Jager's Evo 13.5 Reef tank

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new reagent from redsea and realized my alkalinity is really low. Kinda freaking out on what to do about it. Has anyone dealt with this problem and tried baking soda?

SmartSelectImage_2017-07-14-21-19-27.png
Here's my suggestion. Double check your test...with another test kit from another vendor if possible. Don't freak out and jump into first option u get. I would not suggest the generic buffer as it will affect your water chemistry more than just Alk.

Since you are using Red Sea. Try the Alkalinity Solution to bring ur All back up. If are planning to do a walk change anyway...use a good reef salt if have not already been using it. This will ensure a more stable method imo. Plus it'll also bring ur other parameters in line with everything else. HWMarinemix is a good option.

whatever option u decide....go gradually so it doesn't shock ur system.

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my suggestion. Double check your test...with another test kit from another vendor if possible. Don't freak out and jump into first option u get. I would not suggest the generic buffer as it will affect your water chemistry more than just Alk.

Since you are using Red Sea. Try the Alkalinity Solution to bring ur All back up. If are planning to do a walk change anyway...use a good reef salt if have not already been using it. This will ensure a more stable method imo. Plus it'll also bring ur other parameters in line with everything else. HWMarinemix is a good option.

whatever option u decide....go gradually so it doesn't shock ur system.

Thanks RC, I pretty much came to the same conclusion this morning. I woke up and decided to have my LFS test everything to see if I was correct or not. This is what parameters they got:
SmartSelectImage_2017-07-15-15-46-41.png

They didn't seem too concerned about the alkalinity at 5.6 dkh. I was told to just keep an eye on the livestock and see if they show signs of a problem. They also told me that if I decide to raise the alkalinity to just do a few small water changes over the course of a few days to slowly raise it.

Hanna checkers were used for alkalinity and phosphates. And Salifert test kits were used for everything else.

I use the redsea test kits for ph, alk, ammonia, Nitrate and nitrates. And salifert test kits for calcium and magnesium. I am considering changing my alkalinity test kit to salifert or hanna.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... I am considering changing my alkalinity test kit to salifert or hanna.

If you are able to handle the investment and refill cost consider Hanna Alkalinity checker (Alkalinity PPM Colorimeter HI755 Hanna Checker - Marine Water on BRS). Will save you headache trying to figure out the exact reading. You can then use your existing ALK test kit as backup. If you do choose to go this route, consider buying extra solution as backup. I check my ALK very often so the solution runs out fast.

You may also want to consider adding kalwasser to your ATO will also help keep your ALK in check and stable.

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to handle the investment and refill cost consider Hanna Alkalinity checker (Alkalinity PPM Colorimeter HI755 Hanna Checker - Marine Water on BRS). Will save you headache trying to figure out the exact reading. You can then use your existing ALK test kit as backup. If you do choose to go this route, consider buying extra solution as backup. I check my ALK very often so the solution runs out fast.

You may also want to consider adding kalwasser to your ATO will also help keep your ALK in check and stable.

How come you chose the ppm version versus the dkh one?

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant dkh...I just quickly did look up and copy n paste

whatever is for marine testing

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to purchase the Hanna alkalinity checker.

I also have the intank 2nd chamber media basket arriving today with Purigen, chemi pure blue and poly filter pad floss.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to purchase the Hanna alkalinity checker.

I also have the intank 2nd chamber media basket arriving today with Purigen, chemi pure blue and poly filter pad floss.

Definitely worth the investment imo to keep your corals happy.

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do a few 10% water changes over a few days to correct the alkalinity level.

Yesterday I installed the intank 2nd chamber media basket. I did Purigen on top, chemi pure blue in the middle and poly filter floss on the bottom.

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting that media basket for the second compartment also. The sponge that came with it is it worth still keeping and using that instead of the filter floss at the bottom?

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting that media basket for the second compartment also. The sponge that came with it is it worth still keeping and using that instead of the filter floss at the bottom?
Not sure to be honest. I can say that a lot of people use filter floss though.
20170718_205642.jpg

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium note isn't available for apple ☹️ Is there something for mobile that you would recommend

Last edited:

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I found that but it cost $10 when the aquarium note is free for android.

OP
OP
jaegers_reef

jaegers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the Hanna alkalinity checker in and am very impressed by its ease of use. I did a a gal water change last night also and I guess it has increased the alkalinity cause I am up to a 6.8dkh now from a 5.6dkh.
SmartSelectImage_2017-07-20-20-14-15.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back