It's weekend !! Time for a water change. . . Yay or Nay ?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done a water change in over 6 months. I hear a lot of you with the recent price rise on salt which hit my LFS as well.
I started feeding more since I added new coral. Not to worried about nutrient spikes. Last checked Nitrates 2 and phosphate 0.0.

I don’t like water changes but a couple coral are being fussy so I need to do a water change and add more bacteria to cover all angles before anything else

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a CaRx which takes care of Alk & Ca (I dose Mg manually if/when it falls below 1350, which is every 3-6 mos). I don't dose anything else.

Filtration: filter floss (replace every month/two but really used to muffle noise) & skimmer: I use it more for CO2 scrubber and gas exchange. N&P as of 6/30/23: NO3: 20, PO4: 0.10

That's pretty much it -- don't do anything else except cleaning the glass.
To be honest, since dosing the main 3 and elements, I haven't done a water change in over six months. I'm now noticing my sps is starting to color up and sprout out. Humm, just been changing my filter roller, skimmer, carbon, T5 lights and phosphate remover. I did add a bio pellet reactor about 3 months ago and keeping my hands out the tank. Just been cleaning the glass. Maybe I should keep doing the same?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, since dosing the main 3 and elements, I haven't done a water change in over six months. I'm now noticing my sps is starting to color up and sprout out. Humm, just been changing my filter roller, skimmer, carbon, T5 lights and phosphate remover. I did add a bio pellet reactor about 3 months ago and keeping my hands out the tank. Just been cleaning the glass. Maybe I should keep doing the same?
Glad to hear. I do feel that I need to dose minor trace elements but I haven’t done an ICP test.

If things work for you, I don’t see why not! I would test for N&P and keep nutrients flowing though.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From viewing many threads weekly, I have come to notice weekend often means water change as Sunday is Church.
There are various feelings on water changes. Some do it and some don't. Some do it because their water tests or livestock suggest a need to perform this task while others do it because they feel obligated.
I do daily water changes of 2 gallons but in reality. . I hate water changes. So why do I do it- because Ive seen a huge improvement with coral color and growth and also remove nutrients and replenishes traces at the same time. I have a mixing station and should have no problem getting it done but yet procrastinate often. For a few years, I did a change maybe twice a year and corals also did well, minus the growth I get now.
When water changes don't get done, we often overlook a single element such as calcium, mag, alk and even trace elements.
As out tanks mature and corals grow, they consume more and then when they are in trouble, we resort to an ICP test and results say " We're Lazy". . . LOL
In reality, water changes are the most cost effective way to manage coral.

How do you feel about water changes?
Do you do yours on weekends only?
How much time do you spend doing water changes and do you find it annoying but must get done or do you accept it must be done?
What is your method of doing water changes (siphoning, automatic unit (AWC),

1692975164984.png
1692975200842.png
Weekends are for recreation.

A water change once every few months happens during the week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back