Jar Tank

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do they eat and where do I get them?

They're also referred to as glass shrimp, ghost shrimp, or feeder shrimp. They are like most CUC shrimp which eat anything that falls to the bottom and occasionally I add additional Hikari Shrimp Cuisine for a treat and to make sure that they are getting a well rounded diet. They are available as feeders in many LFSs and can be purchased online. They usually cost about $1 for a dozen (or comparable) so if you were to ask for just one they may even give it to you (especially if it is a store that you frequent and you tell them that you are working on an experiment). Personally, I use them as part of the CUC and not as feeders. The ones that I have I collected on the coast.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're also referred to as glass shrimp, ghost shrimp, or feeder shrimp. They are like most CUC shrimp which eat anything that falls to the bottom and occasionally I add additional Hikari Shrimp Cuisine for a treat and to make sure that they are getting a well rounded diet. They are available as feeders in many LFSs and can be purchased online. They usually cost about $1 for a dozen (or comparable) so if you were to ask for just one they may even give it to you (especially if it is a store that you frequent and you tell them that you are working on an experiment). Personally, I use them as part of the CUC and not as feeders. The ones that I have I collected on the coast.
Cool thanks I will look into them.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled them and I am only finding ones that live in freshwater.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I googled them and I am only finding ones that live in freshwater.

The genus Palaemonetes includes a variety of fresh, brackish, saltwater shrimp species that share the common names grass shrimp, glass shrimp, and ghost shrimp.

At $.08 to $.15 each it won’t make sense to order one online but you may be able to find a brackish or saltwater one in the feeder section of a LFS or keep your eyes open on your next beach vacation.

Alternately you could look for another type of active, hardy shrimp.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genus Palaemonetes includes a variety of fresh, brackish, saltwater shrimp species that share the common names grass shrimp, glass shrimp, and ghost shrimp.

At $.08 to $.15 each it won’t make sense to order one online but you may be able to find a brackish or saltwater one in the feeder section of a LFS or keep your eyes open on your next beach vacation.

Alternately you could look for another type of active, hardy shrimp.
My LFS has freshwater ghost shrimp is that what I am looking for?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LFS has freshwater ghost shrimp is that what I am looking for?

They are probably Palaemonetes paludosus they will likely be short lived in saltwater. You will want one of the brackish or saltwater species like Palaemonetes pugio.

The only reason that I focus on this particular type of shrimp is that, in addition to being hardy, their legs are usually moving and can create good action in an otherwise still tank, whereas many other types of shrimp slowly move throughout the tank.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably Palaemonetes paludosus they will likely be short lived in saltwater. You will want one of the brackish or saltwater species like Palaemonetes pugio.

The only reason that I focus on this particular type of shrimp is that, in addition to being hardy, their legs are usually moving and can create good action in an otherwise still tank, whereas many other types of shrimp slowly move throughout the tank.
I will ask them about it next time I go.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea. mini conch snails would be neat in there. They only get .5", and reproduce readily. Asterina starfish would also be great. I also think that japanese blue clove polyps could probably do ok in there. Mini limpets (another aquarium 'pest').

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea. mini conch snails would be neat in there. They only get .5", and reproduce readily. Asterina starfish would also be great. I also think that japanese blue clove polyps could probably do ok in there. Mini limpets (another aquarium 'pest').
collonista snails for clean up crew
Where can I get these thing. I am curious about the japanese blue clove polyps.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many people have the blue cloves in their tanks, and they are available from many dealers. the mini conch can be purhased from indo pacific sea farms. i think many many reefers have asterinas in their tanks. Same with limpets. I think you could probably get all these for free from your local reef club, if you have one.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many people have the blue cloves in their tanks, and they are available from many dealers. the mini conch can be purhased from indo pacific sea farms. i think many many reefers have asterinas in their tanks. Same with limpets. I think you could probably get all these for free from your local reef club, if you have one.
I do not have a local reef club.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those what do they eat were can I get one?

They are tiny little white starfish. There are many types but the majority eat algae films. They are very hardy and can reproduce by ripping their own legs off which then grows into a new starfish.

You should be able to find them from other reefers or maybe in the LFS tanks. They are common hitchhikers.

LsDahlX.jpg

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am headed to the store soon.
Another thing I have not done any water changes yet I have tested the water and all was good.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I went to petco on Saturday and they had an asterina starfish. They did not have the other stuff. Yesterday I had to clear out all the extra chaeto. Their were bristle worms in it so I took a spoon and scooped them out. As soon as the spoon touched them they squeezed themselves into little balls and puffed out their spikes.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I went to petco on Saturday and they had an asterina starfish. They did not have the other stuff. Yesterday I had to clear out all the extra chaeto. Their were bristle worms in it so I took a spoon and scooped them out. As soon as the spoon touched them they squeezed themselves into little balls and puffed out their spikes.

did they make you pay for it? :D

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Everything is doing well I have a too strong light on them that I will have to change. I forgot to feed it a few days and I actually killed all the aiptasia in one jar also I think I have some spaghetti worms in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back