Jakes 30 Gallon IM L build!

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone im building an IM 30 Long tank! very excited to get started.

Looking for some advice on stocking and sump media advice.

currently i'm running two Ai Prime HD.

In the far right chamber im going to run filter floss, carbon, and what should be the third one?

In the second chamber from the left it is currently empty.... what should i put in there?

In the chamber in the far right in their GFO/Carbon reactor, for right now since the tank is newish im just going to run carbon. Also im not so sure how this thing works and when to use gfo/bio.

Then in the last chamber, 1 in from the right is a tunze protein skimmer.

How does someone run a refugium in the middle biggest chamber?

Finally i have 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp and pistol shrimp. what else could be a good addition?

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jake DiMeglio congrats on the IM30L! That was my first reef tank that I picked up from a vendor at MACNA in '14. I went through a few different configurations while I had it.

First setup from Left to Right
- Custom caddy (pinkies filters, bio media, carbon)
- Probes
- Skimmer
- Minimax w/bio pellets

Second setup from Left to Right
- Return from CPR2 HOB Fuge (installed on left side of tank)
- Probes
- Skimmer
- Custom caddy (pinkies, bio media, carbon)

I think if I still had the 30L today, I'd like to use a couple of the inTank racks w/floss/chem/bio and then maybe dual fuge's in the inner chambers...or maybe a fuge in one and then the Aquamaxx HOB skimmer...I did like having the CPR2 HOB fuge installed on the side as a mini "Display Fuge"...fit just right.

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like my caddy is on the way. i will be running carbon/gfo/bio balls, tunze skimmer, biopellets in the IM reactor and one chamber just filled with smaller pieces of life rock.

Colinadam80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the same tank!

For stocking I would suggest a small Wrasse. I have a yellow corris but any of the flasher Wrasse would give the tank some color and movement.

Can't wait to see what you do in the future

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the same tank!

For stocking I would suggest a small Wrasse. I have a yellow corris but any of the flasher Wrasse would give the tank some color and movement.

Can't wait to see what you do in the future

Once I figure out how to post pics here I’ll upload some.

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side shot of the clowns!

4429BA7B-72E2-43D5-8F28-277BE3AC252B.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going use the drop in UV Sterilizer, how do i use it? how many hours a day?

Looking for all help regarding it.

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, i received the tunze skimmer and to my surprise it does not fit in the left chamber facing front to back, you have to put it in sideways. doesn't seem to big a big problem.

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lastnight was able to instal bio pellet reactor.

So from left to right we have:
Tunze skimmer
IM midsize reactor with biopellets
small broken up live rock filling the middle larger chamber
Heater
Midsize caddy with Floss on top/carbon in middle/gfo on bottom.

My next move is moving the heater to the middle chamber (just need a different one for size).
Then i am going to add another reactor with GFO.

Tank is about 3 months old so i am also thinking of adding an anemones or 2 or 3 soon!!!

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update, i received the tunze skimmer and to my surprise it does not fit in the left chamber facing front to back, you have to put it in sideways. doesn't seem to big a big problem.
Ran into this exact same issue. Ended up listing the tunze for sale and bought a used midsize nuvoskim DC for a steal. Those skimmers do fit the second from left, and right, chambers.

While I just have cycled rock in it currently, I will be transferring all my livestock from my evo 13.5 after I move in 2 weeks. I have two hydra 26HD’s over it.

From left to right I’m running:
1) media caddy
2) skimmer
3) return pump
4) probes and heater
5) filter sock(will probably ditch this for reactor)

I’m going to forgo a fuge and instead run a DIY chaeto reactor with a phosban 150 and strip lights.

Since the footprint of the tank is long, you should definitely look into wrasses. I have a possum wrasse in the evo and it is one of my favorite fish. It has such a curious personality and associates me with food now lol.

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second a coris wrasse. I have one in my 40 and he’s my absolute favorite. They can be jumpers so make sure you got an appropriate size screen lid. My first one squeezed through a hole in my screen i didn’t think was possible.

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second a coris wrasse. I have one in my 40 and he’s my absolute favorite. They can be jumpers so make sure you got an appropriate size screen lid. My first one squeezed through a hole in my screen i didn’t think was possible.

Im currently looking for a lid and having no luck! what do you recomend

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into this exact same issue. Ended up listing the tunze for sale and bought a used midsize nuvoskim DC for a steal. Those skimmers do fit the second from left, and right, chambers.

While I just have cycled rock in it currently, I will be transferring all my livestock from my evo 13.5 after I move in 2 weeks. I have two hydra 26HD’s over it.

From left to right I’m running:
1) media caddy
2) skimmer
3) return pump
4) probes and heater
5) filter sock(will probably ditch this for reactor)

I’m going to forgo a fuge and instead run a DIY chaeto reactor with a phosban 150 and strip lights.

Since the footprint of the tank is long, you should definitely look into wrasses. I have a possum wrasse in the evo and it is one of my favorite fish. It has such a curious personality and associates me with food now lol.

I am wondering if it was possible to run a fuge with chaeto. still wondering how that would work

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have some updates. the tank now has AI HD prime and 3 fresh BTA, the clowns havnt found them just yet but hopefully they dont wait months

OP
OP
J

Jake DiMeglio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns surprisingly found the 3 BTA's in less then 12 hours! the AI prime looks amazing with the shorter tank, the skimmer is perfect.

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding the coris wrasse can get pretty big. How long have you had him and how big is he now. I just think he might be a bit large for a 30G inovative marine tank. What's your thoughts?

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jake DiMeglio congrats on the IM30L! That was my first reef tank that I picked up from a vendor at MACNA in '14. I went through a few different configurations while I had it.

First setup from Left to Right
- Custom caddy (pinkies filters, bio media, carbon)
- Probes
- Skimmer
- Minimax w/bio pellets

Second setup from Left to Right
- Return from CPR2 HOB Fuge (installed on left side of tank)
- Probes
- Skimmer
- Custom caddy (pinkies, bio media, carbon)

I think if I still had the 30L today, I'd like to use a couple of the inTank racks w/floss/chem/bio and then maybe dual fuge's in the inner chambers...or maybe a fuge in one and then the Aquamaxx HOB skimmer...I did like having the CPR2 HOB fuge installed on the side as a mini "Display Fuge"...fit just right.
I am having a hard time seeing how to run the cpr2 fuge return into the far left column. is the water flowing into the main display or into the back chamber? More description would be a huge help I want to run a fuge in this tank desperately.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back