Jebao MCP-90 and MCP series

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at reviews and from what I've gathered the wave heads are good for the price but everyone hates the app. Curious because I'm setting up a Low Boy from ZooMed and want a gyre since the tank is shallow and all and alternatives are either random never heard of amazon brands or pretty expensive for 1 pump. Just curious what everyone's experience with Jebao is weather its good or bad (with some context) or if anyone knows of a reliable cheap gyre. Bonus points if you're able to find replacement parts for the Jebao or other cheap powerheads! (also curious if some other well known brand gyre replacement parts would fit such as guards or replacement blades, for reliability and aesthetic reasons such as changing the purple blades for red like most others.)

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your budget for "alternatives"?
Not really a budget but I think for like the Icecap 2K and controller for $300 is excessive. $200 for a single pump is also kind of pushing it but it depends.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a budget but I think for like the Icecap 2K and controller for $300 is excessive. $200 for a single pump is also kind of pushing it but it depends.
If you want a controller, WiFi and those kind of features - you generally pay for what you get. You can also look at fixed speed wavemakers like Tunze or Sicce.

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a controller, WiFi and those kind of features - you generally pay for what you get. You can also look at fixed speed wavemakers like Tunze or Sicce.
well I don't necessarily want a controller but I haven't seen any gyres that don't require a controller.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent used mcp for the wifi , but i do own and recently got more of the scp crossflows from jebao. to me its a great economical choice. the controller is simple and I enjoy pairing two devices together for concurrent wave action.
downsides - instructions are poor, no customer service etc.

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent used mcp for the wifi , but i do own and recently got more of the scp crossflows from jebao. to me its a great economical choice. the controller is simple and I enjoy pairing two devices together for concurrent wave action.
downsides - instructions are poor, no customer service etc.
I've seen similar reviews, but being its a cheap Chinese brand I didn't know how reliable they would be.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen similar reviews, but being its a cheap Chinese brand I didn't know how reliable they would be.
yea i get you... being 25% of the cost, theres not much to lose though.. i havent had any real issues from mine so far, excluding the ones I caused myself lol ( opened up the motor head for cleaning - noisy after )

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i get you... being 25% of the cost, theres not much to lose though.. i havent had any real issues from mine so far, excluding the ones I caused myself lol ( opened up the motor head for cleaning - noisy after )
cool, always great to get someone else's first hand experience. But how long have you had them running?

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's not prone to spontaneously catching fire...
true, but we got them in water so its fineeeee. I did see that even though they are quite cheap they do have some self protection systems then displays a code.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of controllers, this "new" jebao controles are very poor quality build, buttons gets pierced, so thin and fragile, after few push it simply get puncture in the middle....

Or maybe i got bad ones.....

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of controllers, this "new" jebao controles are very poor quality build, buttons gets pierced, so thin and fragile, after few push it simply get puncture in the middle....

Or maybe i got bad ones.....
I can definitely agree with the cheap quality. I wouldn't call them bad but the price shows. Bought the "preowned" one off amazon so it didn't come with the manual so when I set it up. I plugged the pump in, then the brick into the wall then connected the power supply and it sparks at the port :face-with-tears-of-joy: but no problem or damage caused but I didn't know. Just thought it was funny and kind of shows the protection these cheap things have. Idk maybe when I decide to upgrade ill throw mine on OfferUp or Facebook and buy those overpriced name brand gyre's but for the time being if it works even with some worn buttons id just hide the controller to not be an eyesore.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when you first connect power to wall and then cable into controller, it sparks.

But this is not limited to jebao poor quality, same thing happens with aquamedic, blau, ro, pretty much any dc controller.

Maybe because we doing it wrong, proper order is connect everything, power supply, equipment into controller and last thing to do is put power cord into outlet.... ;)

But, for me also its easier and faster to just pull cable from controller ;)

OP
OP
Yerxi

Yerxi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when you first connect power to wall and then cable into controller, it sparks.

But this is not limited to jebao poor quality, same thing happens with aquamedic, blau, ro, pretty much any dc controller.

Maybe because we doing it wrong, proper order is connect everything, power supply, equipment into controller and last thing to do is put power cord into outlet.... ;)

But, for me also its easier and faster to just pull cable from controller ;)
Same, I had checked online manuals so you’re definitely supposed to plug in power last but a quick disconnect is easier than reaching around and finding that plug. I just thought the spark was funny

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, spark is good. Spark means your pump work. Until it dont ;)

Kidding, easier and faster vs proper operation.....

But interesting, i read many people are trigger happy when they see that spark, and return product immediately, without realizing that they are "guilty" of it.

Any device that is hot plugged will probably produce spark.... Nothing wrong with device, only with user ;)

But hey, we all do it, me included ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back