OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have bubble algae but nothing that my fox face and emeralds cannot take care of. Does anyone know if bubble algae will be an issue with crushed coral? I don't have issues currently with my sand but I think if bubble algae get's into the crush coral then it might be hard work for the fox face and crabs to get rid of.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have bubble algae but nothing that my fox face and emeralds cannot take care of. Does anyone know if bubble algae will be an issue with crushed coral? I don't have issues currently with my sand but I think if bubble algae get's into the crush coral then it might be hard work for the fox face and crabs to get rid of.

Yes, any algae will grow on crushed coral, but really brother, you just pick it out, by hand, no big deal ;)
I didn't buffer alk, or ca, for the entire time I had CC, it's really weird, and I had some sps going, and not just little fraggies like I currently have, lol.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some advice. If your contemplating crushed coral and an under gravel filter. You may look into a reverse flow under gravel. This will reduce the amount you have to vacuum the gravel, Still allows bacteria to thrive, and I have heard of people running part of their return flow through so no extra pumps and not a whole lot of extra plumbing.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any algae will grow on crushed coral, but really brother, you just pick it out, by hand, no big deal ;)
I didn't buffer alk, or ca, for the entire time I had CC, it's really weird, and I had some sps going, and not just little fraggies like I currently have, lol.

That's what I figured. Hopefully it is manageable. I will up the army of emeralds when the tank gets set up.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some advice. If your contemplating crushed coral and an under gravel filter. You may look into a reverse flow under gravel. This will reduce the amount you have to vacuum the gravel, Still allows bacteria to thrive, and I have heard of people running part of their return flow through so no extra pumps and not a whole lot of extra plumbing.

Thanks. Yes, if I go that route it will be a reverse undergravel filter. I don't know if I am going to go with it though. If the builder builds it then they want to come up from the bottom into the filter. Although it will be out of mind I just don't want the bottom drilled. I can't imagine a bottom bulkhead failure on a 480 gallon tank.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started seeding the first bucket of crushed coral. I thought of doing something that works like an undergravel filter. Air moves water from the bottom and keeps everything circulating and oxygenated. Going to set up atleast 4 or 5 buckets like this. Hope it works out as planned.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started seeding the first bucket of crushed coral. I thought of doing something that works like an undergravel filter. Air moves water from the bottom and keeps everything circulating and oxygenated. Going to set up atleast 4 or 5 buckets like this. Hope it works out as planned.

Looks like you got it rinsed real well also. Hoping it works for ya as well.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got it rinsed real well also. Hoping it works for ya as well.

Yes, and it took fooooorever! It took about an hour for a 40lb bag. I took your suggestion and it worked very well. 1 down, 8 to go.

20220417_175130.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120lbs of crushed coral and sand washed so far. Only 440lbs left to go! :anxious-face-with-sweat:

20220427_192339.jpg
You got this.

Just think how tired your arm would be if you were swirling it around in a bucket. You would be Popeye before you were done with all of those bags lol.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rendering is complete and approved! It is official. They are starting on the tank now and it should be here within 8 weeks. I have a lot of work ahead of me. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

JCole.jpg
JCole External Overflow.jpg
It is official: you have lost your mind. But in a good way :)

And you are doing the 300G stock tank as your sump? Or am I confusing you with another?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is official: you have lost your mind. But in a good way :)

And you are doing the 300G stock tank as your sump? Or am I confusing you with another?

Yep, thats me! I have the 300 cooking some rocks now and will plumb the system into it within a month to start getting everything on the same system.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Will you have power coming in from the floor so there are no cords?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Will you have power coming in from the floor so there are no cords?

No. The old tank will not be in there anymore. This tank will be about 6" from the back wall where the existing tank is currently. All plumbing will run from that back wall into the garage where my fish room is currently. I will run some extra AC circuits into the room from the garage for the halides, etc. All lines and plumbing on the wall will be covered. The 6" bump out from the back will have a wall built that will conceal all wiring and plumbing but will allow access to plumbing, etc if needed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back