Japanese Swallowtail or Pyramid Butterfly in 112 gallon tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I think I’m a victim of the Google search algorithms haha. The one I’ve been most interested in is I believe a Female G. melanospilos. Mainly to do with the brightness of the yellow dorsally and the teal hue to the anal and caudal fins.

Which of the 2 is the pricey one? The male of the G. semifasciatus is stunning for sure. But for the female I think I prefer the G. melanospilos.
The pricier one is the semifasciatus, I personally would love a male of that species and a female of the melanospilos.
The brightness of the yellow IME, isn’t actually that bright and the blue tint is only properly seen in a certain light.
This was my reverted male Melanospilos (I have thought he was potentially a hybrid as he never reverted any further). The blue and yellow on him was rather dull and females I’ve found don’t look like the photo with how bright they are.
IMG_0604.jpeg

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate all the replies!

I think my biggest hindrance has been that most sites have the minimum tank size at 125 gal, which is 6'x2'x18". So a lot more swimming space (at least length wise) whereas I've only got 3'. But it sounds like either could work perhaps?

These are some older photos of when the tank was first set up back in June, but gives you guys an idea of what the rockscape is like.

reef1.jpg

reef2.jpg

reef3.jpg

And here's a video walkaround:

Off topic, but are those no 40’s or 60’s on the back wall? Asking because I can’t get 40’s to stick on the same tank due to the black acrylic they use on the back wall making the overall thicker.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my reverted male Melanospilos (I have thought he was potentially a hybrid as he never reverted any further). The blue and yellow on him was rather dull
IMG_0604.jpeg
I’ve had a couple of genicanthus angels be ‘forced’ to revert back by more dominant males, and their colors &/or stripes are never exactly what they used to be!

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watanabei. I’d say pair just to keep the male from transitioning. Had a pair of swallows. Female didn’t make the trip. Male did fine and was stunning but by the time I found another healthy female he started to transition. And then came the velvet outbreak which devastated the stock.
I second Watanabei, although I have had terrible luck with them. I received two females about a year ago. One died in QT. I quickly got another who also died...I am having trouble remembering the exact sequence, but after that second death, I was done. Tired of watching money float away like that. But by the beginning of fall this year, I was ready to pair up my one and only remaining Watanabei. I got one from an online QT vendor. She looked healthy but had a couple of lymphocystis spots on her that only got worse. She was never part of the crowd either so that stress may have had an impact...she wanted to be part of the crowd though. They have great personalities. She eventually looked pretty terrible, and I was hoping she would fight it off. But she died this week. I think I am really done and will give up on having a male and female Watanabei.
Now looking at a Candy Basslet, and flame angel (maybe)

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 3’x3’ tank diagonally is actually a lot of swim room, also aren’t on about Genicanthus semifasciatus or Genicanthus melanospilos as both are known as Swallowtail Angels but one is mostly from Indonesia (melanospilos) and the other is mostly found around Japan and south to the Philippines (semifasciatus).

I have a feeling you mean Semifasciatus as you said ‘Japanese Swallowtail’ whilst the Melanospilos is most commonly known as a Spotbreast Angelfish and not called a Swallowtail often - likely due to the confusion seen above. Both are similar in care however one is considerably more pricey.
Here’s a comparison of the two (none of these are my photos);

Female G. semifasciatus
IMG_7908.jpeg

Male G. semifasciatus
IMG_7907.jpeg

Female G. melanospilos
IMG_7910.jpeg

Male G. melanospilos
IMG_7911.jpeg
I did reply to this w the watanabei. Beautiful but not the swallowtail. Such a beautiful fish. Got confused on the OP. I did own the bottom as posted by @i cant think the G melanospilos.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Off topic, but are those no 40’s or 60’s on the back wall? Asking because I can’t get 40’s to stick on the same tank due to the black acrylic they use on the back wall making the overall thicker.
MP40's. I haven't had that problem. Do you have an IM EXT or INT?

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so here's a crazy thought... me pushing the boundaries of the original question a bit hehe. Is the idea of getting a G. Melanospilos AND a Pyramid Butterfly in a tank this size one step too far? I imagine this would eliminate the possibility of a mated angelfish pair or multiple butterflyfish, but curious to hear your thoughts.

Rybki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey, the thread title says it all. Would either of these fish do well in a 112g tank? The dimensions are 36x36x20.
Hi
I have two pyramids and two swallowtails in 190 for two years and both kinds doing well. Pyramid grows faster and bigger at this point. I didn’t observe any coral nipping from butterflies they are only one butterfly reef safe but one is more aggressive towards another. I don’t think there is way to tell sex difference. Watch for their mouth if damaged don’t purchase. Japanese swallowtails are great I have two females and hopefully one will change. Both kinds are very active swimmers all over aquarium. Definitely need upgrades after reaching 5 inches.
Colors are great especially white butterflies but depending on lighting. Both show great in white light not so much in blues.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi
I have two pyramids and two swallowtails in 190 for two years and both kinds doing well. Pyramid grows faster and bigger at this point. I didn’t observe any coral nipping from butterflies they are only one butterfly reef safe but one is more aggressive towards another. I don’t think there is way to tell sex difference. Watch for their mouth if damaged don’t purchase. Japanese swallowtails are great I have two females and hopefully one will change. Both kinds are very active swimmers all over aquarium. Definitely need upgrades after reaching 5 inches.
Colors are great especially white butterflies but depending on lighting. Both show great in white light not so much in blues.
Awesome to hear. Yep both seem to look better in whiter light it seems.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the idea of having both a Swallowtail Angelfish (C. Melanospilos) and a Pyamid Butterfly in a 3’x3’ 112 gallon? Doable?
Doable… yes, but a 3’ tank may be too small for the angels that like to swim. Even in my 500g 6’x5’ tank, my genicanthus angels do ‘laps’ around the tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back