Jaw Dropping Tanks: What does an incredible reef tank look like to you?

What is your most favorite type of reef tank?

• SPS dominated

Votes: 231 21.0%
  • LPS dominated

Votes: 79 7.2%
  • Soft Coral dominated

Votes: 43 3.9%
  • Zoa dominated

Votes: 21 1.9%
  • Mixed Reef

Votes: 683 62.2%
  • Fish focused

Votes: 22 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our hobby, Reef2Reef is chalked full of amazing saltwater reef aquariums that range from nano to public aquarium sizes and include a huge array of corals, fish and livestock. BUT what one person sees as incredible the other person might see as average. The types of corals and fish may define what you feel make a reef tank amazing. One person may be into acros and a mature sps tank is their cup of tea. Another may love the look of zoanthid covered rocks while someone else may consider them an encroaching pest! Whatever an incredible tank looks like to you, let's talk about it!

What makes a reef tank incredible to you? What really makes your jaw drop? (share a photo of a jaw dropping tank you love)

Here are a few that I really like right here from R2R! There are literally hundreds but I picked 3 I came across quickly!

@Marco A. Martins
img_1557343244948.jpg

@Bacon505
IMG_5363.JPG

@irwin_fletch
DSC_0026 2.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some pretty amazing tanks in all of the categories listed. As many of us start our journeys with easy corals (softies) and progress through the more demanding LPS/SPS/Acros as we mature in the hobby, there are a lot of very mixed reefs out there. Nothing wrong with that. I love mine.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a mixed reef, which is what I had strived for, but it is tough! I'm keeping a few LPS and zoa's alive in my mixed reef but there are very limited areas with low enough flow for them to do well.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and softies/anemones are my favorite. So i voted mixed reef. Add a few LPS that move and can get big and you have the recipe for an easy tank that you don't need to test every few days that has great movement and good colors.(Sorry SPS guys i feel it takes away from the hobby for me, having to test so much for SPS)
I have 12 nems(all mini maxis and rock flowers) in my 120, so I really like them LOL. Colorful little guys.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like me an LPS/softie tank personally.

Most everyone has seen this tank. It’s probably one of my all time favorites. It has a great sense of depth and the colors and textures are coordinated well.
I don’t think some of the corals are very realistic to keep long term though. It also applies the most basic of aquascaping techniques.
FFD77E43-5190-40FE-BD66-4B8B9CD0A8FA.png

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like me an LPS/softie tank personally.

Most everyone has seen this tank. It’s probably one of my all time favorites. It has a great sense of depth and the colors and textures are coordinated well.
I don’t think some of the corals are very realistic to keep long term though. It also applies the most basic of aquascaping techniques.
FFD77E43-5190-40FE-BD66-4B8B9CD0A8FA.png

That's also one of my all time favorites, it's a shame that there's no video of this tank.

I tried to create a top 10 of the most beautiful reef tanks on youtube and after looking at hundreds and hundreds of videos, I had to reduce the top 10 to a top 7.

It's incredibly hard to create a really well aquascaped reef and I have yet to see a single one that gets near the beauty and harmony of the top freshwater scapes. These people are light years ahead of us in knowledge of how to make a tank look beautiful.

The biggest sin of reef tank aquascaping is the lack of sense of depth and it's something that good freshwater aquascapers master, creating tanks that look miles deep.

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixes for me. I have easy sps (birdsnest, ff digi, montipora, Los (frogs spawn, hammers, candycane, duncans) and a few softies (1 keep ya tree and one large leather toadstool (just dragged so now have 3) also 4 different zoas and some mushrooms and a couple bubble tip anemones and 1 curly anemone. All easy to keep stuff. Test once a week and water change 25% once a month. No sump, hang on back skimmer and a aquaclear 110....very some system that is now 6 years old.. stable and all corals grow like mad. 75 gallon.

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a mature mixed reef, without minimalist aquascaping, or excessive blue light. Corals that still look great without it and a decent amount of fish. If you have all that and it still looks good , that’s what counts.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back