OP
OP
jestersix

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been slacking...long time no post. So here is a recent video...

[video=youtube;6VJv9agxTqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJv9agxTqY[/video]

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude awesome video. I really like the way those plasmas are looking how much did they run you. I apologize if you posted this before I just don't want to run through all the pages. I love the melanuras i think thats how you spell it. he looks like a beast.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i am not mistaken i believe that controlling the brightness is the same thing. Kind of like if you dim a mh the color gets bluer i believe I am not 100 percent sure but i think the less power going to the lights the different spectrum it would put out.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you control color or just brightness?
With plasmas, you can adjust the intensity, which changes the color spectrum as well. At lower intensity, it's more of a blue look, while at a higher intensity they are more of a yellow color hue. I think that the low kelvin color spectrum of these lights is part of the reason that they haven't become more popular, despite the amazing intensity of these fixtures. So many people try to achieve such a blue hue in their tank, that it would require substantial supplemental lighting to adjust the color temp.

gumby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With plasmas, you can adjust the intensity, which changes the color spectrum as well. At lower intensity, it's more of a blue look, while at a higher intensity they are more of a yellow color hue. I think that the low kelvin color spectrum of these lights is part of the reason that they haven't become more popular, despite the amazing intensity of these fixtures. So many people try to achieve such a blue hue in their tank, that it would require substantial supplemental lighting to adjust the color temp.

alright. thank you

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder waht the par values are at a lower intensity maybe jesters has that info. because the life of the bulb is supposed to be like 5 years or something. so i wonder what kind of par rating you would get wiht a bluer looking spectrum. unless you have to dial them down to like half then that would suck.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video man, those the tank wish i could try out some plasma's but i think there just still too new.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder waht the par values are at a lower intensity maybe jesters has that info. because the life of the bulb is supposed to be like 5 years or something. so i wonder what kind of par rating you would get wiht a bluer looking spectrum. unless you have to dial them down to like half then that would suck.

He has a diagram with PAR rating at full power and at 50% on page 2.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so from the looks of it if you dropped the lights and ran them at 50 percent you would have nice color from the looks of it and some pretty decent par. Would this also extend the life of the bulbs or would they have the same burn time like a halide and they would burn out either way.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt even see the par chart it looks like its on par with most other lights. I hav a question if you could have another set up for free would you choose any other lights over these?

OP
OP
jestersix

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so from the looks of it if you dropped the lights and ran them at 50 percent you would have nice color from the looks of it and some pretty decent par. Would this also extend the life of the bulbs or would they have the same burn time like a halide and they would burn out either way.

It gets pretty blue at 70%; and real blue at 50%. Dropping the intensity does extend the life of the bulb, so it makes sense to run that way if you like the blue!

OP
OP
jestersix

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt even see the par chart it looks like its on par with most other lights. I hav a question if you could have another set up for free would you choose any other lights over these?

My lights are 16 inches over the tank, so 18 inches over the waterline - 36 inches from the sand bed. I would really like to see a 250 W MH match PAR numbers (closest MH). LEDs can do it and I almost went that way - but I just liked the "look" of the plasma lighting better, and at least in my experience (which is pretty limited) the plasmas get better growth than LEDs.

If I could have another setup feee? Does that include my own private island in Fiji??? 'Cause that sounds better than plasmas. As far as lighting my reef, I wouldn't go with anything other than plasmas. My new build will be LEDs only until I can afford a new plasma fixture (already have an Evolution LED on my frag tank, so no out of pocket money).

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the reason for mounting them that high? Did they company give you this advice or was it just from par values and what exactly is the life expectancy of these bulbs.? they don't have any reflectors do they? is there a way to possibly mount reflectors to get an even bigger spread?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are 16 inches over the tank, so 18 inches over the waterline - 36 inches from the sand bed. I would really like to see a 250 W MH match PAR numbers (closest MH). LEDs can do it and I almost went that way - but I just liked the "look" of the plasma lighting better, and at least in my experience (which is pretty limited) the plasmas get better growth than LEDs.

If I could have another setup feee? Does that include my own private island in Fiji??? 'Cause that sounds better than plasmas. As far as lighting my reef, I wouldn't go with anything other than plasmas. My new build will be LEDs only until I can afford a new plasma fixture (already have an Evolution LED on my frag tank, so no out of pocket money).

I did not mean to offend you in that post not sure if i did. I do think having plasma looks cool and all, i just think they are still to new. New is not a bad thing they could be the next hot thing but not enough people have had them to really get the hobby into them IMO. I can only think of three reefers using these lights in the hole reefing community.

OP
OP
jestersix

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not mean to offend you in that post not sure if i did. I do think having plasma looks cool and all, i just think they are still to new. New is not a bad thing they could be the next hot thing but not enough people have had them to really get the hobby into them IMO. I can only think of three reefers using these lights in the hole reefing community.

No offense taken at all! Agreed, plasma is very new technology and it is a learning curve. I think that once people see how corals perform under them, popularity will rise. The other issue is color rendition, as they develop bulbs with more blue(which are in the works) they will have more eye appeal.

Regardless, I am having fun with mine and think they for sure have a future in the reefing hobby. It is fun to be on the "cutting egde" so to speak - after all, my units are beta testers, not even the finished product! My correspondence with the folks that have the new production lights says they are really a nice fixture.

OP
OP
jestersix

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the reason for mounting them that high? Did they company give you this advice or was it just from par values and what exactly is the life expectancy of these bulbs.? they don't have any reflectors do they? is there a way to possibly mount reflectors to get an even bigger spread?

Mounted them that high from personal preference - wanted them as high as I could go and keep the PAR numbers. Much easier working in the tank that way! Bulbs are expected to last appx 5 years at 10 hours per day, more if on a dimming cycle part of that time - we shallsee how it goes. They do have reflectors, from what I hear the production reflectors are much nicer than the ones on my beta units - refelctors can be ordered with a different spread and there is always the option of improved reflectors + better PAR & spread.

wvreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these will become the light of all reefers in the next 1-2 years.....Sure they only have a 5600k, so does natural sunlight and all the natural reefs are doing great with that.... we as reefers like to see more blue in our tank which is not a natural enviroment for the fish or corals.... so the growth and life of all the fish and corals will be longer as well.... hats off to stray light for an awsome product..... I will have these lights....

bbandu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know much about those lights but I do know a awesome tank when I see one. keep the pics coming would like to see how the corals progress.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back