IMGP7756_zps6142e6d6.jpg

what is that pink mushroom?

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my Mystery Tie Dye/GameOver has good genes. Every baby starts with orange and red from the get go. I think it's because I picked a good one to be my mama.
This one is tiny. Maybe 1/2 a dime.
GameOverBaby2.jpg

This one is dime to nickel size.
GameOverBaby1.jpg

jbreakers

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just green and orange then I'd say no way. If it picks up red then it's got a shot.

Is that your shroom in your avatar?
yellow and red ..or orange and red... can't look better than bright orange with deep green bro! Yes

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , true jb's look smooth skin with bright yellow and red, green also
There is 4 lineage of Jawbreaker mushrooms that I'm aware of and I believe all 4 originated in CA as they were first imported here.

A. Original Jawbreaker mushroom coral that was imported over 7 years ago, this is what everyone refers to as the true Jawbreaker and also as Mystery TieDye mushroom coral. These start off as neon red orange and then become various shades of golden neon orange. It has a distinct texture to it, and most develop red between 6 to 12 months (some earlier) and green anytime after 18 months (but more typically 3 to 4 years). Don't know when the purple develops. This original Jawbreaker mushroom is slow growing and our first generation didn't drop it's first baby until 2 years of age, thereafter, the babies do drop much more polyps and more often than our original mother (who is the first daughter of the original import). This original lineage, the polyps can get very large, my avatar is the very first daughter to the Mystery TieDye/Jawbreaker mushroom and it is 6" across. Overall, very slow growing is what has been keeping it's value so high. Locally, we have this coral on our local reef club's "DBTC - don't break the chain", but there's a long waitlist to get one because it's so slow growing. It could be several years before your number is up with DBTC.

B. two other later lineages usually only gets to no larger than 3" across and only colors in neon orange and red. the best we could figure out is our local stores named these Jawbreakers as they didn't know any different and through they were the same as the original import. no green or purple on these guys.

C. latest Vietnam Jawbreaker mushroom that just arrive this year is smooth skin and multi-colors up front. It is a beautiful coral, but nothing close to the original Jawbreaker mushroom coral from 7 years ago. The 2 are so distinctly different. I have a feeling that this might be a fast growing mushroom, but don't know as I don't own one.

Which one is better looking is in the eye of the beholder. What determines the price has always been supply vs demand. The demand for the original Jawbreaker is higher than the supply, so the prices stay up. When enough people have this original Jawbreaker and are dropping enough new babies to supply the demand, prices will come down.

My question is why does everyone importing a new multi-color mushroom coral have to name it Jawbreaker? why couldn't they choose a different name since there is already the original Jawbreaker imported into USA over 7 years ago??? :-D There's enough confusion as it is and I get this question more often than any other question. I think I saw another name for the new Vietnam Jawbreaker in Europe and they call it Skittles, like the candy???

Last edited:

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my Mystery Tie Dye/GameOver has good genes. Every baby starts with orange and red from the get go. I think it's because I picked a good one to be my mama.
This one is tiny. Maybe 1/2 a dime.
GameOverBaby2.jpg

This one is dime to nickel size.
GameOverBaby1.jpg

Are theses the babies you mystery tie dye dropped?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back