OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little setback. Against my better judgment, I dumped in 4 bags of 4 year expired "live" sand. I knew I should have rinsed it but was thinking maybe there were some bacteria still in the bag that could help cure the rock. Well, everything is now out of the sump and I have to pressure wash the sump tonight and start the whole cure all over again. I hope it didn't mess up my new skimmer as well. Everything is now coated with slippery slimy aragonite slurry.

20220409_192831.jpg

20220413_210714.jpg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little setback. Against my better judgment, I dumped in 4 bags of 4 year expired "live" sand. I knew I should have rinsed it but was thinking maybe there were some bacteria still in the bag that could help cure the rock. Well, everything is now out of the sump and I have to pressure wash the sump tonight and start the whole cure all over again. I hope it didn't mess up my new skimmer as well. Everything is now coated with slippery slimy aragonite slurry.

20220409_192831.jpg

20220413_210714.jpg
C1A53A31-2EED-4ABC-B588-4C3B517D02F4.gif

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank was purchased today and I decided to go a little bigger... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have been stuck over the last couple of weeks between Acrylic and Glass. After talking with multiple hobbyists I ended on Acrylic. Scratching is the biggest issue with me for Acrylic but everyone said scratches usually happen from sand under the magnets while cleaning. I am going all crushed coral so hopefully, that should keep scratches to a bare minimum. Take away the scratching and the rest are all positives for me. Much stronger than glass, the chance of a leak is rare compared to glass, the clearest material you can get for tanks, and the winner here is the weight. I should be able to pick the tank up with 2 people.

The tank will be a 480 gallon peninsula tank at 96x48x24. The 4' width is going to be amazing! The builder said it should take around 8 weeks to build. I have ALOT of work ahead of me so an extra two months is needed.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank was purchased today and I decided to go a little bigger... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have been stuck over the last couple of weeks between Acrylic and Glass. After talking with multiple hobbyists I ended on Acrylic. Scratching is the biggest issue with me for Acrylic but everyone said scratches usually happen from sand under the magnets while cleaning. I am going all crushed coral so hopefully, that should keep scratches to a bare minimum. Take away the scratching and the rest are all positives for me. Much stronger than glass, the chance of a leak is rare compared to glass, the clearest material you can get for tanks, and the winner here is the weight. I should be able to pick the tank up with 2 people.

The tank will be a 480 gallon peninsula tank at 96x48x24. The 4' width is going to be amazing! The builder said it should take around 8 weeks to build. I have ALOT of work ahead of me so an extra two months is needed.
I also prefer Acrylic. One good thing about ending up with a scratch, is they are easily removed. They make kits to remove them without draining the tank. Also, if you are really creative, you can sacrifice a cheap Harbor Freight air powered sander to remove them. You just hook up a hose to the exhaust port and run that out from under the water lol. Then removal is super quick lol.

I will actually be polishing my 7' Nem tank this weekend. I will be using different grits of sand paper with it full to remove some hazing from accidentally using the wrong mag float lol.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more afraid of scratching with crushed coral more than sand

always clean the bottom of acrylic last
By bottom I mean where the sand is

be careful when working outside the tank
I’ve scratched acrylic from leaning on tanks with jeans that have that little button tab on pockets

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer Acrylic. One good thing about ending up with a scratch, is they are easily removed. They make kits to remove them without draining the tank. Also, if you are really creative, you can sacrifice a cheap Harbor Freight air powered sander to remove them. You just hook up a hose to the exhaust port and run that out from under the water lol. Then removal is super quick lol.

I will actually be polishing my 7' Nem tank this weekend. I will be using different grits of sand paper with it full to remove some hazing from accidentally using the wrong mag float lol.

Yeah, that is what everyone I talked to said as well. The scratches can be removed and it isn't bad to do. I am really easy with my tank so hopefully, I can eliminate some scratches.

I am interested to see how your polishing turns out.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend a mighty magnet for acrylic

Yes, this is the magnet everyone I talked to recommended. I will definitely order some before the tank gets here.

I’d be more afraid of scratching with crushed coral more than sand

always clean the bottom of acrylic last
By bottom I mean where the sand is

be careful when working outside the tank
I’ve scratched acrylic from leaning on tanks with jeans that have that little button tab on pockets

Curious as to what would you be afraid of with the gravel? I can't imagine gravel getting in between the magnets. It will be larger sized gravel so it shouldn't blow around easily. Others have said the same thing as well to clean up to a couple of inches from the gravel and then use a plastic scraper from there.

Good thinking about the outside scratches. I will be extra careful but I am sure something will happen. The good news is if something happens then I can fix it easier than glass. My 3 year at the time scratched the front of my glass and it is too deep to repair.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravel can get caught on pad that comes with magnets

I just have less problems with sand than gravel

gravel will leave a lot deeper scratch if it does get caught

I’ve seen snails scratch acrylic

i love the way acrylic aquariums look, especially if you get museum quality seams.

just be smart

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also FYI I scratched a 300 gal glass
Peninsula pretty bad once and had it sanded and polished

it was a lot of work but glass can be polished with the right professional

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 bags of crushed coral and just ordered 8 bags of sea floor aragonite. I am thinking of going with this sea floor sand instead of crushed coral. I do like the size of the sand. Or maybe this sand with a couple bags of crushed coral mixed in. What do you all think?

Crushed coral
20220415_233553.jpg

20220415_233915.jpg

Seafloor sand
20220415_233852.jpg
20220415_233902.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 bags of crushed coral and just ordered 8 bags of sea floor aragonite. I am thinking of going with this sea floor sand instead of crushed coral. I do like the size of the sand. Or maybe this sand with a couple bags of crushed coral mixed in. What do you all think?

Crushed coral
20220415_233553.jpg

20220415_233915.jpg

Seafloor sand
20220415_233852.jpg
20220415_233902.jpg
That is exactly what my nem tank is. 50% crushed coral and 50% larger grain sand. You can blast flow, critters can still root around in it, and the nems seems to prefer it better than regular sand.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what my nem tank is. 50% crushed coral and 50% larger grain sand. You can blast flow, critters can still root around in it, and the nems seems to prefer it better than regular sand.

Perfect. That is what I think I am going to do. It is going to be all Acropora so flow will be heavy and I need something that won't create a sand storm. I was thinking all crushed coral but I think that will be a pain to keep clean.

Do you see an issue with yours as far as keeping it clean and does it scratch the acrylic?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. That is what I think I am going to do. It is going to be all Acropora so flow will be heavy and I need something that won't create a sand storm. I was thinking all crushed coral but I think that will be a pain to keep clean.

Do you see an issue with yours as far as keeping it clean and does it scratch the acrylic?
I do not really have an issue with keeping it clean, as long as I do not leave for a week and have a misadjusted auto-feeder lol. But then it was only dirty where I have a small dead spot.

I also have do not feed this tank too heavy. It only has some clowns, hawkfish and a springerii damsel. For inverts, it has 9-10 green or red pistol shrimp. They do stir up areas, But outside of me not rinsing the stuff as well as I should have, not much detritus makes it into it. Flow helps with that. Also, if you do vacuum it, it comes clean super quick.

Just remember, rinse the crap out of it. Best thing I have found is a cheap screen door from lowes and a few cinder blocks to put the door on. Put the sand on that, spread it out and then rinse it. Turn it over gently every so often and rinse some more. This prevents it from beating against itself and creating more dust, which this tank has due to rinsing in buckets. The 180 was done with the screen door trick and has 0 dust.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not bare bottom?
I mean if it’s acros, flow and keeping waste/ bacteria/food in suspension then bare bottom kinda makes sense

maybe you like wrasses?
Maybe you like the look?

I find in mature tanks that are aquascaped well you don’t even notice the bare bottom

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not bare bottom?
I mean if it’s acros, flow and keeping waste/ bacteria/food in suspension then bare bottom kinda makes sense

maybe you like wrasses?
Maybe you like the look?

I find in mature tanks that are aquascaped well you don’t even notice the bare bottom

I really like the look and I believe it does play a big role in nutrient reduction and pH stability.

I sucked out half of my sand from my 150 after my crash and it just doesn't look right to me.

I am modeling this tank with old school ways. Old school ways that worked and seem to be forgotten now.

So far the build will have the following

Regular old rock wall in the middle
Metal halides and T5s
Foam fractionator - no needle wheels here
Crushed coral with a little bit of sand ;)
Annnd...I am even contemplating on running an undergravel filter

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look and I believe it does play a big role in nutrient reduction and pH stability.

I sucked out half of my sand from my 150 after my crash and it just doesn't look right to me.

I am modeling this tank with old school ways. Old school ways that worked and seem to be forgotten now.

So far the build will have the following

Regular old rock wall in the middle
Metal halides and T5s
Foam fractionator - no needle wheels here
Crushed coral with a little bit of sand ;)
Annnd...I am even contemplating on running an undergravel filter

Do your thing Josh! So many ways to do this hobby, and I like to mix things up too, some cringe at my techniques, but it's just what I do, lol. I want sand back in my system, but I resist. Crushed coral will let you crank your pumps, I actually like it, but it does tend to get corraline covered, at least mine did. If I di sand again, it will be Reef Flakes from Tropic Eden. Anyway, should be fun with old school technique, halides, t5's, undergravel filter, looking forward to the setup!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your thing Josh! So many ways to do this hobby, and I like to mix things up too, some cringe at my techniques, but it's just what I do, lol. I want sand back in my system, but I resist. Crushed coral will let you crank your pumps, I actually like it, but it does tend to get corraline covered, at least mine did. If I di sand again, it will be Reef Flakes from Tropic Eden. Anyway, should be fun with old school technique, halides, t5's, undergravel filter, looking forward to the setup!

100% agree! What works for some doesn't work for others. Have to find what works for your system. I had all sand in this existing system and sucked about half of it out after the crash. I believed that Vibrant was still in the sand and was slowly releasing into the tank(just my theory). I sucked about half out and although it does help with the flow I feel my system took forever to rebound.

My first system in the early 00's was all crushed coral and I really didn't enjoy gravel vacuuming every week but thinking about it, that was my easiest and bullet proof tank. Granted I did start with all live rock but the things I did to that tank and things lived still puzzle me to this day. It was a 75 gallon and I never tested the parameters once. I would dose Kent's buffer daily without knowing the levels. No sump, just a canister filter. I never used RODI water once. I would scoop out a biggie sized Mcdonald's cup of water daily and discard it then fill up a cup from the sink and mix a cup of instant ocean for a minute then right into the tank it went. A bunch of other rookie things as well. All of this and not one coral loss and everything looked happy. I feel crush coral did have a hand in this. I want those same results back.

That is the thing I am thinking about now is gravel vacuuming a 480 gallon tank weekly.... Maybe I should think about this first.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back