Jeff's 300 Gallon Deep Dimension Reef Build

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences for your Mom's passing, Shredded. Strong women raise high-quality sons.

You seem set to unleash a truly "epic" reef build!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, finally some forward progress! Heat and air installed. Had some issues with the opening in the wall but got that adjusted on Saturday and finally, yesterday moved the the stand into place. We set the laser up and looks like I need a few shims cut so having those done today. Once that is done, I can tile the floor. I am almost tempted to have someone else do it because that mosaic is going to be a pain and I am ready to begin the fun part. All the equipment is just sitting here ready to install.
Here are some current shots. IMG_5484[1].JPG IMG_5485[1].JPG IMG_5486[1].JPG IMG_5487[1].JPG IMG_5488[1].JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump though...

Amazing.

Don't worry about the time that has passed. Rome wasn't built in a day.

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This room started out looking big. Now, with everything all that still has to be installed, its going to be tight. The shelf that fits under the stand to hold all of the equipment, I made from a grid that is used for platform walkway grating. It is made from reinforced fiberglass and was yellow but I sprayed it in white pearl plastidip. I actually cut it to extend out of the left side of the stand to make a platform to support the 1/2 hp Penguin refrigeration unit.

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so, I tried to get someone else to lay the tile. No one would take it on. I had one guy drop by and he said he would send me an estimate. Never heard a word and so this is how I spent my week end. Saturday morning we leveled the stand with the lasers. shimmed all the feet with solid steel plate and then bolted the four corners down with Red Heads,popped my chalk lines and started cutting tile. Every muscle in my body hurts but my knees hurt the worst. If I didn't have a lot to do at work today I would be home. I have a few more special cuts to do to around the feet but after about 48 hours it will be ready for grout.
IMG_5532[1].JPG
IMG_5533[1].JPG
IMG_5534[1].JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that's nice work! All in the details...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one of the primary reasons reefers stop buying equipment is that they simply run out of space.

That's when they start buying new homes. (~_^)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
OK, so it looks like it has been awhile since I posted an update. It seems like my last one was May. I apologize, life, work and building this tank took over and being that I am on a computer all day for work leaves very little time to get on and share. Actually stealing a little break time at work to post this. So, a lot has happened. It has been up and running since July. Now, that means with water and pumps running running only. I have been working on the rest in the mean time, dosing, water top off, automated water changes.... etc. I was right when I said space would be tight. It is. I don't think once the Calcium Reactor is in that there will be room for any more equipment. There is no controller on the tank as of yet. Perhaps in the text few weeks. I do have some pics to share. The tank is stable, and has been for two months. It is set up as a Zeovit system and I have been dozing as such. Since I have never done this before, I am only assuming it is right to this point. Tank fully cycled leaving nitrates at 50+ but continued dosing and brought them down to 0 or not measurable with test kits. I measure and then double check with my LFS. See levels below. I do want to give a shout out to Prestige Worldwide Corals in OKC (I hope that doesn't break any rules) . This is a beautiful well maintained store, beautiful healthy livestock and some of the most helpful, nice generous people I have met. You don't see see that very often anymore. So, as you may have noticed in the previous pics I went with a rack design to mount equipment. I bought standard Gridwall rack that is used in retail stores. While not perfect, lots of things worked out pretty cool and easily movable. Pretty happy overall. I am now officially broke though so I will be buying 5 dollar frags to stock that tank. I knew that was going to happen. :p SO take a look at my pics. I only really lack the Calcium reactor (have it), it will go next the dosing containers this week but not be started.

Levels are
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 460
Alkalinity - 8.6
Magnesium - 1680
Salinity - 1.024
Temperature - 76°
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great setup. What are the two side-by-side black containers mounted high on the wall adjacent to the RO/DI system?

OP
OP
Shredded

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great setup. What are the two side-by-side black containers mounted high on the wall adjacent to the RO/DI system?
Thank you!
Those are one gallon containers used by the Genesis Renew automatic water changer. They have a very unique way to accomplish this. The container on the left will hold one gallon of fresh saltwater, the container on the right holds one gallon of old tank water. First off this thing is super easy to operate. You simply key in the number of gallons each week that you want to change from 1 to 99. It will calculate how frequently it must change one gallon of water in order to accomplish this for the week. Then you push start to do the first gallon. It will pump water from the blue storage container into the one gallon container. Now, it has an overflow back to the blue storage so that no matter how long the pump runs (actually 1 minute) then the amount over one gallon flows back. so that when it stops, it always holds one gallon. The same thing happens with the sump water that is pumped into the other container. When the system determines that everything went normal, then the sump water is dumped down the drain and the fresh saltwater is dumped into the sump. There is also a setting for continuous if you want to do a continuous water change like 20 gallons at once, one gallon after another until the 20 gallons is reached or a daily change for how many gallons you want to change per day. I like the weekly setting. Works with the storm, their water top off like a charm. They talk to each other so that the water top off know when to stop since its a water change and not evaporation.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back