Jackson's Old School 200 IM Nuvo Ext

How are you liking the IM tank after this long with it?
I doubt you remember me from RC, but I know you've had several different iterations of tanks and been around several different manufacturers of tanks. I've only seen the smaller IM tanks, none of the larger ones, so I am curious about your longer term take on these aquariums?
 
How are you liking the IM tank after this long with it?
I doubt you remember me from RC, but I know you've had several different iterations of tanks and been around several different manufacturers of tanks. I've only seen the smaller IM tanks, none of the larger ones, so I am curious about your longer term take on these aquariums?

I remember this profile pic and “maxreefer” from RC, I’m assuming that’s you 😀 the old days….

This 200g IM tank has been great honestly. I think it’s great value when you consider alternatives of this size. It holds water lol and looks beautiful. Negatives would be that the glass scratches easily, and the generation of sump that I have only accommodates filter socks which I don’t use mechanical filtration much anyway.
Not really a negative but something to consider is the weight. This is the toughest 6’ tank that I ever had to move. With the 3/4” glass the dry weight is 460lbs I think. I moved my buddies 8’ glass cages tank with ease compared to this one. If stairs are involved, you need some powerlifters or something.
 
That's me...LOL.
Glad to hear it's not something you regret. I've been tankless for a bit for a variety of reasons, but definitely will be coming back to it in a few years. I'm really just too busy to give it the time it requires at the moment.
However, I'm always researching and looking for new information.
Tank makers is one of them since you cannot order an Oceanic Reef Ready tank anymore. Oh well, life moves on!

I really like what you're doing here and the use of MH's is something I like to see.

Keep on posting up the eye candy and showing how it's done man...I'm really enjoying it.
 
That's me...LOL.
Glad to hear it's not something you regret. I've been tankless for a bit for a variety of reasons, but definitely will be coming back to it in a few years. I'm really just too busy to give it the time it requires at the moment.
However, I'm always researching and looking for new information.
Tank makers is one of them since you cannot order an Oceanic Reef Ready tank anymore. Oh well, life moves on!

I really like what you're doing here and the use of MH's is something I like to see.

Keep on posting up the eye candy and showing how it's done man...I'm really enjoying it.

When you’re ready to come back, we’ll be here to help you weed through all the BS lol. Man, I was overwhelmed a couple of years ago coming back after a 4 year break.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping up a little bit on the forums.
This way, when I get back into things, it won't be as big a shock to get caught up.

Well, that's the plan anyway.
And we all know what a plan is in this hobby...
 
Love your reef!

Curious if your algae scrubber is still able to keep N&P under control?
 
Love your reef!

Curious if your algae scrubber is still able to keep N&P under control

Thank you! I ended up removing the scrubber from the system back in the summer. It was actually too effective, bottoming out my nutrients and fading sps colors.

These days with the coral mass from the display and plumbed in growout tank, the growth seems to suck up
Most of the nutrients. Nitrates have been running 2-5 ppm, phosphate can still
Creep up but I run gfo to keep it like .08-.12

I was due for an update so I’ll add some pics

IMG_9716.jpeg
IMG_9720.jpeg
IMG_9669.jpeg
IMG_9509.jpeg
IMG_9486.jpeg
IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg
 
Thank you! I ended up removing the scrubber from the system back in the summer. It was actually too effective, bottoming out my nutrients and fading sps colors.

These days with the coral mass from the display and plumbed in growout tank, the growth seems to suck up
Most of the nutrients. Nitrates have been running 2-5 ppm, phosphate can still
Creep up but I run gfo to keep it like .08-.12

I was due for an update so I’ll add some pics

IMG_9716.jpeg
IMG_9720.jpeg
IMG_9669.jpeg
IMG_9509.jpeg
IMG_9486.jpeg
IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg
Your corals are looking amazing!
 
Your corals are looking amazing!
Thank you! Much has changed and is changing. The tank is becoming overgrown so I have been removing large colonies from the display. I am in the process of switching over the lighting to LED (with a single halide over purple monster), and will be showcasing all of the collector pieces that are in my frag tanks.


It’s a tank reset basically, but will be going for a different look with really nice corals that I’ve been growing under radions. I’ll post some destruction
pics when I get it all done lol.

One more major change is that I changed both of the systems over to modern reef. No more Kalkwasser or trace dosing. Their 4 part has all of it inside + organics and a carbon source. Their foods are awesome. My polyp extension has gone silly, and I’m happy to simplify it all. Same high PH as Kalkwasser but no kalkwasser precipitation/detritus.

IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg
IMG_0755.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0796.jpeg


IMG_0736.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Thank you! I ended up removing the scrubber from the system back in the summer. It was actually too effective, bottoming out my nutrients and fading sps colors.

These days with the coral mass from the display and plumbed in growout tank, the growth seems to suck up
Most of the nutrients. Nitrates have been running 2-5 ppm, phosphate can still
Creep up but I run gfo to keep it like .08-.12

I was due for an update so I’ll add some pics

IMG_9716.jpeg
IMG_9720.jpeg
IMG_9669.jpeg
IMG_9509.jpeg
IMG_9486.jpeg
IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg
One of the nicest acro tanks around! Beautiful.
 
You as well. I'm getting back in. Hopefully I get my tank sometime next month. You always grow some beautiful corals. wow you have the "Purple Monster"...


A little overwhelming with all new equipment and marketing traps when you get back in. If I can help, don’t hesitate to reach out.

The Tyree PM is almost gone from the hobby at this point. Long drive and a hotel room to get this frag over the summer. Way different than the past.
 
A little overwhelming with all new equipment and marketing traps when you get back in. If I can help, don’t hesitate to reach out.

The Tyree PM is almost gone from the hobby at this point. Long drive and a hotel room to get this frag over the summer. Way different than the past.
I will Definitely hit you up for some of your knowledge. That's crazy that the purple monster is gone from the hobby. It was a very sought after coral back then.. I'm pretty sure it will flourish in your hands.
 
Last edited:
It's looking great!

How does Modern Reef compare (cost wise) to running the Kalk plus Trace dosing you were doing before?
I know Kalk is inexpensive, and this is not a cheap hobby, but I'm curious about the general approximation of cost for simplicity? I was unaware that Modern Reef existed until you posted about it. I'm still in the process of reading up on it, but it seems to be a good system.

Simplification is a huge part of this hobby as there is so much going on that unless you pay someone to monitor larger systems such as yours, or chain yourself to the tank so you can monitor it personally.
We all know that if something is easier to do, it is more likely to get done. Having a simple dosing/trace element system means hobbyists are not tethered to their tanks 24/7 and able to have a life outside of the hobby.

The Purple Monster is looking happy and healthy. It has always been one of my grail pieces...
 
It's looking great!

How does Modern Reef compare (cost wise) to running the Kalk plus Trace dosing you were doing before?
I know Kalk is inexpensive, and this is not a cheap hobby, but I'm curious about the general approximation of cost for simplicity? I was unaware that Modern Reef existed until you posted about it. I'm still in the process of reading up on it, but it seems to be a good system.

Simplification is a huge part of this hobby as there is so much going on that unless you pay someone to monitor larger systems such as yours, or chain yourself to the tank so you can monitor it personally.
We all know that if something is easier to do, it is more likely to get done. Having a simple dosing/trace element system means hobbyists are not tethered to their tanks 24/7 and able to have a life outside of the hobby.

The Purple Monster is looking happy and healthy. It has always been one of my grail pieces...

Thanks bud. I hope one day I can grow a colony of that PM, then a backup colony, then start to get it out there again. I can’t find anyone with it anymore.

The Modern Reef Program seems to be economical for what it supplies.

Previously

Daily: 3 gallons Kalkwasser, 200ml all for reef, 40ml esv magnesium, moonshine dailys, 3ml TM Bacto balance, various foods and aminos etc. in addition, monthly ICP corrections for parameters far out of place. I’m ok with a little deficiency as long as available in water lol.

Currently

Daily: 85ml each 4 part (broken into 24 daily doses), 3.5ml complete food, 6ml polyp pop. I recently started adding 8 drops of their “Elixir” but that’s not a necessary product I am changing salt to modern reef as well since aquaforest raised their prices and it’s very deficient in many trace anyway. I’ll be able to comment on this programs ability to hold
Trace levels better in time after using their salt for several water changes and continuing to dose longer.

Since starting I have noticed a substantial increase in polyps, more growth and colored tips, increase in anything red or orange for some reason, clear water-ozone like, a decrease in brown diatom/algae on sand, way less detritus not using Kalkwasser while keeping the same high ph (actually hitting like .06 higher). Nothing negative to report at the moment.


So at my current rate dosing a heavily stocked and fast growing 300g system;

Modern Reef 4 part and required foods runs me about $135 per month. The way I was doing it with kalk, all for reef, mg, carbon source, foods, and trace…. I don’t even think it was cheaper. Certainly wasn’t easier. I was burning out lol.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new