Jewel Puffer belly lump

horsetrial

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2025
Messages
7
Reaction score
6
Location
scotland
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve never had to deal with parasites until now so I’m unsure if this is just a wound from a goby defending its cave or if my jewel puffer could potentially have a parasite of some kind.

There’s a small dark lump on his belly, it’s hard to tell if it under the skin or not











I’ve attached photos to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated
 
Hi I’ve never had to deal with parasites until now so I’m unsure if this is just a wound from a goby defending its cave or if my jewel puffer could potentially have a parasite of some kind.

There’s a small dark lump on his belly, it’s hard to tell if it under the skin or not











I’ve attached photos to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Photos not showing up. Please post a you tube video utilizing white light brightness, no blues please
 
Hi I’ve never had to deal with parasites until now so I’m unsure if this is just a wound from a goby defending its cave or if my jewel puffer could potentially have a parasite of some kind.

There’s a small dark lump on his belly, it’s hard to tell if it under the skin or not











I’ve attached photos to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Photos not showing up. Please post a you tube video utilizing white light brightness, no blues please
Thanks for the reply, I don’t know why they aren’t posting.
I’ve taken a video just now with white light, and had a look through my camera roll. I can see the lump in photos from last month, and in a video from the 23rd of August I can see a black spot in the same area that this lump has developed.



Sorry for no white light, that’s the 23rd of August video.


Here’s the link for one taken tonight

 
Thanks for the reply, I don’t know why they aren’t posting.
I’ve taken a video just now with white light, and had a look through my camera roll. I can see the lump in photos from last month, and in a video from the 23rd of August I can see a black spot in the same area that this lump has developed.



Sorry for no white light, that’s the 23rd of August video.


Here’s the link for one taken tonight


The bloating is uniform on both sides.
What foods are you feeding, how frequently and is fish breathing normal or labored?
 
I feed daily, usually a small piece of cockel and either some codepods, pellets or mysis. I try to vary beteeen those three.

My puffer has been acting as usual. active all day, begging for food at the top, eating its usual amount, no signs out of the ordinary there

I wasn’t concerned about the bloating, but I wasn’t sure how large their bellies should be.
if you look on the right side of its belly where the skin is pale, you can see a dark mark that looks like a tumour/growth/parasite.
 
I feed daily, usually a small piece of cockel and either some codepods, pellets or mysis. I try to vary beteeen those three.

My puffer has been acting as usual. active all day, begging for food at the top, eating its usual amount, no signs out of the ordinary there

I wasn’t concerned about the bloating, but I wasn’t sure how large their bellies should be.
if you look on the right side of its belly where the skin is pale, you can see a dark mark that looks like a tumour/growth/parasite.

I can see the small lesion. It really isn’t a symptom of a specific disease, more likely it is from a minor injury. If it grows larger or deeper, you would want to treat it in a hospital tank with a gram negative broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.
 
I feed daily, usually a small piece of cockel and either some codepods, pellets or mysis. I try to vary beteeen those three.

My puffer has been acting as usual. active all day, begging for food at the top, eating its usual amount, no signs out of the ordinary there

I wasn’t concerned about the bloating, but I wasn’t sure how large their bellies should be.
if you look on the right side of its belly where the skin is pale, you can see a dark mark that looks like a tumour/growth/parasite.

I can see the small lesion. It really isn’t a symptom of a specific disease, more likely it is from a minor injury. If it grows larger or deeper, you would want to treat it in a hospital tank with a gram negative broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.
Thanks for the reassurance, I’ll try keep the water clean and keep my eye on it for the time being.

Do you think esha 2000 would be a suitable treatment if it ends up getting any worse?
 
Thanks for the reassurance, I’ll try keep the water clean and keep my eye on it for the time being.

Do you think esha 2000 would be a suitable treatment if it ends up getting any worse?

I've not used that medication, it is an antiseptic, not an antibiotic....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new