It's weekend !! Time for a water change. . . Yay or Nay ?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do them when weather permits.. in other words I haven’t done one in 3 months because when I make water, the water is 95° in my garage the next day.. not gonna invest in a chiller to make saltwater lol.. it’s starting to cool down in Vegas where I can start doing changes again… I can and will say I’ll never have a set schedule.. I change 40 gallons once a month till summer then I have a 3-4 month void.. so that’s about a 12% wc when and if I do them.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work week is Sunday till Wednesday so Wednesday evening is my WC day. I find it's keeping levels up and really only been adding alk as it's depleting daily. But with alot more coral in the system in the past week I'm sure I'll be needing to start dosing more ALK and Cal. Time will tell, and the corals seem to enjoy the WC for now till I start to slowly back off to bi-weekly which will start now.

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test all my parameters on Saturday morning. Then I do a 4 gallon water change on my 10 gallon tank. I'm trying to get my corals a little happier. As an FYI, I microwave a portion of my distilled water to mix in with the rest and get the new batch of saltwater at the right temp. Faster than waiting on a heater. I also clean the power head, the heater, and the filter at the same time. I clean the glass and get it all nice. Takes about 2 - 3 hours. Then on Saturday afternoon, I go to the LFS and buy something.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I haven’t gone to WC Church in more than two years! I just watch my top 3. Recently, I’ve noticed Alk declined due to higher coral consumption (higher pH). It settled down to 7.5 so I increased CO2 slightly and Alk is now within range.

I believe that I need to dose trace elements but things are growing and coloring, so why?

So Nay for me!

IMG_5486.png

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From viewing many threads weekly, I have come to notice weekend often means water change as Sunday is Church.
There are various feelings on water changes. Some do it and some don't. Some do it because their water tests or livestock suggest a need to perform this task while others do it because they feel obligated.
I do daily water changes of 2 gallons but in reality. . I hate water changes. So why do I do it- because Ive seen a huge improvement with coral color and growth and also remove nutrients and replenishes traces at the same time. I have a mixing station and should have no problem getting it done but yet procrastinate often. For a few years, I did a change maybe twice a year and corals also did well, minus the growth I get now.
When water changes don't get done, we often overlook a single element such as calcium, mag, alk and even trace elements.
As out tanks mature and corals grow, they consume more and then when they are in trouble, we resort to an ICP test and results say " We're Lazy". . . LOL
In reality, water changes are the most cost effective way to manage coral.

How do you feel about water changes?
Do you do yours on weekends only?
How much time do you spend doing water changes and do you find it annoying but must get done or do you accept it must be done?
What is your method of doing water changes (siphoning, automatic unit (AWC),

1692975164984.png
1692975200842.png
I do mine on weekends. Generally mix from the mixing station friday or saturday and finish on sunday I have a RSR 350 and do 15-20 gallons every 2-3 weeks. I believe the corals look better, and I generally suction the sand bed looking for pockets of detritus.
I find the process therapeutic. My mixing station is in my basement and I pump the newly mixed salt water into my sump with a cordless remote. Time to mix, plus its raining here.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always sounds like a good idea but I'm three years in with no water change. Probably not on the docket this weekend.
My previous tank ran 6+ years w/o a single WC as well. I’m planning to do the same with the current tanks. I’m not getting any spiritual enlightenment anyway so why go to church? lol

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosing for coral healthy and good filtration?
I run a CaRx which takes care of Alk & Ca (I dose Mg manually if/when it falls below 1350, which is every 3-6 mos). I don't dose anything else.

Filtration: filter floss (replace every month/two but really used to muffle noise) & skimmer: I use it more for CO2 scrubber and gas exchange. N&P as of 6/30/23: NO3: 20, PO4: 0.10

That's pretty much it -- don't do anything else except cleaning the glass.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in water changes, and change around 3 gallons every day with an AWC system for my 130 gallon system. It's just shy of 20% weekly. I test twice a week and dose accordingly to keep stable levels. My daily consumption isn't enough to dose daily at this point but once it reaches that level, I will swap to dosing daily based on consumption and still test twice a week.

I use reef diapers, and they need to be changed every threeish days and test alongside that maintenance. My AWC also has an ATO, and find myself filling the reservoir every other day this summer (we've been above 100 for nearly two months save for a couple of days of a cool front where it got down to 95 for two days) but that goes down significantly when my AC can keep the house under 80.

I will say the AWC system has been a life saver. I was diagnosed with a neurological disease earlier this year and physically can't haul water anymore. My small displays at the office just got the upgrade as well, and my tiny freshwater tank I just take 16 oz out every other day and let the ato replenish it. Despite having low tds faucet water, part of the tds is copper, so I use RODI on all of my tanks and remineralize the freshwater with catappa leaf extract, and supplements for the plants and the dwarf shrimps/crawfish.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do very aggressive water changes.....Monday through Wednesday gets about 4 gallons a day via AWC and Thursday gets another 15 gallons through a manual water change (gives me a chance to remove detritus, clean powerheads, clean glass, etc.). This is in a 105g DT.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy doing water changes, weird I know, it leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment. 4 gallons every Sunday religiously. A deep clean the last Sunday of the month. I give it an hour or two and sit back and look at everything never looking better!

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly 5g water changes on my 40g AIO and my 120g system a gets 20g water change weekly.

The 120g system is only a month and a half old, so I'll be sticking to regular WCs until it's more established. Maybe I'll eventually go biweekly.

The 40g is 2.5 years old. It's relatively easy to change 5g of water, so I'll keep doing that weekly. I don't get good growth in this tank for whatever reason, sadly.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From viewing many threads weekly, I have come to notice weekend often means water change as Sunday is Church.
There are various feelings on water changes. Some do it and some don't. Some do it because their water tests or livestock suggest a need to perform this task while others do it because they feel obligated.
I do daily water changes of 2 gallons but in reality. . I hate water changes. So why do I do it- because Ive seen a huge improvement with coral color and growth and also remove nutrients and replenishes traces at the same time. I have a mixing station and should have no problem getting it done but yet procrastinate often. For a few years, I did a change maybe twice a year and corals also did well, minus the growth I get now.
When water changes don't get done, we often overlook a single element such as calcium, mag, alk and even trace elements.
As out tanks mature and corals grow, they consume more and then when they are in trouble, we resort to an ICP test and results say " We're Lazy". . . LOL
In reality, water changes are the most cost effective way to manage coral.
How do you feel about water changes?
Do you do yours on weekends only?
How much time do you spend doing water changes and do you find it annoying but must get done or do you accept it must be done?
What is your method of doing water changes (siphoning, automatic unit (AWC),
1692975164984.png
1692975200842.png

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about 20% water change on both my nano tanks weekly. Usually on a Friday when I work from home. I will also test the morning of and the day after. Use the lower water level to brush gha or remove pests, currently working on siphoning out pandora zoas.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back