OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not updating in a while. I was on vacation at a lake. I did not find any ghost shrimp but I caught a frog a skink a bluegill fish and a sun fish. Both fish were too small for eating.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for not updating in a while. I was on vacation at a lake. I did not find any ghost shrimp but I caught a frog a skink a bluegill fish and a sun fish. Both fish were too small for eating.

I have kept bluegills from small juveniles to full size (about 8 inches). They are a type of sunfish so I’m not sure what the other fish is. What are your plans for them or did you release them?

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept bluegills from small juveniles to full size (about 8 inches). They are a type of sunfish so I’m not sure what the other fish is. What are your plans for them or did you release them?
I am not that much of a fish expert the fish looked like these.
1565376803013.png
1565376888638.png
My plan was dinner. Neither were big enough so they were released after we kept it in a bucket of water for some time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not that much of a fish expert the fish looked like these.
1565376803013.png
1565376888638.png
My plan was dinner. Neither were big enough so they were released after we kept it in a bucket of water for some time.

The second image in post #83 appears to be a bluegill and I believe the other is a dollar sunfish, Lepomis marginatus.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok do you go fishing often?

Yes, but not necessarily in the traditional sense. I am out regularly, but usually with a dipnet and occasionally microfishing or with a seine for the purpose collecting and researching fresh, brackish, and saltwater native fishes from a learning and conservation perspective.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but not necessarily in the traditional sense. I am out regularly, but usually with a dipnet and occasionally microfishing or with a seine for the purpose collecting and researching fresh, brackish, and saltwater native fishes from a learning and conservation perspective.
I have never gone microfishing what is that?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure anyone who charged you for aiptasia could justify that, were they charging for the base rock it was on

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neat. I sort of skimmed through it but from what I hear your trying to get the smallest fish. And is it just fly fishing or regular as well?

Another way to describe it is high end cane pole fishing for really small fish. Most people are trying to catch 1”-3” fish with their micro fishing gear. My goal is to catch a 3/4” least killifish (Heterandria formosa).

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure anyone who charged you for aiptasia could justify that, were they charging for the base rock it was on
No it was a tiny rock I believe the conversation went like this.
Me "Are those aiptasia?"
Store persone "Yes I believe so."
Me "Could I bye that rock of aiptasia"
Store persone "Sure we do not usually sell that specimen here so we will just have you donate two dollars to the store"

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. No intention to be sarcastic here. It seems like some of you here are trying to cultivate a micro tank with the worst of unwanted stuff in a jar to see what happens and how long you can get away with keeping all of them alive. Short of creating a "Pandora's Jar"?

Interesting concept. I might start one myself. I have all of the before mentioned stuff in my DT (not that I want any one them in there). Bristle worms is a specialty in my tanks. They grow so big without me finding them.

Have you tried to add some flat worms? They love my Zoa/Paly. I had no clue how to get rid of them until recently trying to dip the Zoa/Paly I have the was very infested with it and starting to spread to my other corals. Now they are all over the back wall of my 55g after having combined my 35g with the 55g thru a common sump / refugium. ( Any suggestion how to get rid of them when they are stuck to the tank, and not a coral that you can take out and dip). They did not seem to cause any harm to my corals, so I let them be beside not knowing how to get rid of them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. No intention to be sarcastic here. It seems like some of you here are trying to cultivate a micro tank with the worst of unwanted stuff in a jar to see what happens and how long you can get away with keeping all of them alive. Short of creating a "Pandora's Jar"?

Interesting concept. I might start one myself. I have all of the before mentioned stuff in my DT (not that I want any one them in there). Bristle worms is a specialty in my tanks. They grow so big without me finding them.

Have you tried to add some flat worms? They love my Zoa/Paly. I had no clue how to get rid of them until recently trying to dip the Zoa/Paly I have the was very infested with it and starting to spread to my other corals. Now they are all over the back wall of my 55g after having combined my 35g with the 55g thru a common sump / refugium. ( Any suggestion how to get rid of them when they are stuck to the tank, and not a coral that you can take out and dip). They did not seem to cause any harm to my corals, so I let them be beside not knowing how to get rid of them. :rolleyes:
I know my arrow crab takes care of my bristle worm. I think he also takes care of the flatworms because they are in my sump but not the DT.
Also it is kind of a pandora's jar. A collection of the hardest and fowlest critters. They are for more interesting when they are not causing destruction in my DT.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my arrow crab takes care of my bristle worm. I think he also takes care of the flatworms because they are in my sump but not the DT.
Also it is kind of a pandora's jar. A collection of the hardest and fowlest critters. They are for more interesting when they are not causing destruction in my DT.

I will look for an arrow crab for sure.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once kept a reef in a jar for many years. Air pump died while at work and by the time I realized it was to late. Had a deep sand bed and a piece of live rock. Your common hitchhikers pods and bw along with mushrooms and a Kenya tree. No light at all just sat in front of a sunny window. Had a loose lid on it to help with salt creep and evaporation. Mushrooms had to be harvested every 6 months as they would take over the tank otherwise. Only did water changes every month with water from my big by other then that I didn’t touch it.

Great looking tank
Matt

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once kept a reef in a jar for many years. Air pump died while at work and by the time I realized it was to late. Had a deep sand bed and a piece of live rock. Your common hitchhikers pods and bw along with mushrooms and a Kenya tree. No light at all just sat in front of a sunny window. Had a loose lid on it to help with salt creep and evaporation. Mushrooms had to be harvested every 6 months as they would take over the tank otherwise. Only did water changes every month with water from my big by other then that I didn’t touch it.

Great looking tank
Matt
Thanks. I like your idea near a window and a loose lid I might try that.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked great on low light loving mushrooms and Kenya trees. Never thought to add some not so wanted hitchhikers in the jar. Plan on starting another reef in a jar sometime soon so might try that then but wouldn’t want to give away the mushrooms if there was a chance of a not so nice hitchhiker riding along.

Good luck and keep us posted
Matt

Back