Jebao dosing pump DP4 on timer?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I'm looking for a dosing pump, I manually dose currently and life is getting too hectic to maintain my daily regime. I only dose 4ml of 2 part, and 6ml of mag each day in my IM 25 so I'm not really interested in spending the 300+ for a GHL or Kore.
I've been reading a ton about the different dosing pump options and it seems like everyone either has a great experience or a terrible one. One of the more common issues (outside the rollers being installed backwards from the factory
default_mellow.png
) I've read about are the pumps failing open and emptying bottles of cal/alk/whatever into someones tank. This would be devastating in my small water volume, so I thought what if I hooked up the doser to a timer to limit the possibly of it sticking open all day while I'm at work. Program the pump to come on twice a day, say 11:20am and 6:20pm, hook it up to a timer that supplies power only between 11:15-25am then again at 6:15-25pm so if it did go south it would limit the amount it could pump into the tank.
BUT I'm unsure how it would hold up to being disconnected from power for long periods of time. Does it hold its programming? How about time? It wont do me any good if when it turns on its flashing 12:00... I'm hoping there are some folks who own the DP4 (preferably v2) that can tell me how it holds up to being disconnected from power for longer than a few minutes?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own one and been using it to dose mostly soda ash solution and lanthanum chloride on daily basis in small amounts every hour on the hour. Been using it for about a year. Pulled it right out of the box and calibrated it and stuck to dose. Never had any issues. Calibration is still holding I checked it last month.

OP
OP
kyleinpdx

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own one and been using it to dose mostly soda ash solution and lanthanum chloride on daily basis in small amounts every hour on the hour. Been using it for about a year. Pulled it right out of the box and calibrated it and stuck to dose. Never had any issues. Calibration is still holding I checked it last month.

Thanks for the input Dr. Reef, this is why I'm conflicted, many good reports but a high enough number of problem posts that I'm thinking its almost luck of the draw. I dont want to risk the health of all my livestock on a $70 Chinese doser. Since I dont yet have an apex or another device that could shut it down in the event of a failure, I'd like some additional security.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back