Jebao RW-4 review?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I'm planning to switch up my powerheads from koralia wavemakers to the jebAo... I wanted some honest feedback from anyone who has them

I have my koralias on a wavemaker and it creates a nice sway action but I don't like the way it looks. Too bulky. I wanted to get one pump to put only on one side of my tank and the mp10's are just too expensive for me at the moment.

I have a 60 gallon 4 feet long tank. I want some honest feedback from people who have used one and if it's enough flow. I only keep mostly lps and I don't want too much flow.

I like the setting options on the jebao , and I'm wondering if the reef mode setting or the "random" setting creates a good random flow in the tank

Thanks

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only advice I can give you is that they have to be kept clean....as they gunk up, you dramatically lose flow...they are a pretty cheaply made item overall, dont expect mp10 quality....but they do the job and move a lot of water.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only advice I can give you is that they have to be kept clean....as they gunk up, you dramatically lose flow...they are a pretty cheaply made item overall, dont expect mp10 quality....but they do the job and move a lot of water.

Goes without saying for all powerheads no?

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jebao wp 25 on my 120 on the else mode works great about 8 months old , I also have a newer pp8 on my 90 it also works great. JMO but like them and they are easy to take apart a clean.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jebao wp 25 on my 120 on the else mode works great about 8 months old , I also have a newer pp8 on my 90 it also works great. JMO but like them and they are easy to take apart a clean.

Does it create a huge wave motion on else mode? I'm worried my tank may not be able to handle wave mode - I would love to get random flow where my lps and nems aren't just waving in one direction. Do you achieve that kind of movement?

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a few jebao wave pumps. I only get about a year out of them. They work good but you get what you pay for. They good for a budget and not expecting a long life. Now they offer 1 year warranty because of lot of bad pumps. I stop buying them in long run I was spending more money.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the RW-8 power heads. I know you asked about the 4s specifically. But hopefully this helps you out.
I have had mine for about 2 years now and they are working great. As stated, keep them cleaned off and they should last a long time. I take mine apart (which is very simple) and soak them in vinegar every 6 months or so.
The only problem I have had with mine is that one of the adjustment knobs seems to spin infinitely now, so adjusting the wave duration on that power head takes a little tweaking. But once I get it set its good to go. And on that same controller module the speed lights have just now quit working. So I jumped on amazon and ordered another control module for $18.... Cheap fix if you ask me! But honestly at $65 a piece (I think thats what I paid?) for the RW-8 power heads I dont expect perfection or super long life....
I will say that these things will blow your rocks and corals around if you arent careful and adjust it to your needs! They are very powerful!

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used one on my 46gal for over a year, probably two, & has worked very well. Good flow. I usually run it on random. I would have liked the start-stop-start flow mode to have had a longer pause when off.

On a 60 gal two pumps would be enough, unless your mainly keeping sps; I would go 3

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, however jebao need much more routine cleaning .... you can go months without cleaning a mp10, and lose like 25 % flow.... jebao you would lose like 50% or more in just a month or 2
While they do require cleaning. I would not say 50% loss in a month or 2... I've used 2 wp-25 on a 55g. Then those plus 2 rw 8 on a 120g. I currently have the wp-25s in my quarantine tanks, a ten gallon and 20g, I have a variable output power supply and have it turned down to 15v instead of 24v with the controller on less than half power.
The rw 8s are in my 54g 36inch tank also with a reduced voltage to keep from a sandstorm.
I've been running the 25s at least 3 years now and the rw8s about 2 years. I clean them quarterly maybe a little longer.

If you want one powerhead, in a 4 foot tank I'd suggest maybe getting the rw8..

I think any powerhead is hard to get enough good flow from just one but I guess it depends on your rock work.

Thinking I am gonna play around with placement today, if I do. I can post a video of the rw8 flow across the 36 inch tank, if you are interested.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm using the newer sw-4 at 100% and I'm having no problems. Would like to upgrade to the ecotech mp10 in the near future.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 RW-8 and 1 RW-4...all are working great and put out a great flow. The controller for them gives you a good level of control and the ability to have master and slave powerheads.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three RWs and none lasted past 14mo. They work great up until the end! I agree on a 4ft tank one 4 is not enough. Look into the new model and not the RW. Hopefully you'll get more life.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the WP series and they did require a lot of cleanings. The RW/PP/SW series on have much bigger holes and I barely have to clean them at all. They are great, although there is definitely not the QC you see on more expensive brands. Usually if something isn't working, you'll usually notice it right away though. I had a few controllers that acted funky but easily replaced since I bought them through amazon. I have two RW/PP-8s on a 100g 4' tank.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they do require cleaning. I would not say 50% loss in a month or 2... I've used 2 wp-25 on a 55g. Then those plus 2 rw 8 on a 120g. I currently have the wp-25s in my quarantine tanks, a ten gallon and 20g, I have a variable output power supply and have it turned down to 15v instead of 24v with the controller on less than half power.
The rw 8s are in my 54g 36inch tank also with a reduced voltage to keep from a sandstorm.
I've been running the 25s at least 3 years now and the rw8s about 2 years. I clean them quarterly maybe a little longer.

If you want one powerhead, in a 4 foot tank I'd suggest maybe getting the rw8..

I think any powerhead is hard to get enough good flow from just one but I guess it depends on your rock work.

Thinking I am gonna play around with placement today, if I do. I can post a video of the rw8 flow across the 36 inch tank, if you are interested.

Very interested if you can send me a video :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back