Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on culturing pods?
yea as soon as i get a few cultures in so they nice and strong then I will get the pods going. I will be adding tiger and tisbe pods.. I have not decided if I will separate them or put them all together then split them.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea as soon as i get a few cultures in so they nice and strong then I will get the pods going. I will be adding tiger and tisbe pods.. I have not decided if I will separate them or put them all together then split them.
Please make a thread. I would love to see how you culture them. I never got any luck.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make a thread. I would love to see how you culture them. I never got any luck.
how come? i mean i watched some videos and looks simple enough? did you keep phyto in your water the whole time?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 32 and still NOT seeing any algae or diatom blooms. I am running lights 10 hours on the AB + settings. I wanted to wait some time to do a water change but my nitrates are little high around 50. I have done 2 water changes in the last 2 weeks but did not do anything to the nitrates so I am just going to wait and see what happens. Zoas and frogspawn are happy nice and open.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 38.. I have picked up 2 Picasso clown fish. I did not want to add more coral as I was still waiting for the diatom bloom to get here. Today it came and it is coming hard. In the morning 4-5 hours ago I have only 1 small spot size of a pea and 4-5 hours later it is now doubled in size and i have multiple spots with drown spots on the rocks. I here is the first culture that I split from the Phyto. I split 2 one gallon jugs and by thursday I will have 2 gallons. I am not making more than I will ever need. The bottle contained the original phyto and the jug is after exactly 7 days. As you can see it is a very dark green.
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4830.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday fun day started with Diatoms... I started seeing a few spots here and there by Wednesday it was just plain old nasty.. I got some nassarius snails and red leg crabs yesterday but not enough.. I am going to lfs to pick up some trochus snails today and maybe a few more nassarius. I checked my phosphates this morning and they are at 0. So the big question what am I doing about the ugly brown diatom outbreak? NOTHING.. I will let it take it's course and hope it goes away sooner rather than later. Red leg crabs are really small about the size of my pinky nail. My Zoa frags are getting full of hairy algae as well.

IMG_4879.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update.. Well Diatoms were in full force and water was turning light brown. So it was time to take some action...

Tuesday 12/25 - I put only carbon in reactor and let it run. I also tuned all lights off in the AM
Wednesday 12/26 - Lights remained off, Water was starting to clear up. I brushed the rocks off and stirred the sandbed
Thursday 12/27 - I did a 40% water change, cleaned out return pumps and " sump" area.
Friday 12/28 - Turned lights back on today. I also received some Acans and wow I really like them a lot!!! Here are a few pics.

file1-1.jpeg
file-2.jpeg
file2-1.jpeg

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updates? Looks good those acans are really pretty
Since friday not much going on. I have some hair algae going on, not too much. I checked phosphates and were at 0.15 so i ran some gfo again to lower it. I now have to check the sweet spot and run the reactor for several hours a day till i get to where phosphates are stable. Waiting on more corals on jan 7th to come in.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Added a few Trochus snails and they are not doing anything to the green hair algae.. Here are some new Acans I received...

file5.jpeg file-3.jpeg file1-2.jpeg file2-2.jpeg file3.jpeg file4.jpeg

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the green hair algae. It seems that I am always just about a week after you with this tank... What long-term solutions are you thinking to manage algae in your tank? What are your nitrates?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the green hair algae. It seems that I am always just about a week after you with this tank... What long-term solutions are you thinking to manage algae in your tank? What are your nitrates?
I am not sure about the green hair algae.. I am not feeding a lot, my nitrates are 2, phosphates are 0.08. I am running carbon and gfo for 8 hours a day to lower it a little to 4-5. I also started running a UV now for 4-5 days and not sure if it is just the tank settling down or the UV light but the green algae is little less than what it wa. It is so small just a cover on the rocks, nothing I can pull out or brush off.

I got a new fish a scopas Tang, pretty small about 2.5 inches. He is always picks on the rocks and keeping the frag plugs clean. My alk is low at 6.7 so I am going to start 2 part to raise it and then add kalkwasser to maintain it. I will get a six line wrasse and maybe a royal gramma and that will complete my fish.

56909674372__A762985F-E36E-4827-BE4A-B6BD65D73BFC.JPEG
IMG_0155.JPEG
IMG_0154.JPEG
IMG_0151.JPEG
IMG_0138.JPEG
IMG_0137.JPEG
IMG_0136.JPEG

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colors on the zoas and acans. Scopas tangs are great grazers! It will def help keep algae mown down. Have you thought about adding a Santa monica drop or a diy algae reactor in the back chamber to help?

Following along.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colors on the zoas and acans. Scopas tangs are great grazers! It will def help keep algae mown down. Have you thought about adding a Santa monica drop or a diy algae reactor in the back chamber to help?

Following along.
I do have a Santa Monica 1.2 drop.. it took about 4 weeks for it to actually start growing but I am cleaning it out weekly from the the algae.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update... Everything is going well. My Phyto has crashed so thats the end of that.. Corals are all doing super well. Acans are nice and fluffy, sps is looking good. I am seeing multiple heads growing on my Zoas. I am not dosing AquaForest as my alk is constantly at 6.5 after water changes. My alk is currently at 9.2 and calcium at 425, Mag at 1470...

IMG_5041.JPG IMG_5044.JPG IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5047.JPG IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5049.JPG IMG_5050.JPG IMG_5051.JPG IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5053.JPG IMG_5054.JPG IMG_5055.JPG IMG_5056.JPG IMG_5057.JPG

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Santa Monica 1.2 drop.. it took about 4 weeks for it to actually start growing but I am cleaning it out weekly from the the algae.

Any negatives with it now that you’ve got it broken in? I’ve heard complaints about it being too loud and/or causing too many bubbles everywhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back