OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I kinda forgot about this tread. Oops. Probably because leopard wrasses are not that difficult after the initial acclamation and I really didn't have much to report. One thing I highly recommend if people are going to qt this wrasse would be get the tank cycled and add chaeto algae. This keeps nutrients down and reduces the need to wc that might stress out the fish. 2-3 weeks no wc and nitrates at 10

I'm at school right now so when I get home I'll post some pics of them eating.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Lol. I kinda forgot about this tread. Oops. Probably because leopard wrasses are not that difficult after the initial acclamation and I really didn't have much to report. One thing I highly recommend if people are going to qt this wrasse would be get the tank cycled and add chaeto algae. This keeps nutrients down and reduces the need to wc that might stress out the fish. 2-3 weeks no wc and nitrates at 10

I'm at school right now so when I get home I'll post some pics of them eating.
Sounds good. Gonna be waiting anxiously for the pics.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad quality. Phone cameras arnt really that good.
20181129_172655.jpg
20181129_172652.jpg

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry for the bad quality. Phone cameras arnt really that good.
20181129_172655.jpg
20181129_172652.jpg
Beautiful. I only have a leopard. Always wanted the blue star but currently pushing my limits for livestock in my DT. Good luck with the 2!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a trio of blue star leopard wrasses from LiveAquaria last Friday for delivery on Saturday. No issues on the delivery but knowing how sensitive these are I opted to go straight in to the display (300 gallon reef, 1.5 years old with a good pod population). They went straight into the sand. For 3 days i saw nothing. On the fourth day the larger female came out for an hour before the lights went out. The next day she came out again, about an hour earlier and was actively hunting on the rocks. About 30 minutes before the lights went out, the smaller female came out for only 10 minutes and then dove back into the sand. Last night, the larger female was out when I got home about 7 pm and the male was swimming with her. They both stayed out actively hunting until the lights went out. I haven't seen the smaller female again but since she came out before but I have hope that she is OK and will be out with the other 2 this evening. Interestingly, when they have been out, a couple of the other inhabitants have attempted to bully them, but they just turn and look at their antagonizer and they go about their business. They are very laid back and don't seem to bully easily, at least from minor aggression.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a trio of blue star leopard wrasses from LiveAquaria last Friday for delivery on Saturday. No issues on the delivery but knowing how sensitive these are I opted to go straight in to the display (300 gallon reef, 1.5 years old with a good pod population). They went straight into the sand. For 3 days i saw nothing. On the fourth day the larger female came out for an hour before the lights went out. The next day she came out again, about an hour earlier and was actively hunting on the rocks. About 30 minutes before the lights went out, the smaller female came out for only 10 minutes and then dove back into the sand. Last night, the larger female was out when I got home about 7 pm and the male was swimming with her. They both stayed out actively hunting until the lights went out. I haven't seen the smaller female again but since she came out before but I have hope that she is OK and will be out with the other 2 this evening. Interestingly, when they have been out, a couple of the other inhabitants have attempted to bully them, but they just turn and look at their antagonizer and they go about their business. They are very laid back and don't seem to bully easily, at least from minor aggression.

Good luck. Imo, I wouldn't put any fish straight into the DT. They may have a higher chance of survival but I can not risk infecting my other fish. My qt set up for the wrasse has all the benefits of a DT and more (cycled, pods, low salinity, disease free).

On the topic of qt. I'm feeding my wrasse metro/focus soaked food. I will continue to do this for 2 weeks so any internal worms die. Then within a week or two I will also give prazipro. Wrasses are sensitive to this so I will need to be careful. I don't think I will need to do copper since I see no external parasite on them.

Good luck and Happy Reefing Everyone.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Imo, I wouldn't put any fish straight into the DT. They may have a higher chance of survival but I can not risk infecting my other fish. My qt set up for the wrasse has all the benefits of a DT and more (cycled, pods, low salinity, disease free).

On the topic of qt. I'm feeding my wrasse metro/focus soaked food. I will continue to do this for 2 weeks so any internal worms die. Then within a week or two I will also give prazipro. Wrasses are sensitive to this so I will need to be careful. I don't think I will need to do copper since I see no external parasite on them.

Good luck and Happy Reefing Everyone.

They have a pretty thick mucus coat. Rarely would you see evidence of them harboring a parasite externally even though they could have them in their gills.

I keep several leopards. 5 species of the genus. All of mine went through copper without a hitch.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back