JCOLE's ACRO Dominant Build

martinphillip03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submitted this picture for March's POTM contest. The theme is fish feeding shot. Not the best picture but I only had a couple hours before the deadline to take a picture and edit. I took 40 pictures and this was the last picture that seemed to turn out ok.

IMG_4778-3.jpg
Great shot. Look at the fishes eyes. The eyes are on the prize

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My picture was picked as one of the finalists. I am #15. Could use the votes if you think it's worth a vote. Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some no name frags this weekend. Fresh cut from wild colonies imported from Indo. I fell into a gold mine this weekend and I plan on stocking up on new imports from RRU and Indo very often. Time to start growing these out.

I bought these from a dealer that has them under all blues. These pieces were popping but I am interested to see what they will do under my dominant white T5's.

Pictures do not do them justice. Camera was acting weird and would not focus.

P4130004.jpg

P4130021.jpg

P4130177.jpg

P4130042.jpg

P4130196.jpg

P4130060.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking no-names. Slap some reefbrites on the sides of that fixture and get some blacklight photo-pop going!

I had a BattleBox come in yesterday which was fun. Full spectrum T5

IMG-5068.JPG

I have some blues and I will turn them on tonight to see what they look like. I think some of them were colonies from Reef Raft. I think they still look great under T5's and I am sure they will pop out some unique color in no time.

Nice score Scott! Those are some nice looking sticks!!! What pieces did you get?

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are looking awesome. I just had a another major set back. Rusty magnets wiped out just about all SPS. What animos/vitamins are you using? Sorry if I missed it posted.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are looking awesome. I just had a another major set back. Rusty magnets wiped out just about all SPS. What animos/vitamins are you using? Sorry if I missed it posted.

Oh no!! Sorry to hear that! Some water changes and time will have your tank back to its greatness in no time! I used to have Acropower on a doser but stopped that during my crash to eliminate that factor. To tell you the truth I don't know if it did anything for the tank, to be honest.

I now dose Seachem Reef Trace and Reef Plus. I try to stick with routine water changes on Sundays, then I dose Reef Trace on Wednesday and then Reef Plus on Thursday. Both Trace and Plus have all the Trace elements, Amino's and Vitamins our reefs need. I used it before going to Acropower and now I use it again. Honestly, I can see a difference since going back to this routine. Colors are looking really good now.

Sorry to hear about your setback. Let me know when you are up and running again and I will send some frags your way if you want.

Last edited:

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! Sorry to hear that! Some water changes and time will have your tank back to its greatness in no time! I used to have Acropower on a doser but stopped that during my crash to eliminate that factor. To tell you the truth I don't know if it did anything for the tank, to be honest.

I now dose Seachem Reef Trace and Reef Plus. I try to stick with routine water changes on Sundays then I dose Reef Trace on Wednesday and then Plus on Thursday. Both Trace and Plus have all the Trace elements, Amino's and Vitamins our reefs need. I used it before going to Acropower and now I use it again. Honestly, I can see a difference since going back to this regime. Colors are looking really good now.

Sorry to hear about your setback. Let me know when you are up and running again and I will send some frags your way if you want.
Some frags from your tank would be great. I will let you know. I do have a question. Aren't you replacing trace elements with weekly water changes? Or is there pixy dust in Reef Trace that corals like?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some frags from your tank would be great. I will let you know. I do have a question. Aren't you replacing trace elements with weekly water changes? Or is there pixy dust in Reef Trace that corals like?

Ahh I knew that was coming. Haha. Yes I often think that as well but after my last ICP test during the crash I was really low on Iodine, etc so I was thinking at the time that they weren't getting enough. That is why I wait a couple of days post water change before dosing. It hasn't hurt anything since using it so I havent stopped.

When I was using Acropower daily on a doser I had a huge problem with algae. I don't have that issue anymore with the Seachems products.

Honestly, nothing sticks out to me that it makes a huge difference but the corals seem healthy and colorful so I just continue to use it. Also, it isn't that expensive compared to aqua forest, redsea, etc so that's a plus.

Definitely let me know when you are ready and I will let you know what I have available. On the house special. ;)

Last edited:

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow @JCOLE, I don't know how I missed your thread! This tank is a beauty. Congratulations on succeeding with flying colors in one of the hardest parts of the hobby. I'm still working on success with SPS, but I aspire to have a tank like yours someday. I recently also had a STN/RTN event that was pretty similar to yours. My nutrients bottomed out and my RODI filters had gone unreplaced for too long. Anyways Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow @JCOLE, I don't know how I missed your thread! This tank is a beauty. Congratulations on succeeding with flying colors in one of the hardest parts of the hobby. I'm still working on success with SPS, but I aspire to have a tank like yours someday. I recently also had a STN/RTN event that was pretty similar to yours. My nutrients bottomed out and my RODI filters had gone unreplaced for too long. Anyways Happy Reefing!

Thank you!! Definitely been a rollercoaster ride and it still has its issues.

I haven't had a single loss in 2 months. Then came home to this today. To be fair, it had some STN under the colony after the crash. I was expecting it to go but didn't think it would last that long.

20210415_182619.jpg

Sucks because I took some pictures of it last night because i thought the colors were looking great on it.

Cut the colony out and made a bunch a frags in hope of saving it.

20210415_211725.jpg

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Definitely been a rollercoaster ride and it still has its issues.

I haven't had a single loss in 2 months. Then came home to this today. To be fair, it had some STN under the colony after the crash. I was expecting it to go but didn't think it would last that long.

20210415_182619.jpg

Sucks because I took some pictures of it last night because i thought the colors were looking great on it.

Cut the colony out and made a bunch a frags in hope of saving it.

20210415_211725.jpg
Looks like you nipped it in the bud. Hopefully those frags heal and give you plenty of mini colonies. :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Bloodsickle! - I took these pictures the day before it STN'd on me. Hopefully, the frags pull through and I can grow this one out again. Polyps look like little tangerine slices to me.

BC 7.jpg
BC.jpg
BC 6.jpg
BC 5.jpg
BC 4.jpg

BC 3.jpg
BC 2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back