the morning for some reason - probably does not matter.

I change water for many reasons including introduction of balanced traces and removal of many bad things that could exist and we would never know since ICP, etc. do not test for everything... but mostly because I am cheap and lazy. $8 of salt changes 44 gallons of water and I don't have to test, worry or do much. I can change 300-400 gallons of water for what a single ICP test costs... and the water changes do not come back to me with more questions than answers.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a huge fan of WC and did them religiously on Water Change Wednesday, until March 28 2023. That was the day we started Reef Moonshiners. We have not done one since except by default as we obviously remove and replace water when we sell corals or exhibit at a show. We have been extremely happy with this method, and have so much more time for activities on Wednesdays now :D I still believe in WC as the best way to deal with many issues and would absolutely do one if I felt there was contaminants in the water or if I felt the systems would benefit from it. We also plan to do large water changes 2 times a year in January and July going forward to kind of reset the systems.

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do weekly 3g-4g water changes on my 40g AIO. Primarily to replenish anything that's been used up by my corals more so than water quality issues but I'm sure it helps with that as well (I'm not currently dosing anything extra).

I keep pre-mixed saltwater in the garage and use a AWC unit to do mine, it takes about an hour including cleanup, making more salt water, etc. The water change part itself probably only takes 15-20 minutes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved doing my water changes on sundays while watching football. Football, water changes, beer, and good sunday dinner, thats what I live for.

Unfortunately, with 3 tanks at home, I've decided to go every 2 weeks for water changes, possible even 3 weeks, its just getting too expensive for salt. Even the rodi filter replacements have gotten way more expensive.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water changes vary depending on what is going on in my tanks. I'm working to balance a 2yr old 15 gallon tank that's got an algae problem, so I'm trying small, more frequent changes for nutrient export. Otherwise I try to do a water change every 2-3 weeks on the salties.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7g on sundays 30g tank every week. Have some bubble algae going on on one of the rocks for the last 6-8 weeks so it takes a little longer picking algae but I enjoy it. I do my fresh water tanks same day that takes longer waiting for refill and water heater to reheat, but only every 3 weeks.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From viewing many threads weekly, I have come to notice weekend often means water change as Sunday is Church.
There are various feelings on water changes. Some do it and some don't. Some do it because their water tests or livestock suggest a need to perform this task while others do it because they feel obligated.
I do daily water changes of 2 gallons but in reality. . I hate water changes. So why do I do it- because Ive seen a huge improvement with coral color and growth and also remove nutrients and replenishes traces at the same time. I have a mixing station and should have no problem getting it done but yet procrastinate often. For a few years, I did a change maybe twice a year and corals also did well, minus the growth I get now.
When water changes don't get done, we often overlook a single element such as calcium, mag, alk and even trace elements.
As out tanks mature and corals grow, they consume more and then when they are in trouble, we resort to an ICP test and results say " We're Lazy". . . LOL
In reality, water changes are the most cost effective way to manage coral.

How do you feel about water changes?
Do you do yours on weekends only?
How much time do you spend doing water changes and do you find it annoying but must get done or do you accept it must be done?
What is your method of doing water changes (siphoning, automatic unit (AWC),

1692975164984.png
1692975200842.png
Agree with you - regular water changes seem to help - many will disagree. I also think you can get away without out them for a time - however, without them, IME, the tank MAY slowly deteriorate. Others swear by NOT doing them.

Some people use ICP to determine the need for water changes - however there are a lot of things not measured by ICP, and the solution if something is 'elevated' in an ICP - is usually a water change.... This was my rationale for not going that route, and instead doing regular small changes (not as often as daily, though)

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a schedule on WC but I do 20% every 2-4 weeks, I know its a wide range but I do it when I feel corals start looking unhappy or something is off. Once I do a WC they bounce back and look happier, very satisfying to see.

AbdominalSnowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can change 300-400 gallons of water for what a single ICP test costs... and the water changes do not come back to me with more questions than answers.
This… this right here…

200 gallon system, and I’m not gonna pretend I’m a scientist and chase numbers we know little about when the solution is a good reef salt mix and regular water changes. In my case, I use Fritz RPM.

I change approximately 45 gallons once a month. Between siphoning my sand and replacing the water it takes roughly an hour.

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't right now but I believe I have decent water pressure already, it's just a cheap rodi system since I only have 1 24g tank. In The future when I get a bigger tank I want to make a water mixing station with a better ro unit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back